WAG Understanding Australian Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Visitor

Proud Parent
Hi all,
I am a parent of a gymnast in Hong Kong, located in Hong Kong. However, I have friends who have moved to NSW last August who are trying to understand the way Australian Gym works.

My friends daughter went into National Level 5 last August but has not yet entered into any competitions. Is this normal?

Secondly, if you are in National level can you perform in State competitions?

I assume that National means that you can perform at National and State competitions but if you are State then you can't perform at a National level… Can anyone clarify this for me?

Also, is there a schedule of competitions online somewhere? We can't seem to find any details of 2014 competition dates for both national or state levels...

I really appreciate any feedback. Sorry that the questions are so simple but sometimes when you arrive in a different country the different systems can be overwhelming!

In NSW National Stream there are so many kids that the season is quite long and the qualifying process for State starts quite early so if they only came in August they probably missed out on qualifying for State Trials so missed the rest of the season.

Gymnasts in Level 4 and 5 NDP need to score a 51 at a Sanctioned Qualifier to qualify to compete in the State Trials and then rank in the top 160 - level 4 or 120 - level 5 (total, all age groups combined) to qualify for State Championships. If they weren't in the top 5 from their club or their club didn

Sorry, if their club didn't compete at National Clubs there might not have been any more comps the club competed in.

National Stream or NDP is the Australia wide Levels Stream and the gymnasts compete within the State and have the opportunity to compete at National Clubs. State stream is a modified program created by the state to cater for less competitive kids and varies from state to state.

If you go to the Gymnastics NSW website gymnsw.org.au the dates for State Trials and State Championships will be on the calendar the other dates probably aren't set yet.

Sorry, if their club didn't compete at National Clubs there might not have been any more comps the club competed in.

National Stream or NDP is the Australia wide Levels Stream and the gymnasts compete within the State and have the opportunity to compete at National Clubs. State stream is a modified program created by the state to cater for less competitive kids and varies from state to state.

If you go to the Gymnastics NSW website gymnsw.org.au the dates for State Trials and State Championships will be on the calendar the other dates probably aren't set yet.

Thank you so much for replying. It's so much more complicated than Hong Kong where the community is very small.
I looked at the website for events and they are not posted yet so that answers that question…
So based on what you are saying the gymnast will be able to compete interstate at other national clubs and can compete in national competitions but cannot compete at state levels within other states? I hope I am being clear… :(

Yes, I think.:rolleyes: National Stream gymnasts can compete in NDP competitions in their State or any other State including National Club Championships. They couldn't compete in State Stream competitions anywhere. Each state has different rules/names for their State Streams so these gymnasts may be able to compete in other states but would need to modify their routines to do this, mostly these kids just compete within their state.

Yes, I think.:rolleyes: National Stream gymnasts can compete in NDP competitions in their State or any other State including National Club Championships. They couldn't compete in State Stream competitions anywhere. Each state has different rules/names for their State Streams so these gymnasts may be able to compete in other states but would need to modify their routines to do this, mostly these kids just compete within their state.
Thanks again. I think I understand now! Greatly appreciated.

The National Stream is the main stream of competition. It is aimed at the average gymnast so to speak.

If gymnasts are outstanding and they show the potential to represent Australia in the future in competitions like the Olympics or world championships they are put in the international stream. For those who don't quite have the skills or aren't able to commit to high hours you have the state stream.

But in national stream you will have local, invitational and regional competitions in your area and around your state that you can compete in. The national stream gymnasts will then have to qualify based on your states qualifying criteria to compete in the state championships and aim to become state champion.

You can't compete at Nationals in national level 5. Nationals is for level 7 and above, but what they mean when they say national stream is not that they can automatically compete at nationals but they can work towards that goal eventually in national level 7-10. Gymnasts in the state stream have no nationals because the state stream is just for within their own state.

As has been mentioned she can compete in national clubs but this is not an individual competition and you don't qualify. Clubs compete to see which is the best club in the country.

The skills for national level 5 are.

Vault - handspring with the vault set at 110-125 cms

Bars - glide kip, cast to 45 degrees above horizontal, back hip circle, bar change, long kip and dismount which can be a toe shoot, underswing or flyaway.

Beam - handstand held 2 secs to a straight jump, cartwheel or walkover, straight jump - split jump 180 degrees, split leap 180 degrees, full turn on one for and a choice for dismount out of front tuck salto or cartwheel with straight jump backwards.

Floor - front handspring rebound cartwheel, cartwheel, round off back handspring, back extension roll to handstand, full turn on 1 foot, jump full turn, 180 degree split leap in a series with another A leap (like a side leap)

In national level 5 they can do bonus skills on bars, floor and beam (no bonus on vault). For each bonus they have in the routine they get an extra 0.2, they will have up to three bonus skills count. Bonus skills might replace the core skill or be added in as an extra skill.

Examples of bonus are

Bars - cast to handstand, clear hip instead of back hip circle, layout flyaway

Beam - change leg leap instead of split leap, back handspring instead of cartwheel, cartwheel back tuck dismount.

Floor - handspring front tuck or front layout instead of handspring cartwheel series, round off flic tuck or layout instead of round off flic.

There are many more, this just gives you an idea of the standard of national level 5.

The National Stream is the main stream of competition. It is aimed at the average gymnast so to speak.

If gymnasts are outstanding and they show the potential to represent Australia in the future in competitions like the Olympics or world championships they are put in the international stream. For those who don't quite have the skills or aren't able to commit to high hours you have the state stream.

But in national stream you will have local, invitational and regional competitions in your area and around your state that you can compete in. The national stream gymnasts will then have to qualify based on your states qualifying criteria to compete in the state championships and aim to become state champion.

You can't compete at Nationals in national level 5. Nationals is for level 7 and above, but what they mean when they say national stream is not that they can automatically compete at nationals but they can work towards that goal eventually in national level 7-10. Gymnasts in the state stream have no nationals because the state stream is just for within their own state.

As has been mentioned she can compete in national clubs but this is not an individual competition and you don't qualify. Clubs compete to see which is the best club in the country.

The skills for national level 5 are.

Vault - handspring with the vault set at 110-125 cms

Bars - glide kip, cast to 45 degrees above horizontal, back hip circle, bar change, long kip and dismount which can be a toe shoot, underswing or flyaway.

Beam - handstand held 2 secs to a straight jump, cartwheel or walkover, straight jump - split jump 180 degrees, split leap 180 degrees, full turn on one for and a choice for dismount out of front tuck salto or cartwheel with straight jump backwards.

Floor - front handspring rebound cartwheel, cartwheel, round off back handspring, back extension roll to handstand, full turn on 1 foot, jump full turn, 180 degree split leap in a series with another A leap (like a side leap)

In national level 5 they can do bonus skills on bars, floor and beam (no bonus on vault). For each bonus they have in the routine they get an extra 0.2, they will have up to three bonus skills count. Bonus skills might replace the core skill or be added in as an extra skill.

Examples of bonus are

Bars - cast to handstand, clear hip instead of back hip circle, layout flyaway

Beam - change leg leap instead of split leap, back handspring instead of cartwheel, cartwheel back tuck dismount.

Floor - handspring front tuck or front layout instead of handspring cartwheel series, round off flic tuck or layout instead of round off flic.

There are many more, this just gives you an idea of the standard of national level 5.
Fantastic! Thanks so much. So that makes sense why she wasn't in any competitions and so I assume if the club enters her into anything it's just between clubs and does not qualify you. Hong Kong is so laid back in comparison but then again the level of gymnasts in Australia is amazing. I was on holidays in Melbourne in October and my daughter practiced for a week at MLC and wow… some talented girls out there. Thanks once again to the community for your advice.

I'm not sure if they can. I think if a comp does not offer national they can compete state but it just matters if the hours they train. If they are training 12 hours or how many hours there is in NSW I'm in VOC so not sure. But yes I guess they could don't see why they would want to though.

I'm not sure if they can. I think if a comp does not offer national they can compete state but it just matters if the hours they train. If they are training 12 hours or how many hours there is in NSW I'm in VOC so not sure. But yes I guess they could don't see why they would want to though.
Thanks for this and from what I can see above the national comp's the qualify at level 7 and above anyway…
Apparently the girl was going to compete but the competition was cancelled which makes sense that it was just an inter-club thing and not a qualifying competition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back