Twisting out of front handsprings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Salto

Gymnast
Okay, I need help! I am a level 5/6 gymnast and i went to do a front handspring a few days ago and I cant! I have had my front handspring for years and I cant do it at all anymore! I put my hands down then just twist out of it like a cartwheel or round-off. Help Me PLEASE!!!!

I'm going to be on team so I'm not even at a level yet though I have level 3-4ish skills. I got my FHS a few weeks ago on the second try and now I make sure to do them once a week so I don't lose them. Practice going into a handstand a the push off when you're in the handstand. Drive your heels into the mat and squeeze your body tight and forward hard. If you keep doing the twist thing, then I suggest doing it over a small hexagon wedge we use.

gymnastics=10% talent 90% hard work

Gotta commit.

Do a bunch of visualization, do some other FHS drills.

Get a beatboard and crash mat and do them putting hands on the beatboard and landing on your back. Once you can feel the prop happening try them to land on your feet on the pit mat (or what I think you call a resi).

Well.. Front handsprings are very similar to front walkovers, so try a very fast front walkover... do you do the same thing??? If so, It is probably the momentum that you're only used to in a roundoff. Although I have never had that problem, I know that the best thing you can do s just keep practicing front walkovers and limbers, and try to do them as fast as you can without twisting! :)

Work handstand rolls and handstand to bridge without twisting. If you have a tumble trak, you can do multiple handstand pops connected and try to stay as straight as possible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back