MAG Understanding the Olympics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

lilmisssunshine

Proud Parent
First time actually paying attention to the Olympics and I've read this article:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/gymnastics-101-competition-format

I just want to be sure that I understand how it works. So, the qualifications were yesterday and from that, they take the top teams, then the top 8 people from each events, plus the top 8 from AA. And from now, there will be separate competitions for team, each event, and AA?

So now, like, at the team event, each country gets to decide 3 guys for each event, and the qualification routines don't necessarily play a role in this? (Like, do they have to take the top three guys or have the coaches pretty much already decided who would be the three guys for this?)

And at the AA finals, they only give out medals for the top AA score? (not each event and the AA like at our kids' meets?)

Also, NBC didn't play much of the Japanese men, but I screamed out when they showed Kohei falling on HB. We had just watched a documentary about the Japanese team and they're so hard on themselves about how "My mistake caused a bad feeling throughout the team and made them do poorly as well." :( (Kohei and Kenzo both said this separately)

Reactions: sce
Except for AA it's not top 8, it's top 24 I believe and then others get in because each country can only have 2 gymnasts in each final. In the AA, they will award 3 medals...gold, silver, and bronze. Then, on a different day, the top qualifiers on each event will compete again for gold, silver, and bronze. In team finals, coaches can put whichever 3 gymnasts they wish on each event...none of the scores from qualifications matter.

Reactions: sce
Thanks! I was having a really hard time trying to understand how a gymnast could stand a chance at AA if he didn't qualify for all of the events. It's making a lot more sense now. :)

Thanks! I was having a really hard time trying to understand how a gymnast could stand a chance at AA if he didn't qualify for all of the events. It's making a lot more sense now. :)
Keep in mind, even as your son grows as a gymnast, that some people are all around gymnasts and others are not. All around gymnasts do pretty well on all 6 events and maybe even shine on a few. Other gymnasts seem to only do well on a few events and struggle on others. The All Around gymnast is going to do well in the all around and might also medal on an event or two. The other gymnast might medal on their good events but get much lower scores on the other events. By the international level some gymnasts don't even compete all events. Add to that the confusion of vault, a gymnast might score well on one vault, but does not do the two vaults required to even try to medal on vault.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back