tsuk or yurchenko?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnaSTICKs

at all the meets i go to, almost all of the girls level 8 or up do yurchenko vaults... i see very, very few tsuks. just curious - why is this? if you do one of those, which one?

Where do you compete?

In NC (at least at the meets I go to), there are typically a lot of tsuks and only a couple yurchenkos.

A Yurchenko, from my observations, is harder to learn, but easier to do cleanly once learned.

Personally, I think yurchenkos are becoming the new Tsuk now that the vault table makes it safer and easier to perform them. I have also noticed that a lot more level 8s are competing yurchenkos instead of tusks. I competed both vaults, and I personally think that the yurchenko was easier to do; plus, it gave me more options for vaults.

I compete a yurchenko layout full. I was learning a tuck tsuk when I was going into level 8, but I never competed it. In my opinion, a tsuk is harder to perform twisting and higher difficulty vaults on. The yurchenko has more options- tuck, pike, layout, twist, half-on, front pike off, etc. Plus, it is easier to get the start values up. However, I do see more guys in gymnastics doing front entry and tsuk entry vaults than us girls.

In our gym in the US, girls were training both. Right now, my daughter is training her tsuke. I thought it might be because her gym is called Tsukahara Gymnastics in Japan and the gym is run by Mitsuo Tsukahara who was the first man to compete the move. I just asked her and she said girls are training and competing both. Most of the elite girls are actually competing the yurchecko. She said they told her which vault she would do so maybe they can determine with would be best for her to start with based on her strengths and weaknesses.

My dd did a handspring-full as a level 8 only because her coach did not bother to teach her a tsuk. There was no reason for that as she was doing 9.5 handsprings as a level 7. Everyone else on the team did tsuks, but they were somewhat weak. As a result, when dd 'hit' her handspring-full, she was scoring higher than many of the tsuks, even though the start value of a handspring-full was only a 9.4. After the season, she learned a handspring front tuck. She is in the process of learning tsuks. Does anyone know which of these skills has a higher start value?

Okay, can someone please explain (in great detail) what a yurchenko is and what a tsuk is? I've tried to find info online but in the videos, it's performed so fast I can't tell what they're doing.

Basically a yurchenko vault is all vaults with a round-off entry. A round-off onto the springboard and a back handspring onto vaulting table. from the bhs the gymnast would perform some sort of salto - there are many - before landing their feet on the mat.

A tsuk is any vault that has a handspring with 1/4 - 1/2 turn onto the vault table into a salto backwards is classified as a Tsukahara vault. Basically a punch off the springboard round-off on the vault table, then some sort of backward salto.

Where do you compete?

In NC (at least at the meets I go to), there are typically a lot of tsuks and only a couple yurchenkos.

A Yurchenko, from my observations, is harder to learn, but easier to do cleanly once learned.

I compete in the Minnesota/Wisconsin area - interesting how gymnasts in different states have tendencies to do different skills.

Around here, most L8s do a tsuk pike or fhs full. A few do yurchenkos---at L9 you see quite alot of them. Some of this may be that yurchenkos weren't even competed at L8 until about 2 yrs ago. My gymmie is training both tsuk and yurchenko timers right now in anticipation of moving up to L8. At our previous gym(which had them make the jump from L6 to L8) they spent about 1-2 weeks on the basics of the tsuk and then spent all their time on yurchenkos. Right now, my gymmie wants badly to do a yurchenko---she as others have mentioned feel once you get the RO/BHS timing down, the vault is easier to "flip" than the tsuk. I told her thats between her and the coaches!

My DD is also hoping to go to 8 this year.. and is training a Tsuk.

Personally, I think she would do better training a Yurchenko, but the L8's in our gym do Tsuks. or Handsprings... I have been thinking of questioning why, but just havent yet.

I see a lot of tsuks and HS Fulls in competition as well not Many Yurchenkos.

Scoring wise, vaulting is going toward the yurchenko vaults. However, you'll still see the front handspring vaults for those vaulters who are extremely powerful.

Tsuks or Kaz need really strong front handspring vaulting to make it anything big. It can be easier to just train the yurchenko since there is so much turnover towards other events.

I was told use the yurchenko vaults for the athletes who have really solid back tumbling. Tsuks or Kaz could be used for the not so great back tumblers ( athletes with crummy round offs that and back tumbling that isn't straight ).

You'll still with most of the level 8's and 9's that their turnover off the table from the round off or back handspring is poor. Lot of scary near clipping the back of their head on the bottom lip of the table.

However, coaches go this route since it is also best scoring wise. How many girls do we have that can do front hand front in compared to the rest? Front hand twisting is just difficult to land. It's a real chore and often the vault if they don't have their tsuk or yurchenko down yet.

My dd is training both Tsuk and Yurchenko timers, but has been told that she will be doing the Yurchenko for L8 - I really don't care as long as she has one of them down by next season. The girls in dd's level are training both and depending on each girl's strengths will determine who is doing what.

I have been told that the Yurchenko is more of a finesse vault, while the Tsuk is more of a power vault. I guess that makes sense in reading the previous posters on this thread.

TO me it seems like a tsuk would be easier to learn since it does not have as many steps involved then a yurchenko.My daughter competed a piked tsuk last season and it does seem like it is hard to score high.Here is a vid of her competing it at a meet.Had her highest score there of the season,it was a 9.3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZdbiTew7C4

yurchencos are SO EASY thats why. Its so much easier to get power out of a yurchenco.

I have still seen relatively few yurchenkos in L8 here (region 7, VA). I think tsuks are still more common overall. By L9 it is a different story but most of the coaches I know are still teaching the mechanics of the flipping vault by starting with the tsuk and doing tsuk drills like going off a wedge mat into the pit. For a first year 8, by the time competition season comes around they usually end up doing a tsuk because the yurchenko isn't ready for a competition warm up/unfamiliar setting. The L8s at my gym have been working both simultaneously but all of them got a tsuk that was at least safe, if not beautiful, much faster. Most of them are still going to be a year off the yurchenko even by next season by my estimates and all of them competed tsuks this year, and will probably be 8s again.

It is the opposite here too, lots of girls compete the Tsukahara and it is very rare to see a Yurchenko. I beleive it is because the Tucked and Pike Tsukahara are optional vaults for level 6 here so the girls just start working them earlier, but they aren't allowed to attempt the Yurchenko until level 7.

The Yurchenko vault is often easier for female gymnasts as it reqyuires less power that a Tsukahara. The round off entry generates more power to do their saults so they find it easier.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back