WAG Uni and Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Em09

Gymnast
So, I do gym for 36 hours a week, and I love my club. I would never, ever consider leaving it. It's my home. Everyone there has known me since I was five. Absolutely no way am I leaving. But after two years off school (I graduated 2020), and upping my hours in those two years, I need to start thinking about university. I want to get a degree for security, and career prospects, but I want to continue gym for as long as I can. My gym has an international competing 28 year old. That is my aim. To be that 70 year old who hasn't given up on their passion yet.

So my question here is:
Does anyone have any experience with balancing the time commitments of university and doing gym? I know my hours will have to drop back to maybe 20.
If it matters, I'm Level 10, still aiming for international, and I'm in Australia, with 2 universities 40 minutes away and one maybe 15 minutes away. I don't want to live on campus.

We often find our gymnasts can increase their hours when they start Uni.

When they are in High School their workload tends to be far less flexible. They have to be in school 30 hours a week and then get their homework done outside of that. Many have to cut back in 11th and 12th grade.

But once they graduate high school they can train more while studying. The average student only needs to be on campus 2-3 days a week, a few hours each day.

The only issue can be lectures and tutorials at unusual times. So it depends how flexible your gym is with adjusting days etc.

My only worry is commute and coaching, because I'm going to start coaching sometime this year to earn some money, and I want to be able to balance everything, and keep my hours as high as possible.

Gyms should be used to dealing with this, we all have lots of coaches who are Uni students and most gyms have lots of Uni students on their higher level teams.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back