Parents Twisties

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

bluegoldbeauty

My DD can’t do any tumbling at the moment, because she always twists and is not able to control it.
Any Tips how we as parents can help with this?

As a parent you really can't do much, other than step back and let her coaches work with her. Mental blocks are quite common and good coaches should work with the gymnast on a plan. Focusing on it, talking about too much, any type of pushing or excessive "encouragement" can only make it worse. If it continues, and your daughter is open to therapy-type situations, there are many good mental coaches online who specialize in these types of sports issues..

The best thing you can do as a parent is not pressure her about it. Don't offer any rewards/punishments. Don't even ask her about it, but be willing to talk about it if she brings it up.

Stress and pressure feed mental blocks.

You can find a qualified sports hypnotherapist. They teach athletes how to go into a deep state of relaxation and "fix" the skill in their head, which makes it much easier to fix in the gym. In 1996, I had an athlete work with one and the results were so impressive I have continued to recommend this to athletes with any type of mental block.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back