Anon Trying out for xcel as a teen

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What is the tryout process for xcel as a teen? My DD is interested in joining xcel. Also, would she be able to train over the summer or would she have to start during the fall?

This depends on each individual club / team. You would have to ask them to get exact details.

Welcome!! if a gym has tryouts, it would likely be right around this time - may have already happened. So, If she is already taking classes in a gym, ask the coach or front staff. If gymnastics is brand new to her, then I would call the local gyms but chances are she would need to take some rec classes first

Welcome!! if a gym has tryouts, it would likely be right around this time - may have already happened. So, If she is already taking classes in a gym, ask the coach or front staff. If gymnastics is brand new to her, then I would call the local gyms but chances are she would need to take some rec classes first
She just finished her high school gymnastics season, so she has some experience. (bw on beam, kip, robhsbhs, fhs and half on on vault) She took some rec classes a while ago but didn't enjoy it too much because she was a lot more advanced than the others and coaches would have the whole class do the same thing. As a result, she didn't learn very much. This is why she wants to do xcel instead of continuing to do that rec class.

Definitely tryout. Those are some great skills… especially the kip.

I can't tell if your daughter is at a gym that has Xcel already, or would be looking to get into a gym.

I am our Xcel director's sounding board, so I will tell you about our gym:

We got our team commitments from current athletes last week and are currently working our way through our inquiries. We like to know if they've competed before, what gym they current go to, why they want to be here. For someone who isn't currently competing, we would want to know about what classes they're taking where and would request videos of skills.

I will be totally honest here: we prioritize kids who have been taking classes with us. We are inviting a certain number of new silvers to team and we have a pretty decent back up list if any of them decide not to join. If you are not currently at the gym you want to compete for, you may end up taking classes for a year first.

If you are looking at joining Xcel at your current gym and it hasn't been brought up by the coaches yet, I would start asking now! As I said, we are about to invite our new athletes to team for summer training, and we look at our advanced rec classes for that, unless one of the junior high/high school class students has already talked to us about an interest in team.

Hope that helps!

With the experience and skills you mentioned, I would think you could find a gym that would take her on. I would call around to the local ones. Try the gym that she used to go to as well since you have a history with them. She might want to ask her current High School coach for any recommendations for local gyms and they may be a good reference if the gym wants one.

Even with xcel, some gyms are very picky about age limits so you are going to want one who is open to having older gymnasts. Smaller "family" gyms tend to be more open than the larger high level gyms.

My daughter's gym has accepted new members throughout the summer before, but since so much uptraining is done in the summer, it's always been helpful to seek out a tryout during early June. I'd get on the phone now and see what's available in your area. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News