Undies . . .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
Ok, I know . . . it is frowned upon . . . but . . . going commando is just not for everyone. While DD is fine with it . . . her friend is having issues.

I know another girl on team wears cheer briefs under her leo and I did actually see undies for leos on the GK website . . . but OMG $$$$ cha ching! :eek:

SO . . . does anyone have any good cheap alternatives to those costly cheer brief and GK undies? There just HAS to be something else!

Thanks!

Our girls just wear undies, not special undies. I would think any cotton/lyra combination will work. The leg cut is the only issue.

she wore undies today and they were hanging out . . . she is the only kid I know that can do a cartwheel on the beam while pulling at her leo at the same time.

high cut usually good enough?

Marks and Spencers in the UK do high leg sports briefs for kids. They are really nice and my dd wears them all the time. They are very nice quality too. I think there are some M & S stores abroad but not sure where!

Marks and Spencers in the UK do high leg sports briefs for kids. They are really nice and my dd wears them all the time. They are very nice quality too. I think there are some M & S stores abroad but not sure where!

Just the mention of M&S makes me green with envy!!! I miss it so much.

My girls have bought the fruit of the loom high cut cotton with lycra, we got them at Target on our last trip to the US.

Depending on the age and size of your DD, you can try extra small adullt cotton/lycra or cotton/spandex hi-cut undies. I like Fruit of the Loom and Hanes. Check the children's sections too, and search for fabric content and leg-cut. Joe Boxer at Kmart might be worth a look, and I think I have seen some higher cut briefs at Limited Too. Overall, you'll probably have to buy some and see how they fit. At least if they don't work for gym, maybe she can wear them under reg. clothes.

A high cut regular panty should work, but depends on the cut of the competition leo. More and more comp leos also have the high leg cut, so you'll have to experiment. Don't know what color the meet leo is, but see if you can find panties in the same color.

Some moms at our gym rebelled against paying alot for the spankies from GK and found basically the same thing at a dance supply store that was much cheaper and worked just fine.

The main thing about the briefs is that they're tight. Think about how well sized leos fit. Cotton underwear typically has a much looser cut and comes down lower, which is why it sticks out and gets baggy. Bathing suit bottoms can potentially even work, but in that size you probably won't find high cut ones. She needs them as tight as is comfortable (obviously not leaving bad marks, but not baggy).

Ok, I know . . . it is frowned upon . . . but . . . going commando is just not for everyone. While DD is fine with it . . . her friend is having issues.

I know another girl on team wears cheer briefs under her leo and I did actually see undies for leos on the GK website . . . but OMG $$$$ cha ching! :eek:

SO . . . does anyone have any good cheap alternatives to those costly cheer brief and GK undies? There just HAS to be something else!

Thanks!

we got the sports bra and panties sets at Wal-mart inexpensively and they are made by Dansk. the panties are like the cheer briefs with the side cut a bit higher so they don't show under the leo.

In some places you can get briefs, but intead of the full material at the side, there is just an elastic string. I used to get them from MKone, but I think M & S also do them if you can get that. Also try here - I don't know of they just have a nude one so you don't have to worry about the colour of your leotard every practise!
DISCOUNT LEOTARDS, GYMNASTICS LEOTARDS & MORE - BRIEFS

Gymboree and Gap have great higher leg panties for little ones. DD doesn't wear undies with her leo's but we have tried them just in case. Also we do have one pair of the GK ones but DD said they felt strange. I can see she is going to be a commando girl but we did try just to see. I just cant stand to see the lines in the back on the girls who are wearing panties with the leo, it just isn't as clean of a line seeing where the waist or leg line is of the undies. Good luck

It takes some serious shopping but one girl I did gymnastics with a very long time ago managed to find underwear that exactly matched the color of most of her leos. That way if her underwear was peaking out a little no one noticed and she didn't have to pull at it all the time.

thanks everyone. i forwarded a link to this thread to my friend.

This should give her some great ideas to try!b

I agree about not wanting to spend a lot of money on briefs. We have a local dance store here and they sell black briefs (goes well with our leos) for just $8. They are specifically made to go under the leos and fit very tightly.

If all else fails you could always make some! or get someone to make them...Its usually soooo much cheaper to hand-make stuff, and then you can adjust the fit to suit the wearer perfectly:)

Our gym requires the girls to wear undies. We bought girls' bikini style at Target and they're working out fine. Just in case, we did buy one pair that exactly matches Boo's competition leo so if it does show, she's okay.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back