Parents Undiscovered talent, or boy being boy?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Alibri

Proud Parent
I am a 6th grade public school teacher. The other day my kids were outside playing and one of my students yelled, "look Mrs. (me), and before I could say anything, he took off running and did a beautiful (to my eye) back handspring, back handspring, back tuck on the grass. He's an athletic kid, plays football outside of school, no gymnastics or tumbling training. He's 11. Do you think this is the sign of potential in gymnastics? I think part of my job as a teacher is to help kids develop their strengths and find their talents. I know he thought he was just messing around, but I'm wondering if I should suggest gymnastics to him. Would you?

I have no opinion on the undiscovered talent, but I hope you suggested that he not do gymnastics on the grass or at school. I think that would've given me a heart attack. My girls won't even do a round off on the grass though- we are a family of scaredy cats.

Tumbling or trampoline might be a good fit. 11 is a little late to start artistic but not unheard of for a boy. It definitely sounds like something he would enjoy so I think he should go for it. You can see if there is a parks and rec district gymnastics program near you - they usually offer fee waivers if that might be a barrier.

I would suggest do not suggest gymnastics or any other sport or activity to a child. If my son came home and told me his teacher suggested gymnastics to him I would find that slightly odd. Also gymnastics is expensive and even rec may not be something this family can budget for. Can you instead tell his parents what he did and ask them if they have thought about gymnastics (or T and T, or Parkour) for him? You can tell them your child does gymnastics and that is how you know what he did, and why you thought they might want to look into training in that area. If he did this at school, it is likely he has done all kinds of crazy stuff at home. What would have kept them from looking into it before? Maybe they do not know about it, maybe there is simply no way they can afford it. Maybe they are prejudiced against the sport. Who knows.

And it is never too late to start, because training at any age in a sport someone loves is beneficial. I am not sure what would make it ever too late. Even many really talented boys who started when they are 6 are not going to have a future in the sport after HS unless maybe as a coach. But that is the same as many sports. This should not stop a person from doing the sport.

Talking to his mom was in the back of my mind too, since parent conferences are in a few weeks, good point. Parkour seems like something he would enjoy. If anything, I think it's just evidence that he is an all-around talented athlete, I think he would excel at any sport he does. It just really surprised me to see him do it out of the blue!

I think it is great you are taking such an interest in your student. I thought about it more and even asked my 7th grade son and he said "why shouldn't she say anything to the kid?" I am probably being too picky or something. Maybe because so many non-gym informed adults in my kid's lives say things to my boys like "Can't wait to see you at the Olympics!" and it bugs me to no end.

some kids can throw some great tumbling skills due to having trampolines in their backyards but that does not a good gymnast make since there are other events. just my 2 cents worth. maybe you can have a conversation with him later and ask him how he learned to do that and if he ever thought of trying gymnastics or tumbling/trampoline if you want to.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back