Anon Untreated back pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has a teammate who has been complaining about back pain for at least a year. Sometimes it's bad enough that she misses practice, and she's said it sometimes hurts so much that it hurts her to breathe. She's also started complaining of hip pain. Her parents will not take her to the doctor to get this checked out- my daughter has mentioned to her several times it would be a good idea to see a doctor and she's repeatedly said her parents won't take her in for her back. They have taken her to a sports chiropractor, but that seems to be as far as they are willing to go for treatment. I don't think the coaches have any idea how much pain this girl is in. I'm friendly with the mom but don't know her well and have no idea how I could approach her about this. I know it's not really my business, but back pain just doesn't seem like one of those things that should ever be ignored. Does back pain in gymnasts ever just heal on its own (like after a year of persistent pain)?!

Oh my goodness, that sounds horrible! That should never be ignored, especially since it's been going on for over a year..
I'm very concerned about this poor girl's parents... why aren't they taking her to a doctor?? Let her coach know, and I don't know if this is possible, but maybe even just call a doctor to come to the gym? Honestly, I don't think it would come to these measures, but call them! These are also similar to a child abusement case that my second cousin was apart of. I really hope that poor girl gets treatment. But do whatever you can to get her to a doctor..

At our gym, it is written in the team handbook that if an ache or pain is bothering an athlete enough that it requires modification or we hear complaints at practice for three consecutive practices, parents are required to take the child to a doctor and inform us of any diagnosis, prescribed treatment, or follow ups. We have had parents not want to take their kids in, and if we are modifying practice or the child is in pain, we firmly tell the parent that they cannot be there until we find out what is going on. We always frame it in terms of safety. It is dangerous to train on undiagnosed injuries and pains.

Honestly, I'd drop a tip to CPS. Seems dramatic, I'm sure, but this is on the edge of of abuse and should get looked into.

I'm a mandatory reporter at work, and FWIW I'd get in serious trouble if I failed to report something like this.

My daughter's journey with a fractured back and slipped disk started with hip pain (no back pain) and NO traumatic injury just overuse and training. If this athlete's back hurts enough to keep her out of practice she needs to see a doctor ASAP. To not take her in is horrifying to me.

We had a girl who had severe back pain, like crying in pain, her parents would only take her to a chiropractor who adjusted her for months on end until eventually telling them they need to get an X-ray at least. Bam, 3 back fractures. 18 months of 23 hours in a back brace, couldn’t hold her baby sibling, couldn’t bend down to touch her toes because one of the fractures persistently wouldn’t heal. 2 years later and she’s just starting to return back to normal. I’d text the coach or tell the coach in person, but that’s just me - it will not earn you friends lol

We had a girl who had severe back pain, like crying in pain, her parents would only take her to a chiropractor who adjusted her for months on end until eventually telling them they need to get an X-ray at least. Bam, 3 back fractures. 18 months of 23 hours in a back brace, couldn’t hold her baby sibling, couldn’t bend down to touch her toes because one of the fractures persistently wouldn’t heal. 2 years later and she’s just starting to return back to normal. I’d text the coach or tell the coach in person, but that’s just me - it will not earn you friends lol
No, I'm sure I won't earn any friends if I reach out to the coach. Today while I was driving DD to practice, we were talking about it and she said her teammate has said her mother won't take her to a doctor because she's worried it is serious and will take her out of the gym for a while. So, so awful. The fact that is has radiated into hip pain seems really concerning to me.

I cannot stress enough that this is not safe. Your daughter needs to tell her friend to tell her coaches what is going on. If the coaches don't get involved with requiring the parents to take her in before she continues training, I would not keep your daughter there. That is an unsafe environment. And honestly your daughter's friend should seriously consider leaving the sport if her parents won't take her to a doctor and get her the help she needs because they're afraid it will hinder her.

I think in this instance you have to to try to get something done, either by speaking to the coach or trying to reach out to her parents. You may be seen as being a busy-body but that's far better than saying nothing and then this girls pain turning out to be something very serious.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back