Unjust beam score?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just got back from my first meet today. I got the following scores

bars-7.75

vault 9.0

floor-8.825

beam- 5.65:(

as you can plainly see i did horrible on beam.

all i did to deserve deductions that my coach said and what i saw in the video is i fell four times and wobbled a little certain skills. So I was wondering... do you think as a coach,judge,or gymnast do you think i derservered that score,was it a generous score, or did i deserve higher?

hard to say without a video but a fall is .5 each so that is two full points on the falls. depending on the wobbles they could have been up to .3 each then any deductions dor bent legs, not holding handstand (depending on your level) or not meeting other requirements for skills. what level?

indeed, falls are two full points, plus additional deductions if you didn't complete the skills you fell on, etc. hard to say with the information you provided.

i am sorry i did not provide enough info i did all of the other skills close to perfect and a bunch of ppl said tht i had to have close to perfect skills to get tht high of a score with that many falls. level four

lots of girls fall off beam (yes, multiple times) in their first meet. I would not worry about it. go back to the gym and work hard on the skills you fell off on so they just become second nature. falls happen, try your best & have fun if you have done that then be proud no matter what your score or placement. good luck @ your next meet.

lots of girls fall off beam (yes, multiple times) in their first meet. I would not worry about it. go back to the gym and work hard on the skills you fell off on so they just become second nature. falls happen, try your best & have fun if you have done that then be proud no matter what your score or placement. good luck @ your next meet.
thank you i am just really worried because all i want to do this year is make it to lvl 5 by the last 2 meets.

The falls will have cost you a lot. In FIG code, which is what we use in Australia it is 1.0 for every fall b
so its a 4 points deduction. But as was pointed out it is 0.5 in JO so that makes your routine out of 8.0 before we even start. If you take out the falls that lifts your score to a 7.65 which is not a bad score at all really. Also when you fell you may not have completed the skills. For example if you fall on a handstand but did not get your foot on then you may have lost the value of the skill as well. Little wobbles cost a lot of bean too because they add up quickly.

It is normal to fall a lot on your first competition, I remember getting a score very similar to your at my first real competition on beam. As you continue through the season it will improve.

Congrats on your first meet. Your beam score will go up. Those falls are killers. My little DD who was 6 at her first L4 meet got a 5.0...and she did NOT fall. ;) So you did great to end up with that AND fall 4 times. Hang in there and good luck at your next meet!

Congrats on your first meet. Your beam score will go up. Those falls are killers. My little DD who was 6 at her first L4 meet got a 5.0...and she did NOT fall. ;) So you did great to end up with that AND fall 4 times. Hang in there and good luck at your next meet!
thanks thats what a lot of people were telling me i just wasnt sure if they were trying to make me feel better or if it was true.

Did you have trouble getting back on the beam at any point? At dd's regional meet, she fell and rather than take a second to compose herself, she immediately attempted jump up to kneel back onto the beam, her knee missed and she slipped back to the floor. She learned the hard way that that is considered a second fall so she was deducted a full 1.0.

Another time, dd fell off the beam doing a BWO but because she complete missed the beam as her legs came down, she was deducted for the fall and for the missed skill. So 1.0 taken off. If she had touched the beam with one foot before the fall, the skill would have counted. I am not sure if there are any skills in L4 like that : thinking maybe the handstand if you fell without touching the beam with you foot first, a turn where you didn't touch you second foot down, (again,I don't know if this is the same as with the BWO - just putting it out there. Maybe a judge can help explain that). I am almost positive that touching the beam when you are not supposed to is considered a fall as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back