Uniforms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3rd_time_around

Proud Parent
Judge
I was just curious, and if this is not appropriate to ask feel free to take it down, but I had a question about the cost of leotards.

Over the years I have met many people from all parts of the country in gymnastics, and the varying costs sometimes are unbelievable. Why do some gyms charge so much for uniforms? Do some gyms pad the cost and keep the difference? This is a serious question, as I've recently met several people who paid over $1000 for a leotard and warm-up. We pay less than $400 for a very blinged-out leotard, warm-up and a bag. The leos are beautiful and the warm-ups are stylish, and we are paying the actual costs as if we ordered it ourselves (actually less, since the team gets special pricing and no shipping costs). Most pants for warm-ups are capris, basic cost of $30 in the GK catalog. I seriously wonder why the cost is so high? I just feel like the cost of uniforms should not be more than the actual cost of the leotard, and shipping and handling is usually free with team orders.

Any thoughts?

I feel like some gyms do pad their costs ... some do this to absorb the cost of warm ups for the coaches. Others do it because they are greedy.
I have actually looked up some competition leotards I have seen on other teams AFTER hearing the parents actually BRAG about how much they paid and they are paying a mark up (10 - 25%) over even self-order plus tax and shipping. These were not YMCA teams, to be clear. The Ys around us that pay more for their leotards and warm ups have ones that they should be paying more for - lots of sparkle, sublimated material, etc. And as far as I know, this season with several teams getting new designs, nobody's leotards, warm ups, and bags cost over $300 combined.

I'm puzzled by this as well. I've been at a few gyms, all with very nicely designed custom leotards with lots of bling and they have never cost more than around $170- one gym managed to keep leos to $100 or less. And like Raenn said, I've never been at a gym where all uniform costs combined added up to more than $300- 2 of the gyms I have coached at costs have been significantly less than that. I feel like there has to be some sort of mark up happening in some of these gyms. Even if there's no mark up happening, why one earth would one need to purchase a $400 leotard when there are plenty of gorgeous options out there for half that price?

I don't know why they choose to pay for more costly ones when there are beautiful, less expensive ones, but I do know that the prices are not being padded in all cases. The last gym we were at the leotard was from GK and was $300. Not sure the brand of the warm up jacket but it was custom and was $100. Capris were cheap at about $20. I was involved in the booster club and this was actual cost.

My son's warmups this year are $170 which I think is insane, but again pretty sure it's actual cost.

I don't know why they choose to pay for more costly ones when there are beautiful, less expensive ones, but I do know that the prices are not being padded in all cases. The last gym we were at the leotard was from GK and was $300. Not sure the brand of the warm up jacket but it was custom and was $100. Capris were cheap at about $20. I was involved in the booster club and this was actual cost.

My son's warmups this year are $170 which I think is insane, but again pretty sure it's actual cost.
But $300 for a leo is not uncommon, I’m talking about $1200+

Was curious since been a while since ordered comp leos, so checked one site. The most expensive comp leos (the ones with the most fabric cuts) with full bling retail prices were in the $550-600 range. The most expensive warmup combination was $330, adding full bling details and back logo could bring that in the $450 range. Add a fancy bag and $1000+ is possible. Bulk discount can cut costs some but not a ton on customized products.

Whether it should be is an entirely different question, but I do think it’s possible to get to that kind of cost is without padding.

The most expensive Leo i could create on the gk site was $563,25. Yep, Thats what i do on my free friday night, desinigning leotards
It is kind of fun! That’s about what I found as well. And that is just with the stock bling options. Adding a custom detail(like the gym name in crystals on the sleeve or back) can bump it up even more.

I did the same thing and was able to get one to $630 with fully lined mesh sleeves and fully blinged cuffs and collar.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back