Parents Tuition During the Pandemic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kari

Proud Parent
I'm curious how other gyms handled this. It seems like most gyms either discounted tuition or offered zoom lessons while they were shut down. Ours did neither of these. We got our new contract and it strongly implies that if the gym closes or girls need to quarantine because of gym exposure, we are still responsible for full tuition. Is this the situation for anyone else?

We had ours suspended during the first shut down, but most parents paid anyway. If the gym is shutdown again, we will continue to pay simply because I want my daughter to have a gym to return to. We have already lost 65 gyms nationwide, and I’m sure there are more to come. Having said that, I understand not everyone is in the same financial/work situation (I never stopped working), so I think individual circumstances should be accounted for. They did offer Zoom sessions, but I would have paid even if they didn’t.

We had about a month we didnt pay anything then they offered zoom classes but they were not near full tuition cost. We do not have an annual contract so I would assume that if there was another shut down we would just do zoom at a reduced cost. If they asked for full tuition with zoom only classes I would consider it based on a variety of factors but would prefer not to pay full price if she is not receiving in gym instruction.

Paid in full for March. No tuition for April, May, June. Summer training starting in July when the gym re-opened. We did have 2-4 zoom sessions per week during May and June but still no tuition.

We paid for March in full, and then were offered choices for April. You could pay in full, and then when things opened back up they would take $100 a month off each month until you got that back, or you could choose not to pay at all.

Then in mid-April they started zoom classes you could pay for, and those continued into May. They were not the full tuition.

When we started back up with personal training in mid-May, you paid for those individually. Then partial tuition in June, back to full in July.

They offered all choices... 1) don’t pay and don’t lose your spot but no access to zoom training 2) continue to pay monthly and get 8 hours of zoom training and a future discount 3) pay ahead for multiple months and get a big discount plus a month free in the winter.
The response was varied but most continued to pay as they could as they valued the gym and wanted to see it stay afloat.
We are back to full hours in the gym for now.

During the shut down we had zoom training. We could pay a reduced cost (and then incur an increase when the new year started in July). Or continue paying our regular rates and and lock in rates for the upcoming year. Our hours are still reduced (11 hours in gym + 2 zoom for L9).

We were only charged a small amount, about 20% of normal tuition, and had zoom lessons twice a week. So your gym charged full tuition, but offered no zoom at all? I feel like that’s the first time I’ve heard of that scenario! I think I’d want to clarify if there’d be any zoom if we do shut down again in the fall?

We had ours suspended during the first shut down, but most parents paid anyway. If the gym is shutdown again, we will continue to pay simply because I want my daughter to have a gym to return to. We have already lost 65 gyms nationwide, and I’m sure there are more to come. Having said that, I understand not everyone is in the same financial/work situation (I never stopped working), so I think individual circumstances should be accounted for. They did offer Zoom sessions, but I would have paid even if they didn’t.
I couldn't find anything about gym closings because od Covid-19, can you please provide a link if there is any, or where did you get this info? My DD's gym closed too :(

I couldn't find anything about gym closings because od Covid-19, can you please provide a link if there is any, or where did you get this info? My DD's gym closed too :(

Updated 7/26/2020

******Gyms that are closing permanently******

Spivey's Gymnastics - Valdosta, GA

Flip Fusion - Oregon City, OR

Northwest Gymnastics Academy - Spokane, WA

Bucks Gymnastics Center II Inc - Fallsington, MA Dobre Gymnastics Academy - Gaithersburg, MD

Head over Heels, Polson, MT

Gymnastika - Arvada, CO

American Eagles Gymnastics - Cincinnati, OH

Flip Gym, Charleston & Bluffton, SC

GymZzouri Gymnastics, Jefferson City, MO

World Elite Gymnastics, Ontario, Ontario, CA

MarVaTots n' Teens Gymnastics, Rockville, MD

Southern Coast Gymnastics, Corpus Christi TX

Gym Kidz, FL...closing 1 location.

North Shore Gymnastics, Elkton, MD

HHGC Elite Gymnastics Center, Vidor, TX

The Mega Gym, Leander, TX

Pomeroy Gymnastics, Glenelg, MD

Flip Dunk Sports, Phoenix, AZ

Katy Kips Gymnastics Club, Katy, TX

Platinum Sports Center, Simi Valley, CA

CRAG Gymnastics, Cedar Rapids, IA, merged with Twisters Gymnastics

Turners Tumbling, Jerseyville, IL

Flip n Twist Gymnastics, Hamilton, OH

Miss Frans Dance & Tumbling Studio, Ponca City, OK

All Ranks Academy of Gymnastics, New Bedford, MA

Rise Gymnastics, Sioux City, IA

Miller's Gymnastics Academy, Midland, TX

Gymnastique International, Riverside, CA

I Flip Gymnastics, St Cloud, FL

The Little Gym of Charlottesville, Charlottesville, VA

Jersey Shore Gymnastics Academy, Mays Landing, NJ

My Gym Chesterfield, Chesterfield, MO

Park Avenue Gymnastics of Westin, FL

Alabama Elite Gymnastics Academy, Dothan, AL

Northwest Aerials, Kirkland, WA

Seattle Pacific University Gymnastics, Seattle, WA

Falcon Gymnastics, Seattle, WA

Twin Lakes Gymnastics, Palm Beach, FL

Gymnaworld Gymnastics, Noblesville, IN

Leap of Faith Gymnastics, Clarion, PA

Buffalo Grove Gymnastics Center, Buffalo Grove, IL

Nebraska Gold Gymnastics Omaha, NE

Studio West Gymnastics, Torrence, CA

Champions Gymnastics Academy, Raytown, MO

Raeford Gymnastics Academy, Raeford, NC

Sitka Gymnastics, Sitka, AK

Flipside Gymnastics, Torrence, CA

Kids First, Cedar Rapids, IA

Stars Gymnastics, Covina, CA

Action Gymnastics, Millstone, NJ

Long Island Gymnastics Academy, Cedarhurst, NY

Paul Ruggeri Gymnastics, New York, NY

Nassau Gymnastics Center, North Bellmore, NY

Relentless Gymnastics, Philadelphia, PA

Carolina Elite, Lancaster, SC

Funtastics, Scituate, MA

Demaray’s Gymnastics, Fremont, CA

OC Gymnastics, Hillsborough, NC

Junior Gym, San Mateo, CA

The Gymnastic Place, Uxbridge, MA

Ridgecrest Gymnastics Academy, Ridgecrest, CA

Gymnastics Plus, Arkadelphia, AR

Riverbend Gymnastics, Waynesville, MO

Updated 7/26/2020

Bucks Gymnastics Center II Inc - Fallsington, MA Dobre Gymnastics Academy - Gaithersburg, MD

Gymnastika - Arvada, CO

Funtastics, Scituate, MA

Omg this is so sad....

This is so sad. I don’t recognize any gyms from my immediate area. There are a lot in WA. I didn’t know that Paul Ruggeri had a gym either. Our gym expected full tuition and offered 5 hours of zoom a week but they were willing to work with you if you couldn’t justify full tuition or could not pay I believe.

Updated 7/26/2020

Gymnastika - Arvada, CO

Funtastics, Scituate, MA

And while some gyms closed completely, several in my area cut their team program entirely and are now only doing rec (with a few still doing xcel). So the loss to team gymnastics is even greater.

That’s our situation; I think we’re in the same area. JO was cut but we still have Xcel. A few new girls from one of the closed gyms on this list have come for skills assessments while I’ve been there, but many families seemed to have disappeared. I’m not sure if they’ve gone to more competitive gyms or quit. My friend’s daughter is on a wait list for her level because it reached all of the training sessions reached their 5 person cap, but my daughter’s session has only 2 girls. I haven’t been at the gym during rec or day camp but they must be doing ok because the lights are still on. Our fees have gone down slightly because everyone is getting less time per week to accommodate occupancy limits.

We got our new contract and it strongly implies that if the gym closes or girls need to quarantine because of gym exposure, we are still responsible for full tuition. Is this the situation for anyone else?

Ours states this directly, that in the event of a covid closure they will move to zoom but tuition will remain the same with no refunds. It gave me pause, but I understand they have to have that policy in order to stay afloat and the only alternative is to quit gym - which isn’t something we would consider at this point. So, I just had to swallow the pill and sign it.

Ours states this directly, that in the event of a covid closure they will move to zoom but tuition will remain the same with no refunds. It gave me pause, but I understand they have to have that policy in order to stay afloat and the only alternative is to quit gym - which isn’t something we would consider at this point. So, I just had to swallow the pill and sign it.
I think that’s awesome that they spell it out, and awesome that they would have zoom. I totally get that a gym needs the funds to survive. I was very happy how my gym handled it. But I would want to know if OP’s gym would offer zoom if they shut down since they did not before. I think it’s reasonable to expect some type of training if it’s at all possible if you’re paying the full amount?

But I would want to know if OP’s gym would offer zoom if they shut down since they did not before. I think it’s reasonable to expect some type of training if it’s at all possible if you’re paying the full amount?

Ah, I missed that detail. I agree - the gym should be offering something in exchange, and the expectation should be spelled out in the contract so that everyone is on the same page.

So sad to lose so many gyms. I fear that list will just get longer.

Our gym suspended tuition and provided free zoom workouts, but I believe that all families that could pay continued to do so and more. I know one parent offered free legal services so they could renegotiate their lease as well. Our gym owners are amazing and my dds coach is like family. The team rallied to support them. I am grateful and hope so much our small gym can stay afloat through all this.

We are in WA. I also know Seattle Gymnastics Academy cut their JO program. This doesn’t surprise me though. Their team program has been a mess for years. These team kids were forced to scatter. I heard from parents there that it was super stressful to find a spot. Very competitive as most gyms don’t have a lot of room to build their team numbers during this time.

I also heard that northwest in Spokane was actually purchased by another gym in town and that it had been in the works before this happened. Their team kids and coaches are still in the same location. So that is good news.

really sad about SPU. Hate to lose a college program But they were also looking at closing the program before this happened. D2 gym programs are few and far between and the closest d2 program was over 1000 miles away.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back