Unique floor skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey guys! I was wondering if you guys know any cool floor skills (not like tumbling or dance skills.) I know there's like elbow stands, shoulder rolls, etc. Do you guys know any cool skills like that? If you have a video, feel free to add that. :)

does Valdez with no hands count? They are so cool! You kind of have to push off your leg and trust your hands to go find the ground though. Have your coach spot you first, they are scary if you've never done them before :p

My coach said she used to do a straddled front flip back when they got points for original skills. Something else that is fun is a front walkover where you land on your knee instead of your foot and slide immediately into your split. I do a roll to chest stand, then turn my head and roll forward out of it. You can also think about doing unique connections, like a very flexible teammate of mine who does an illusion straight into a full turn in standing split.

Does anyone do a press handstand piroutte or half piroutte? (DD is not yet an optional, but I'm hoping this ends up in her floor at some point.)

I want to see this valdez with no hands but I can't find one online. Can somebody show me? A valdez is one of my favorite moves on beam. They are so pretty. Also, that rolling tinsica video made me dizzy!

Yup, I was thinking the same thing ivyagogo.

I love how Valdez's look, but I simply cannot imagine one with no hands. I feel like that would be incredibly difficult. Maybe I'm just imagining it wrong....

I'd love to see one.

Loved that whole youtube channel the tinsica video is on! Lots of unique 'acro' type of skills on there. It was fun to watch them!

My dd does a back walkover but instead of putting her hands on the floor she bends her elbows and puts her forearms on the floor. She then lands on her knees like kneeling on the floor and pushes off her toes toes to stand up. It's hard to explain but hopefully you get what I mean.

I'm not really sure how to describe them. It's just a valdez without using your hands.. just push up on one foot, then reach for the floor? i dont know :c i guess thats not really helpful then..but all the girls on my team can do them. Maybe i can film one next time we work on one!! :)

I love putting unique skills in my routines, they just make people look, and they'll remember you for it. I don't have any for floor or vault, but some for beam and bars.
beam: If you start with your dominant leg horizontal in front of you, and keep that leg in that spot the whole skill (have someone hold your foot there at first if you need) and just turn half way around into a scale.
Bars: straddle like your doing a kip, but lean backwards so your toes go past the bar. Then, with your legs still in a straddle, push off the bar, snap your legs into a pike, and grab the bar again.

In the floor routine I had for the past two years, I did an inward full turn to my knee immediately into a back shoulder roll... kinda hard to explain, but it looked really neat! If we ever find the right cord to connect the camera to the computer, I will definately put up some of my meets and post a link!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back