UK grading/system and child's age

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been trying to learn the UK system the last few months. I think I finally got half of it. I have a few questions in my little head still though...

After understanding it a bit more and our own experience, it doesn't seem like the system is very open to those older than seven if the child has hopes of being a high level gymnast, maybe not Olympics but still high level for the love of the sport. Granted competitions has in and out of age groups for different levels, the age limit is quite restricting for higher level, no? I might be wrong but I think Shawn Johnson became elite at the age of 13. So if she was British, she wouldn't have the chance of being an elite gymnast, right?

Between the coach/club and the age (in/out of age) limit on competition, can't kids like Alicia Sacramone be overlooked?

My dd started gym early but it was off and on for a few years due to our move from the US. She's now in a very nice program with high level coaches who is pushing her because they think she has the talent and motivation for elite but it took us a bit to find the right place. Dd's old gym couldn't give her the extra training day (no space) for the intermediate group and there was no way she could get into the development program because she was seven and they wanted kids younger than her in the program or have certain skills (e.g. baby giant) if they start later (seven).

Did we just get unlucky with our first gym or the UK system can be limiting? It seems like a child is restricted not only by age but the coach too. At the old gym dd was thought as good but nothing else, so not pushed to do much. But at the two other gyms we tried out at (have more national/international success) they wanted to give her the chance. In a way it seems like the US level is less stressful in this matter. You practice the level skills, go to meets and try to get the scores, and move up if the scores are good. Each child gets the same amount of hours of practice no matter if she's age 6 or 13 at level 4. While the coaches will probably push certain kids more than others, it just seems more fair in term of general progression.

I understand that later on, if the child goes the national grading (8-5) route that she can compete at espoir level and move to elite if she's skilled and motivated but I heard it can be difficult since elite girls train a lot more to begin with than national girls.

Hi!

I was just thinking about how you were getting on at the new club! Is it going ok? Journey not burned you out yet?

With the elite levels, yes they start at 5, the year they turn 8, but you do not *have* to start the elite track until they turn 10. You need to pass (score out of) level 3, to move to level 2 and so on. Although I think you can compete level 3 out of age and level 2 in age in the same year. Levels 5 and 4 have no pass mark so you dont need to compete them. If they dont compete the compulsory levels they can compete in the espoir/ junior challenge and qualify elite that way.

My understanding of the grades is the higher grades are still pretty demanding. I agree though, here it seems like the kids are picked for elite at 7, and get coached differently, so it's harder for a late bloomer to get on that path. Someone was telling me Beth tweddle had only competed in one regional competition before arriving on the junior elite scene. I suppose it depends on coaches and what they class as "talented", and whether they are willing to take on slightly older gymnasts who haven't been on that path.

My poor old dd is really struggling at the minute, she's all speed, power, and lack of fear, and has difficulty harnessing it. At this level it's all about form and control, so compared to her teammates she's all over the place :). The ones that have been selected for the elite track really stand out, natural form and pick up skills quickly. You can see they're working the range and conditioning routines for next year, where the non-elite teams work the skills to compete this year.

I am happy that dd is training enough hours, and that they are perfecting her basics. She'll only be competing novice, which is right for her at the minute. She is at a disadvantage that she's November born, so all the other 04 children have a good 6 months on her. I do worry like you though, that the form and control might just click in the next year, but she'll be stuck on the novice track as she'll be behind on skills. She's the only one in the non-elite who can press to handstand, but she can't bhs and has only just got her back walkover.

Hi Faith!!

We're doing great! The drive is actually not that bad. On a good day it's 40 min (rare though), on a bad day (75 minutes - also rare) and on average a good 45-50 minutes. They are widening the road, a proper four lane road, but until then, 10 miles of it is on a two lane (and can get congested on Fridays, especially before a holiday). Despite the occasional traffic, it really is a gorgeous and relaxing drive. I drive the little one to other gym, since it's the only one with a structure class for her age, and while it's shorter at 38 minutes, the drive can be dull and tiring (lots of lorries). We also worked it out with dd's school so that on Fridays she can leave a bit early. Which academically is not a problem since it's assembly time.

We've been there three months now and dd's learned the baby giants, much improved forms in all five areas of competition, cartwheels on beam and now working on kips, press to handstand and back walkovers on beam. I think it'll be a year in a few weeks since she started gymnastics in rec and very proud of all her hard work and determination!! She "most likely" will do a friendly competition next month but haven't gotten a confirmation yet.

Thanks for the info you gave me! I didn't know that there's no passing grades attached to level 5 and 4. I'm not sure what grade/level mine will compete in this year -- coach said maybe this year and for sure next year. I know that everybody in the squad tries out for grade the 14 route and at least level 5 sometimes during their competitive gym life so I like that -- it gives all girls the opportunity whether they'll be in age or out of age.

It's funny on the age thing. Mine is Feb and yours is the end of the year. You think yours have a disadvantage while I think mine does just because she's already 8 and just getting a lot of the skills that other will-be-eight later this year have already mastered months ago :) I only worry because dd wants to hurry up and get to the level of the other '04 girls. I told her that she'll get there but sometimes she gets impatient. Ahhh... these "old" girls ;)

I think my dd's biggest catch-up is strength. She's only been conditioning since August, when she got into intermediate, while the other girls have been in the program for at least a year. Huge strength difference between them!! So even if dd can do grade 14 bars, her leg lifts coming down are quick. Or her straddle lever are seconds short from the other girls.

We're not allowed to watch every single practice at our gym. It's hard at first but I love it now because I get to spend time with the little one (cafe, library, swimming) and dd doesn't get distracted (she likes to do the 'hey watch me' when she knows I'm there). When I do watch, I see improvements and new skills that I only heard about from her when I pick up. VERY glad we moved gyms!! We really should have done it sooner!! Oh well :)

Hi, I agree that UK system is very different from the US and most junior/senior elite gymnasts here have been on that track since they were between 5 and 7 years old. However the switch from club to elite can be done.

Katy Bramley

That's one example, I think there are others.

In the US elite means qualified elite, whilst in the uk elite means on the elite track. Shawn would have been on the "elite track" in UK terms before she "qualified" elite.

Anyway, sounds like your DD is doing great in the new gym :)

The system is complicated! I think it's more flexible than it initially appears though, so long as you are able to communicate with the coaches and they have their gymnast's interests genuinely at heart. There are options :)

It definitely depends quite a bit on the gym. Some gyms have the opinion that you need to have started gym by 5 and be picked out for elite training by 6 or 7 to stand any chance. Others will be more open to a girl with enough ability and the willingness to work hard. Even if the elite route 'in age' is not happening, there is the challenge cup route. I believe that Beth Tweddle competed 'out of age' for most of her career.

I don't know if there is a perfect system. Initially I was quite envious of the US system, where you just learn the skills and progress and being the right or wrong age doesn't prevent that happening. However, having read so many posts about how stressful the whole 'are they moving up or aren't they' situation is for everyone and how potentially that causes issues between parents and coaches and club mates too I'm not envious any more!

In the US elite means qualified elite, whilst in the uk elite means on the elite track. Shawn would have been on the "elite track" in UK terms before she "qualified" elite.

Ah!! This makes sense!! Thanks for the clarification!

I don't know if there is a perfect system. Initially I was quite envious of the US system, where you just learn the skills and progress and being the right or wrong age doesn't prevent that happening. However, having read so many posts about how stressful the whole 'are they moving up or aren't they' situation is for everyone and how potentially that causes issues between parents and coaches and club mates too I'm not envious any more!

We were in preschool gymnastics in the US so my levels understanding is just based on what I read and dd's friend who started gym together but has kept going and now is a 7yrs-old at level 5. I don't envy her schedule, 12hrs for a 6yrs old (she JUST turned 7) is a bit much I think. But the progression seems so much simpler, based on meet scores, and that there are all sorts of age in the level. I guess it just seems more equal opportunity :)

I think dd will catch up in terms of minimum requirements for competition and later be on a close level as others who are 8 and did grade 14 and will be doing level 5 this autumn. I'm not worried about her. When I had the question I was more thinking of older girls or the "what if we didn't move gym on time".

Your answers clarified my wondering mind. Thank you again!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back