Uneven Bars - Rio Qualifications

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaddieLynn

Coach
Gymnast
Is anyone else nervous about how this is going to play out? My fear is that Laurie will end up getting cut out of the AA race over this. Obviously Simone will be doing AA in quals, and almost certainly Aly as well. That leaves two bar slots, and Gabby + Madison would bring in the highest scores here as well as giving them both a shot at UB finals. I'm just pulling so hard for Laurie - I've been following her closely since before London. The only way I could see this working out is if Gabby doesn't compete AA in quals, which honestly would be fine with me, but I feel that Marta will try to give her a shot at qualifying on UB.

Thoughts?

Personally, I highly doubt Gabby has a medal shot on UB. Qualifying perhaps, but Madison is likely the only medal shot on UB methinks.

No idea what Marta will do, but as Laurie and Aly seem to be sooooooo close to each other in AA, the most fair thing to me would be to sit Gabby out on Quals and let Laurie and Aly battle for that second AA spot. It feels like this scenario rarely happens, though.

I can see Marta and The Powers That Be worrying about negative publicity 'benching' the reigning Olympic Gold Medalist and World Celebrity. It would be a sign of distrust, a slap in the face to Gabby and her huge fan base so to speak.

But Aly is also very popular, and Laurie is QUICKLY gaining a huge fan base, so sacrificing one of them for Gabby's "Very good but not Olympicly phenomenal" bars may backfire on the publicity front...

(I say all this as generally a Gabby fan. Just don't see the numbers stacking up for her individual medal potential)

Well said about Laurie's fan base growing - and it will only continue to do so quite dramatically!!

It will be very VERY interesting to see how the AA situation shakes out. Presumably things will be decided at the Ranch under Martha's watchful eye.....unless those in the know believe the decision is already made?

(and 4 years ago, were there ANY discussions or speculation before the Games, foreshadowing the US AA surprise?? Or did that blindside everyone?)

Personally, I highly doubt Gabby has a medal shot on UB. Qualifying perhaps, but Madison is likely the only medal shot on UB methinks.

No idea what Marta will do, but as Laurie and Aly seem to be sooooooo close to each other in AA, the most fair thing to me would be to sit Gabby out on Quals and let Laurie and Aly battle for that second AA spot. It feels like this scenario rarely happens, though.

I can see Marta and The Powers That Be worrying about negative publicity 'benching' the reigning Olympic Gold Medalist and World Celebrity. It would be a sign of distrust, a slap in the face to Gabby and her huge fan base so to speak.

But Aly is also very popular, and Laurie is QUICKLY gaining a huge fan base, so sacrificing one of them for Gabby's "Very good but not Olympicly phenomenal" bars may backfire on the publicity front...

(I say all this as generally a Gabby fan. Just don't see the numbers stacking up for her individual medal potential)

I don't think they're worried about anything but I would assume the main reason Gabby is on the team at this point is to use her on bars. I don't think they'll use her on beam unless they have to and possibly not even floor.

I agree that Gabby wouldn't win bars, but she is pretty much the second best on bars on the team at this point (Ashton can beat her but of course they couldn't bring both Ashton and Madison).

Also she did get the second highest score at Worlds finals, but like 4 people tied for first. That was kind of a weird situation so I find it hard to tell what would happen at the Os. Definitely some of those people can beat her. Also I guess there could have been other good people who messed up or were injured at that time, it was awhile ago so I don't remember. But generally I would say someone in the top 5 has at least a shot at a medal because other people might have a mistake.

Agree with @Sasha . I think Gabby could qualify for the bars final but don't think she would medal. I think they will use her in the team final for bars though. Laurie is also pretty decent on bars and if she hit a really clean routine she wouldn't be far behind Gabby. I really would like to see Simone, Laurie and Aly all have a shot at AA and then let the judges have the say from there, would really hate to see one of them not even given the chance.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back