turning one hand in on back handsprings and other skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was working on back extension rolls and back handsprings down a wedge tonight and I realized that I always turn my left hand in for both of these skills. I'm guessing I've been doing it for a while and probably on other skills too, but tonight was the first time I noticed it. If I raise my arms straight above my head without thinking about anything, my left hand naturally turns in. Here are my questions:
1. Why would I be doing this?
2. How do I fix it?
3. Is it a huge problem if I don't fix it?

Thanks!

I was going to say that my daughter's coach says both hands should be turned in. Make a diamond shape with your hand. Even if that diamond is "open" that's okay. Her coach also said he'd rather they point straight in then go out at all, but we're just going for that diamond shape. The reason for this is because it puts less stress on the elbows and less wrist pain.

My daughter has the opposite problem where her hands point a little out. But already within a day of starting her band handsprings she had them pointed straight and today she had them pointed *slightly* in. It's all just forming new habits, but you should have your coach show you the exact hand position he/she wants from you.

I was going to say that my daughter's coach says both hands should be turned in. Make a diamond shape with your hand. Even if that diamond is "open" that's okay. Her coach also said he'd rather they point straight in then go out at all, but we're just going for that diamond shape. The reason for this is because it puts less stress on the elbows and less wrist pain.

My daughter has the opposite problem where her hands point a little out. But already within a day of starting her band handsprings she had them pointed straight and today she had them pointed *slightly* in. It's all just forming new habits, but you should have your coach show you the exact hand position he/she wants from you.

I'm not sure if you're talking about elastic bands holding her arms closer together or turning her hands inward, or both. I'm hoping this id not the first step toward "cyborg" evolution, and these bands are going to be used for a very short period of time. Your daughter has muscles in her shoulers and arms that will keep her hands in the right position, and I hope her coach will teach her how to use those muscles. I've tried bands before, and feel their only use is to prove to the gymnast two things.....That they don't have the ability to use their muscles to solve the problem, and that they can survive the hands "turned in" position.

LOL sorry. I said "band" when I meant "back" This is what I get for typing late at night. There are no bands involved. I didn't even know such things existed :) We do everything through muscle memory. So at home, sometimes I'll just blurt out "back handspring hands!" and she throw her arms up with her hands in the right position. She thinks it's funny and then her brothers do it, too. She still turns them out when she goes back, but it's improving a lot. They aren't straight out anymore, only turned out slightly, and more and more she is getting them "straight" or turned slightly in. I'm sure she'll have it resolved within a week. She hasn't been doing it long for the bad habit to be hard to break, so we're working on it now. But, no bands :)

Try "wrestling" with her hands in the turned in, ams extended overhead as she would have them during a bhs. She tries to keep them turned in while you slowly "win" the battle and bring them to a nearly neutral, but still turned slighly in orientation. Muscle memorizing works best when you have a sensation to remember. She will do best if she creates the sensation responsible for the position as opposed to just creating the position......if you get what I mean.

I get what you mean and that's a GREAT idea :) She's probably think that's fun, too haha

Thanks for the tip!

I thought I replied to this earlier :(

We tried it, and my daughter thought it was fun and said "again, again!" Then, immediately her hand placement improved on her back handspring.

We will do this before back handsprings a while longer just to ensure she forms the good habit, but it definitely worked in her case.

I hope the OP is having success with this.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and thoughts in this thread! I have basically resolved the issue now :) I guess it's easier to get your hand to turn in when the other hand is already turning in!

I thought I replied to this earlier :(

We tried it, and my daughter thought it was fun and said "again, again!" Then, immediately her hand placement improved on her back handspring.

We will do this before back handsprings a while longer just to ensure she forms the good habit, but it definitely worked in her case.

I hope the OP is having success with this.

Always glad to be of service!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back