WAG tuck to layout

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Malaika

Coach
How long does it usually take a gymnast with a nice RO BH BT to get to RO BH BL if they know how to do a Layout on trampoline?

To me, it feels like once you know the shape of a layout it is easier to control than a tuck, but you need so much more power and really need to have a strong RO BH.

What is your opinion? How long did it take you or your child/gymnasts?

Thanks

It didn't seem to take long at all. Feels like they spent maybe a couple days spotting BLOs and then throwing them. But my memory could be faulty as it's been longer than I care to admit.

hmmmm...DD learned her ROBHSBT in January and was doing ROBHSLO that summer...I'm pretty sure LO on tramp happened in between. DS older was similarly a few months. DS younger is having trouble not piking his LO...back and front, for that matter, but he has more form issues than the other two. In general the transition from level 5/old 6 to 7 on floor seemed easy for more kids, but both of my kids teams (at the time) were in general strong on floor and sticklers for strong ROs with rebound, then strong solid BHS with rebound before moving on...

I think it took my DD to learn the LO the first time just a couple of months but now she is having issues with it. I guess her coach says it is more of a whip than a LO. But not long to learn the first time.

I find layouts (back) much easier than a tuck I think it's just the way I like to leans with my toes and hips I got my round off layout and layout half twist on the floor same night

I think it took my DD to learn the LO the first time just a couple of months but now she is having issues with it. I guess her coach says it is more of a whip than a LO. But not long to learn the first time.
My DD just started doing her ROBHSBLO again after 9 months and her coach actually had her train whips for a while, then ROwhipBT before asking her to do the LO - seems to be working, although she says they are "low and terrible"....but what can you expect after stopping at ROBHS for 9 months, LOL....my DD is almost done growing, etc...hoping yours slides through this ugly phase smoothly!

My daughter could do a crappy archy and/or pikey layout pretty much instantly after getting her tuck (she could do both on the tumble track before she was able to do the tuck on a regular floor).

That said, it took her almost a year from when she had a good tuck to get a *nice* high layout w/ a straight body that she lands w/ her chest up.

IMO a layout on floor is one of those skills that isn't hard to "get", but it can take a while to perfect sometimes. I think the easiest part is getting the legs straight, everything else can take work for some kids.

My DD just started doing her ROBHSBLO again after 9 months and her coach actually had her train whips for a while, then ROwhipBT before asking her to do the LO - seems to be working, although she says they are "low and terrible"....but what can you expect after stopping at ROBHS for 9 months, LOL....my DD is almost done growing, etc...hoping yours slides through this ugly phase smoothly!

That is exactly what mine says are like right now too! Very low and whippy. DD also had a rough year and didn't train much all school year AND grew 4 inches! I think she has a 2 or 3 more inches to go before she stops. Hard to tell. She has definitely enter puberty so hopeful it is almost over :)

Here's hoping both our girls move smoothly out of this "ugly" phase quickly!

yeah - when my DD was a first learning her Layout they were whippy - now the difference is clear - to me the whip looks like a flippy thing and the lay out looks like a flying thing....when my 2 older do them - my youngest sometimes has to clarify for me which he was TRYING to do....LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back