WAG Travel Meets and High School

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NutterButter

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
I've always had utmost respect for the kids managing gym and high school but that has just been upped A LOT after seeing my DD get ready for her first travel meet while in high school. She goes to a public school (but rigorous and nationally ranked).

Good Grief! It has been a week. She's been up until 1am every night doing current homework and completing some of the work that is due while she is gone. She easily could have stayed up later but I put my foot down so that she has some reserves left for her trip and meet later in the week. She can manage 4 hours of sleep for a couple nights but not 6 in a row. She's had to miss almost 2 practices to work on school stuff and will probably have to miss another 1/2 practice next week to make up an exam. She doesn't like to miss practice so that had her bummed out. She knows that this will likely impact her routines. And she's pretty lucky in that she has supportive teachers who are willing to work with her on due dates and work.

I'm just venting here. It's only Wed and I'm exhausted and have been getting by with a constant supply of coffee (and I'm not the one doing the work - LOL). Sigh. If only there was a way to get extra hours in the day.

I hear you! Luckily DD hasn't had a travel meet this year after starting 9th grade. Most of our meets are local. (regionals will be a different story, if she makes it)

She does have a very tough school schedule this year with all honors classes. I can't imagine how she would do it if she had several travel meets like some friends from another gym do!

I'm already anxious and dd hasn't even started middle school yet! The increased school load makes me nervous! Sounds like your dd is on top of it, but it's a tough juggle!

My DD is only in 8th grade (but takes a math class at the high school) but already her travel is difficult to manage. Most of her meets this season involve some sort of travel. We were out of town this past weekend for a flyaway meet, and she missed last Thursday and Friday because of it. (She competed Friday, so we had to travel on Thursday.) We came home Sunday and by the time we were home, she was sick with a nasty cold. She has missed a day and a half of school this week due to being sick, and two days of practice so far. It makes me nervous to pull her out for the upcoming travel for the rest of her meets. She is a good student but this is tough.

Our school allowed a "classroom interruption" as long as I informed them in writing 2 weeks in advance of the meet. Then it was treated just as if she were on one of the school's teams who missed school for football, baseball, etc. That way there were no zeros and she had extra time to turn in assignments instead of trying to cram it all in before the meet. I just met with the principal and discussed it and he worked with us. Many of my dd's teammates are all AP students or all honors students and at least 3 of them graduated early so they could compete at college sooner. I don't know how they fit in all the homework and practice and travel, but they did. More power to all of them!

Reactions: sce
I completely feel your pain here.... this is my daughter's third year completing club gymnastics (with travel meets) while also competing on her high school team (which has up to three meets within a week's timeframe). Of course, there are the almost daily double practices on non-meet days too. While 7th and 8th grade were rough, this year (9th grade) has been worse in terms of being able to get it all done. There have been many a late night finishing up school work from her honors classes. I don't know how she functions on such little sleep. I'm exhausted just watching her! Fortunately, the high school season just ended... so she has a little more time to get it all done. I have such respect for these girls (and boys) who do what it takes to make their passion possible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back