WAG Tsuk progression

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
So DD has recently begun flipping her tsuks into the pit off of what I call a mouse door mat and is so eager to move to the table. My question is to prepare my poor weak heart for what comes next.

How will her coaches progress her from the mouse door mat to the table? As the mother of this child, it is terrifying to think about. In the past, the coaches make what seem like baby steps and before I knew it, she was doing whatever skill. I love how safe they make it and how my heart has always been out of "failure" danger. :D

However, I'll be honest....I can't see a baby step between mouse door and table that doesn't involve fractures and braces. So walk me through what the next few steps might be.

Tips to prepare you? Don't watch practice! Seriously, flipping vaults will likely be the least of your worries - release moves on bars, doubles on bars and floor, flips on beam, the list goes on. Oh, and my other big tip - trust her coaches.

I can give you a little color on the progression, but it's just based on what DD's told me and I'm sure every gym is different. It's mainly to show there's a series of baby steps that could go in between. I'm not sure what a 'mouse door mat' is, but they started vaulting off mats, then off mats into the pit, then off the trainer vault into the pit (is that the MDM??), then off the table. Once on the table, there's a progression from 2 mats, to 1 mat, to hard mat. The mats are soft so the more mats, the softer it is. DD said they initially didn't want them to land, but wanted them to over rotate and roll out onto the mats (I think it was over rotate). DD also has migrated from a tuck tsuk to a pike tsuk as a progression. Different girls on DDs team (L7 this past year) are at different stages in the process. I think 1 or 2 haven't flipped at all off the regular vault (fear issues). Some are using 1, 2 or no mats. I haven't had the opportunity to see DD flip hers yet, but she keeps telling me the coaches love what she's doing.

I was also really nervous hearing everyone talk about how scary it was to watch, but honestly it doesn't sound that bad hearing DD talk -- I think because there is a progression. It will be fine!! But I can say that because I haven't seen DD do it yet. :)

Well, I work at her gym so unless I walk around with my eyes shut.... LOL

I don't want to think THAT far ahead, Meet Director! I was just trying to wrap my mind around my current worries. And believe me, I totally trust her coaches! She has been at her gym for 5 years and has never had a single injury or accident. I'm just someone who likes to know what's coming up.....

I can give you a little color on the progression, but it's just based on what DD's told me and I'm sure every gym is different. It's mainly to show there's a series of baby steps that could go in between. I'm not sure what a 'mouse door mat' is, but they started vaulting off mats, then off mats into the pit, then off the trainer vault into the pit (is that the MDM??), then off the table. Once on the table, there's a progression from 2 mats, to 1 mat, to hard mat. The mats are soft so the more mats, the softer it is. DD said they initially didn't want them to land, but wanted them to over rotate and roll out onto the mats (I think it was over rotate). DD also has migrated from a tuck tsuk to a pike tsuk as a progression. Different girls on DDs team (L7 this past year) are at different stages in the process. I think 1 or 2 haven't flipped at all off the regular vault (fear issues). Some are using 1, 2 or no mats. I haven't had the opportunity to see DD flip hers yet, but she keeps telling me the coaches love what she's doing.

I was also really nervous hearing everyone talk about how scary it was to watch, but honestly it doesn't sound that bad hearing DD talk -- I think because there is a progression. It will be fine!! But I can say that because I haven't seen DD do it yet. :)

This is exactly what I needed to hear! Thank you. We don't have a trainer vault. What I'm calling a mouse door mat is a mat that is flat on one side and then is an arch. It looks like the shape that you would use to plug up Jerry the Mouse's doorway in Tom's house.

If it helps you relax, it was about 1.5 - 2 years between when my dd started the basics of a flipping vault before she had to actually train it on the table (after Level 5) and then almost 6 months of doing them on the table before competing them!

When I learned a tsuk we did half ons on the table. Then my coach just yelled "flip!" after a few turns. So I did. And I landed on my face.

Haha but I was fine and I got up to do it again. And I landed on my face, again.

I eventually got a great tsuk and went on to get a layout and twist and do all sorts of things before switching to yurchenkos.

I'm sure your DD will be fine:)

Most likely a lot of drills over the table onto a stack of mats. maybe some over the mouse door onto a mat in the pit then a lot of spotting.

Most likely a lot of drills over the table onto a stack of mats.

Ding ding ding!!!! Funnily enough, this is what they did last night. I felt so cool when one of the other mom's muttered "what in the world are they doing?" because I knew what they were doing!

DD's coach and I were talking about another matter and I expressed how scary it was to think about DD flipping a vault. She just pish poshed me and said she was still several months away from actually flipping them and at least a good year and a half away from competing them. Crisis diverted. LOL

I learned tsuks by doing half on tuck back and flipping from standing. Then one session my coach put a stack of mats by the pit and told us to do half on and flip. I landed in a heap plenty of times but I was fine.

From what I've seen, you go from doing them off a mat to doing it off the vault and into a pit. The risk for injury is pretty low if she does it into a pit though. After that, there comes a point where you just gotta go for it!

Generally, the progression goes something like this:

Step 1) Tsuk into a pit
Step 2) Repeat step 1 approximately 90432865874329865903257980327590 times.
Step 3) Tsuk to a mat in the pit (or to a resi)
Step 4) Repeat step 3 approximately 94874732983474659834876984385873 times
Step 5) Tsuk outside a pit.

Quite simply, by the time she does it outside of the pit, she'll have done so many that she could do it in her sleep.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back