underwear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

what kind of underwear do you guys wear and how do you not get points taken of if your underwear is shown during a meet?
nude colored underwear and what type of bra so your straps wont show no sporties!

For the underwear even though I'm older I'll go to Justice and get there nude colored low rise undies. They fit on the smaller side but I've never had a problem with wedgies and since it's just strings on the side they don't peak out of your leotard.

As for Bras, I like to find a nude colored bra without a underwire (since I find them uncomfortable to do gymnastics in) Or any colored with clear straps. Although I'm not very made out in that area so I can do without an underwire just fine :D

Hope this helps!

I generally go without underwear in competition, or during certain times of the month i will wear nude high waisted underwear as for bra's i am pretty flat chested so i generally will wear nude bra or a white bra that i have that is super comfy :p if you are uncomfortable with wearing no underwear then just wear high waisted seemless underwear

Seeing kids with underwear under a leotard drives me crazy. You don't need underwear. A leotard is like swim wear, you don't wear under wear under swim wear why do people do it under leotards? If it is a very young kid, thats ok but older kids, teens and young adults should know better.

Seeing kids with underwear under a leotard drives me crazy. You don't need underwear. A leotard is like swim wear, you don't wear under wear under swim wear why do people do it under leotards? If it is a very young kid, thats ok but older kids, teens and young adults should know better.

Because its gross! My girls refuse to go without underwear. So many girls get that sweat stripe right there on the buttocks, or their leo rides up into their cracks (not to be gross, just stating the facts), or a poorly fitting leo shows waaaayyyyy too much in the front (not talking about up top), and they move around a lot more without underwear (all this is from observation or from my own gymnasts' mouths). I'm not even going to go into the hygiene area. Sorry if you don't agree, esp if you are not a woman--you wouldn't understand. I don't get what you mean about them knowing better--actually, if they know better, then they would wear underwear, not the other way around. Modesty is a big factor in my girls' decision to wear underwear.

DD is 8 and absolutely hates wearing a leotard without underwear, she says it is uncomfortable. She wears nude coloured dance undies.

Because its gross! My girls refuse to go without underwear. So many girls get that sweat stripe right there on the buttocks, or their leo rides up into their cracks (not to be gross, just stating the facts), or a poorly fitting leo shows waaaayyyyy too much in the front (not talking about up top), and they move around a lot more without underwear (all this is from observation or from my own gymnasts' mouths). I'm not even going to go into the hygiene area. Sorry if you don't agree, esp if you are not a woman--you wouldn't understand. I don't get what you mean about them knowing better--actually, if they know better, then they would wear underwear, not the other way around. Modesty is a big factor in my girls' decision to wear underwear.

Ok for training yea wear underwear i don't give a toss, but for competition really? underwear? Last time i checked you have no cringe factor with swimmers and no underwear? what is the difference, hygiene i don't know about america but here in australia, we wash our leotards before we wear them again. I definitely agree with Aussie Coach it really makes me cringe when i see kids with there dora undies poking out of there leotards. and as for poorly fitting leotards there is an easy solution.....get leos that fit i am sorry but i hate it at comps when you see peoples underwear when really all you would be seeing is their hips. I am a woman (well a 16yo girl) and i completely understand the need for a bra i but a leotard is like swimmers, do you really need underwear under them?

Ok for training yea wear underwear i don't give a toss, but for competition really? underwear? Last time i checked you have no cringe factor with swimmers and no underwear? what is the difference, hygiene i don't know about america but here in australia, we wash our leotards before we wear them again. I definitely agree with Aussie Coach it really makes me cringe when i see kids with there dora undies poking out of there leotards. and as for poorly fitting leotards there is an easy solution.....get leos that fit i am sorry but i hate it at comps when you see peoples underwear when really all you would be seeing is their hips. I am a woman (well a 16yo girl) and i completely understand the need for a bra i but a leotard is like swimmers, do you really need underwear under them?

Wrong, a leotard is not like swimwear at all, they are diff material well the majority of comp leos are hologram ect not lycra, swimwear has liners and swimwear is thicker, i agree i hate NOt wearing undies under a leotard the front feels sooooo weird, the back not so much but the front ew, i hate seeing lil kids undies too but i think it looks cute it looks like they tried to dress them selves ect. plus their undies must be too big if they are bagging out the sides, my undies dont show at all, i think its more wrong for someone older to not wear undies...

also the reason people dont wear undies with swimwear is because undies are cotton when wet they get heavy ect. in a leotard they dont and they make it more comfy if undies werent cotton i'd wear them swimming also i treat my bikini bottoms like underwear when i put bordies over the top :)

Noo. haha. I cannot stand to go commando under my leotard. Yes when I was little I would do it with my well fitting leotards but I def. wear underwear all the time.
Although I do agree, if your going to let your 7 year old wear undies, at least pick some up in a smaller size so you don't have dora peeking out the side.

But even in competition, as long as you get ones that you know won't show I think it's fine. I wear a certain kind to every competition and have never had a problem with them showing.
And I COMPLETELY agree with GAgymmom as I've gotten older I really find wearing no underwear gross. Maybe a 7 or 8 year old wouldn't mind it but I am 17 and I just find it gross.

there is an easy solution.....get leos that fit

You don't necessarily get to pick your competition leotard.....

Plus, I meant to add. A swimmer is completely different and when they are most active they are underwater where it's a little more difficult to actually see them verse gymnasts do everything above water, all their activity is out in the open.

During practice i wear just regular underwear but i also wear shorts. When i can't wear shorts, like in meets, i wear briefs. Look in any leo catalog and you will find all different color briefs in nylon or cotton.

I actually don't wear undies under my comp. leo, or in practice. I would feel better wearing them, probably, but then I would worry about them showing - nudes still show pretty clearly against my skin tone, especially in the summer. If I bought some more high-waisted sport/dance undies, I might consider it.

As for bras, I wear a nude-colored bra that is intended for dance. It's not really a sports bra, so I might consider getting a new one now that I've "grown up" a bit...:eek:
Our comp leos are black, so I don't have to worry about undies showing through. However, one of my coach always has to pull my straps back under my sleeves, since the neck is kind of wide.

It's actually funny. She calls me over before a routine and I'm expecting a "Stay calm. Just like in practice. Go hard." or something, and she's like *snap* "Your straps."

gymgurl: hygiene i don't know about america but here in australia, we wash our leotards before we wear them again.
EWWW! That's NOT what I meant. Hygiene as in everyone's bottom and "other places" on the beam, mats, feet on everything, and if your leo is cut smaller in the front like i've seen at some competitions (which, let me tell you, reveals WAYYYY too much, I've seen things I DON'T want to see at a gym meet), then parts of your body come in contact with the surfaces. I'm trying to be very discreet here, but I think everyone knows what I mean.

I definitely agree with Aussie Coach it really makes me cringe when i see kids with there dora undies poking out of there leotards.
My girls wear underwear that is high cut and has a small strip connecting front to back. You never see their underwear. I have seen some girls' though, I just think they need higher cut or smaller size.

"and as for poorly fitting leotards there is an easy solution.....get leos that fit"
the girls can't pick their own comp leos, and Alpha Factor is much higher cut than GK, resulting in many more wedgies and unhappy girls on my daughters' team since they switched. No one likes their buttcheeks hanging out during floor or beam. My oldest dd says the underwear keeps her from getting a wedgie.

i am sorry but i hate it at comps when you see peoples underwear when really all you would be seeing is their hips.
You actually see hips? That is a really high cut leo!!

I am a woman (well a 16yo girl) and i completely understand the need for a bra i but a leotard is like swimmers, do you really need underwear under them?
Swimmers aren't doing flips and twists in the air, spinning on their bottoms on the floor, flying around bars, doing splits, straddles, jumps, leaps, stretches, dancing around in their suits. They stay underwater and go from one side to the other, with most of their extreme movements in the arms. And as soon as they exit the pool, they are in a cover up or towel, and picking their wedgies. :)

what kind of underwear do you guys wear and how do you not get points taken of if your underwear is shown during a meet?
nude colored underwear and what type of bra so your straps wont show no sporties!

we don't wear any of that...i'm just sayin...:)

gymgurl: hygiene i don't know about america but here in australia, we wash our leotards before we wear them again.
EWWW! That's NOT what I meant. Hygiene as in everyone's bottom and "other places" on the beam, mats, feet on everything, and if your leo is cut smaller in the front like i've seen at some competitions (which, let me tell you, reveals WAYYYY too much, I've seen things I DON'T want to see at a gym meet), then parts of your body come in contact with the surfaces. I'm trying to be very discreet here, but I think everyone knows what I mean.

I definitely agree with Aussie Coach it really makes me cringe when i see kids with there dora undies poking out of there leotards.
My girls wear underwear that is high cut and has a small strip connecting front to back. You never see their underwear. I have seen some girls' though, I just think they need higher cut or smaller size.

"and as for poorly fitting leotards there is an easy solution.....get leos that fit"
the girls can't pick their own comp leos, and Alpha Factor is much higher cut than GK, resulting in many more wedgies and unhappy girls on my daughters' team since they switched. No one likes their buttcheeks hanging out during floor or beam. My oldest dd says the underwear keeps her from getting a wedgie.

i am sorry but i hate it at comps when you see peoples underwear when really all you would be seeing is their hips.
You actually see hips? That is a really high cut leo!!

I am a woman (well a 16yo girl) and i completely understand the need for a bra i but a leotard is like swimmers, do you really need underwear under them?
Swimmers aren't doing flips and twists in the air, spinning on their bottoms on the floor, flying around bars, doing splits, straddles, jumps, leaps, stretches, dancing around in their suits. They stay underwater and go from one side to the other, with most of their extreme movements in the arms. And as soon as they exit the pool, they are in a cover up or towel, and picking their wedgies. :)

Ok i totally get what you mean and as for the hips and leo i was slightly exaggerating and going for an extreme circumstance and claps for you for making your daughters wear high cut that i have no issue with that and i would never go to training without underwear but at comp, i would rather just go commando and not fork out extra $$$ for something i don't really need. If i have a meet and there are certain women's issues at hand then of course i will wear some high waisted underwear. And if you are wearing underwear and it is not poking out the sides you see just as much with underwear as without so obviously its not just the leotard that is too high cut. And please don't take it that i don't make sure it all fits right and nothing is exposed i just prefer going to a meet without worrying about underwear sticking out all over the place

I am a woman, I've never worn underwear under my leotards growing up and still wear a leo from time to time and don't wear underwear. In all my years I have never had it ride up. It sounds like the leotards are poorly fitted, all our kids wear leo's daily and to competitions and I have only ever seen a wedgie if they have put the leotard on backwards.

The design may be a problem too, they should not get a sweat stripe if the appropriate colour is chosen for the lower portion of the leotard. The people who make our leotards will always advise us with designs if there are any potential problems with the particular design.

Modesty should not be a problem in a properly fitting leotard.

OMG AUSSIE COACH I ALWAYS THOUGHT U WERE A MAN... NO offence WOW lol

My dd wears the "Barely There" brand of underwear under her comp leo. It's just like the brand name says, you barely see it at all. The seems are basically non-existent. With her current comp leo she just wears a nude color bra. Last year her comp leo had a sheer mesh on the shoulders and she wore a nude color bra with clear straps.

For practice she wears whatever color underwear she wants with whatever leo. She wears bikini strap ones so they rarely show below the leo. Sometimes when I see the girls I almost think that they are going for the most contrasting colors with their bras and leos. They really don't care, it's like a fashion statement all itself! The girls never wear shorts, but do were the under armour tights during the winter when it's cold out. My kid, she's like a furnace, she only wears a leo - year round.

Granny Smith-that is too funny but it is so true. We have girls wearing bright pink sports bras with blue leos,and tie dye sports bras with animal print leos, they are all over the place. Target has a huge secelction of every neon color and one of my teammates has like 4 of them and you can totally notice her when she ealks in the door because of the color of her sports bra.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back