WAG ugg. Strained tendon advice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LJL07

Proud Parent
Any treatment advice for strained finger tendon? It's just a nagging thing. She can make a fist. Pain is mostly on hyperextending the finger. We've been kind of lax with taking care of it, so we are going on two months now. We did see the ortho, and he didn't feel she needs to stay off of it yet. Should we splint it when she's not at gym? If it's not better in a couple of weeks with icing and taping, we will get an MRI. She's training level 8 so she didn't want to fully immobilize it, but would that be the better thing to do?

I completely agree with @Jard.the.gymnast. That doesn't sound like an awesome doctor.

We can't give you medical advice, as per both the rules and common sense. I will say, though, to make sure your daughter isn't doing anything that causes pain, whilst you wait for the appointment. Don't let gymnastics affect her long term health. It's just a finger in this case, but it would be a poor precedent to set, to be training needlessly through pain.

I wish your daughter a speedy recovery.

She's training level 8 so she didn't want to fully immobilize it, but would that be the better thing to do?
I agree with the others about finding a different doctor and get a specific treatment plan. Also, realize that with any injury, proper treatment in the short-term means long-term health and less overall impact to her gymnastics.

I agree with the others about finding a different doctor and get a specific treatment plan. Also, realize that with any injury, proper treatment in the short-term means long-term health and less overall impact to her gymnastics.
Right, that's why I was wondering if we should just go ahead and do that. We did get a second opinion. It does seem it's a strained tendon and not anything serious. We were just told regular icing and taping. They really will not request an MRI unless there is no improvement from treating it.

I'm glad it's not serious. I'd follow the advice of the doctor and direct questions about splinting and other treatment to him/her!

Maybe also let the coach know, so they don't accuse your daughter of "just trying to get out of work" (if you think it might be an issue).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back