Parents Tumbling necessary? Advice for a newbie, please :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mary89

Proud Parent
Hi all! My 7 year old son has been in gymnastics for 3 months now. He is obesessed and I am kind of shocked how hard he works at this. He says he wants to become a champion gymnast lol! I really know nothing about gymnastics but would like to support him in trying to reach competition level (hopefully) one day. I can see it's a difficult path.

His coach has moved him up to the 8+ recreational group and invited him to the 8+ tumbling 1 class. Is this a necessary class for him? I have briefly looked into tumbling and found there are lots of amazing skills taught, but had a friend who said it was a cheerleading skill. That doesn't sound right to be, but I would rather ask. Is it necessary? Do you have any other tips for us?

We are in the triangle area of NC.

Is he in a gym that has a boys competitive team or just boys rec classes? There aren't many boys teams in the triangle but it is worth getting him into one now if he wants to compete someday. And yes the tumbling class with help him, as long as it is taught as a gymnastics tumbling class, not a cheer tumbling class.

if he loves it, he's going to want more. so yes, tumbling would be a good experience for him.

I don't know about that specific class, but tumbling is used in gymnastics too, not just cheer. If the coach wants him in both classes then it probably is beneficial.

When my ds was in just a weekly class I thought about adding in a tumbling class. With all the upper body events boys have, it doesn't hurt to get in more tumbling. Is he at a gym with a boys team? Is preteam an option? There aren't many boys teams in your area.

Reactions: sce
I have no idea about boy's gymnastics classes, but I do live in the triangle area so if you have any questions about gyms in the area in general, you can send me a direct message. :)

Reactions: sce
You can look at meetscorescoresonline.com
for your men's state results this from year. This will narrow down gyms that offer a boys jo team, and then see if any are near you (if your current gym isn't an option).

Level 4 State results (men's first competitive level) are under Session 7 in the drop-down menu.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back