Parents Ugh! New grips!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amanda

Proud Parent
So my daughter just replaced her first pair of grips. She had the older pair for about three years. They are still in pretty good shape but she feels like they might be a bit too small- but not terrible . Her first pair were single buckle. The new pair are double buckle. She hates them right now! I know that it can take a while to break in new grips. She’s gotten multiple rips since the new pair. She’s struggling to do skills that she totally has. We are still at least 3 1/2 months off of her first competition. She does have a couple of skills that she really needs to solidify soon though. She’s super tempted to just go back to her old pair. She’s had the new pair for just a week and has used them at four practices. Should she hang in there with a new pair? I’m not surprised that this has been hard for her. She struggles to even break in a new pair of wristbands!

Is she trying to break them in by doing her regular skills? Obviously, coaches will chime in here but I know my dd spent weeks breaking in her new grips by doing lots and lots of kips, Cast HS and circling skills (during warm ups). And then she would switch to old grips for her regular skills/practiceShe wouldn't dream of doing anything more advanced until she felt they were fully broken in. This may not be the norm but it's her way. Then again, she hates switching new grips, though once she began releases/transitions, she has needed to every couple of years.

Are the new grips the same brand? My daughter really likes the Ginnasta double buckle grips. She swears they are comfortable from the first day and require no breaking in. Anyway, I agree with the others about easing into the new grips by only using them for a short while each day. Good luck!

I think they might be a different brand. The new ones are Reisport. I am not sure what the old ones are though. I know she’s doing some older skills with them on. I had suggested maybe switching to the old ones part way through bars but I don’t know if she has tried that. I will ask her again. She is not very patient and likes to do what she is familiar with. I knew this would probably not be easy for her. I am little surprised by the rips!

I think they might be a different brand. The new ones are Reisport. I am not sure what the old ones are though. I know she’s doing some older skills with them on. I had suggested maybe switching to the old ones part way through bars but I don’t know if she has tried that. I will ask her again. She is not very patient and likes to do what she is familiar with. I knew this would probably not be easy for her. I am little surprised by the rips!
My dd has always used reisports and while they are a great grip - hardy and last a long time - they seem to take forever to break in. The leather is thicker and stiffer than other brands. There is a reisport model called Protec that is more pliable that dd tried once but hated them. Said they were too flimsy compared to the ones she was used to but others have liked them

Might she prefer softer leather and/or a narrower palm? My daughter graduated from Pixie Grips to double buckle Hot Shots and found the transition relatively easy thanks to the narrow palm on the Hot Shots.

Keep the new grips. Get a back up pair that is the sam.have use them equally so she doesn’t get attached to one pair.

Her first pair were single buckle. The new pair are double buckle.
Learning to use a new style of grips is not necessarily like breaking in new grips.

Did the single buckle grips have a narrower piece of leather across the palm? If the new ones are wider... this is not necessarily like breaking in new grips... it is learning to use the new style.

When I give my athletes a new pair of grips it typically takes about 1 workout or less to break them in. We use US Glove Hotshots and US Glove RKO's only. I break the grips in for the athletes manually first... take about 3 minutes.

Yes, I think you guys are right that the new ones are wider and that might be a lot of the issue. She said tonight was a little better!

Reactions: sce
When I give my athletes a new pair of grips it typically takes about 1 workout or less to break them in. We use US Glove Hotshots and US Glove RKO's only. I break the grips in for the athletes manually first... take about 3 minutes.
I sound like a jerk. When they are getting grips for the first time or "learning to use a new style of grips"... it takes longer. Usually a week or two of workouts.

I sound like a jerk. When they are getting grips for the first time or "learning to use a new style of grips"... it takes longer. Usually a week or two of workouts.
I didn’t think you did! And I am hoping she is good to go sometime this next week- Friday will be 2 weeks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back