Parents Twins behavior (or misbehavior!) together

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mum0twins

Hi all! I'm new to CB, been following for some time but now decided to make an account as I hope you can all give me some advice. I have identical twin daughters in gymnastics. They are 6 yrs old and this is their 2nd year in gymnastics. This is not about rivalry, they get along pretty well, constantly encourage each other and they are happy when the other wins a meet. They are quite advanced, especially for their age and will probably be moving up the level 4 next yr. However I have had a quite a few complaints from their coaches and it seems like some complaints came from other parents in their group about their behavior in practice. They seem to enjoy giggling together, playing little pranks together and in general causing disruption as they are very confident and sometimes get a bit wild. I don't want to separate them as they enjoy being together and are on the same level but the coaches find it very hard to coach them when they act like this. Also their team-mates don't like and one complained of being teased by my twins. I can see they are both naturally talented and enjoy their gymnastics so I want them to be able to progress as they could if they didn't mess around.
Does anyone have any ideas, advice or experience I could tell the coaches? Preferably without separating them!
Sorry for the long post:)

I am a coach and a mother of twins. They are six. Except for the teasing, that is normal six year old behavior with their best friend. Definitely talk to them about the teasing and don’t worry about the rest. The coach should be able to control them by not putting them by each other in line or using side stations.

I have 6 year old twins, not identical but actually they have occasionally been separated from time to time for messing around in class. I guess it's not the advice you want to hear lol. My twins like to mess around but I have made it very clear to them that when they do they are taking time away from the other kids because the coach has to stop and "babysit" them. I've sat in a few practices and pulled one or both out to sit on the bleachers for 15 minutes. In the past I just asked coaches to keep them in different groups or not let them partner up for a bit and talked to them about the same as well. I explained that they have all day at home to play with each other and gym was a great opportunity to meet other girls and make friends. They seem to have matured a bit this year, they're almost 7 and don't mess around with each other as much. But I've spent a lot of time since they were 3 working on this! They still have a tight twin bond and love gymnastics but I just think they need to respect the coaches and the environment. They've actually gotten hurt messing around on beam before so that was a good teaching point as well and a reason not to partner up.

That’s tough. I have an opposite sex twin and it made it easier for my parents to put us in mostly separate classes and activities. People worry about disrupting twins’ special bonds, but it’s so important to help them learn to build and nurture strong relationships outside of their twin while they’re still young. My daughter has had girls in her group who were same-age cousins and I think they had struggles similar to those of your daughters. I don’t think it’s the same as just best friend relationships. Close sisters/twins/cousins have a way of short-circuiting a coach’s attempt to separate them or put them in different groups because they just need eye contact or a certain facial expression to communicate and distract each other. It sounds like they’re pretty accomplished for their age so their skills might not match their emotional maturity, which will stand out even more to the coaches and other girls if they’re with a group of girls who are close to the 7-9 age range. Any separation would be good! If you can’t get them in separate training groups, are they in separate classrooms at school? That’s not gymnastics-related, but would be my first step.

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Do we know that the troll was in fact from the UK because Mum0twins commented on the thread for gym recommendations in Seattle and said they knew someone in preschool classes there..Seriously, is there nothing better to do?
Their IP addresses both came from the UK and they were also the same IP addresses..

Do we know that the troll was in fact from the UK because Mum0twins commented on the thread for gym recommendations in Seattle and said they knew someone in preschool classes there..Seriously, is there nothing better to do?
Her conversational use of the word "whilst" in that other thread was suggestive of UK origins. :D I think the double front E dismount on level 9 by the very young 10 year old that earned a 9.85 sent me over the edge. She "nailed it!"

Why on earth would anyone do this?? I didn’t even open this thread bc the topic didn’t interest me, then I saw it had a lot of responses, which made me curious. What odd trolling behavior.

Reactions: SMH
It could have just been a desire for attention or something worse. The primary persona was posting things to try to get engagement from people who have children on elite track. That is worrisome, because over time they could have built up enough trust to exchange PMs, etc. The persona that started this thread was a throwaway created just to try to bolster the credibility of the primary persona.

The interesting thing to me is that the fake "my relative/child the amaaaaazing young gymnast" posters always seem to get caught because they push it just a little too far. An amazing 10 year old L9 who may skip right to 10 and is working on a pak and a triple series on beam? Sure, why not. An 11 year old L10 at nationals? Fine. But no, it has to be an E dismount on bars and the youngest ever in the region to qualify to nationals.

Kudos to the community for a good catch. I'll admit that I was just sitting back and watching you all doing the cat and mouse thing and "grinning my head off."

It could have just been a desire for attention or something worse. The primary persona was posting things to try to get engagement from people who have children on elite track. That is worrisome, because over time they could have built up enough trust to exchange PMs, etc. The persona that started this thread was a throwaway created just to try to bolster the credibility of the primary persona.

The interesting thing to me is that the fake "my relative/child the amaaaaazing young gymnast" posters always seem to get caught because they push it just a little too far. An amazing 10 year old L9 who may skip right to 10 and is working on a pak and a triple series on beam? Sure, why not. An 11 year old L10 at nationals? Fine. But no, it has to be an E dismount on bars and the youngest ever in the region to qualify to nationals.

Kudos to the community for a good catch. I'll admit that I was just sitting back and watching you all doing the cat and mouse thing and "grinning my head off."
Clearly, I should pay better attention! I'd just started completely skimming over any of the flops posts because the "My little sister is amazing!" schtick got old really quick.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back