New For 2022
MEMBERS ONLY Parent Group!
Join for FREE!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paint A Melody

Gymnast
Jul 8, 2014
I'm doing optionals next year, and want to stand out from the crowd a little. What are some unusual skills that I can learn for next year? I also need a series on beam, but I can't think of an original series. I can do back walkovers, cartwheels, handstands, and possibly a back handspring. Does anyone have any ideas for interesting, uncommon series? Thank you!:)

Reactions: Aero

emilykatherine

Gymnast
Jun 6, 2013
I went to flipfest earlier this summer and everyone thought it was so cool that my series was a front handspring to one arm front handspring, you can't do that till a least level 8 tho

Paint A Melody

Gymnast
Jul 8, 2014
Front handspring on beam?!:eek:I don't even want to think about it.:oops: I'm doing Xcel Gold, so the requirements are a little bit different.

Oct 28, 2009
ask me! :)
Back extension roll BHS, BWO BT (dismount), Cartwheel BT (dismount), valdez into a back handspring (?). Those are pretty skills/dismounts are pretty rare around here!

raenndrops

Coach
Oct 24, 2009
The 'Wood, Ohio
Front handspring on beam?!:eek:I don't even want to think about it.:oops: I'm doing Xcel Gold, so the requirements are a little bit different.
If you are doing Gold, you don't need a SERIES on beam... just 2 different acro. It only has to be a series if it is the same thing twice.

At Gold, we see a lot of BWO or Cartwheel and HS for the other acro. Sometimes, we see a BHS. I think a Korbut would be cool (think BHS to straddle the beam)... maybe do that into a back shoulder roll to one knee - that would be interesting :)

happychaos

Proud Parent
Jul 29, 2011
I like your attitude! I think it's great that you want to do cool, fun, unique skills, as opposed to just worrying about what will score the highest.

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Oct 4, 2009
You could do front walkover -cartwheel not seen a lot at least where I am front walkover round off?

Not sure about US but cartwheel back tuck is a very common dismount in Aus especially in level 6/7

Reactions: wsg13

Paint A Melody

Gymnast
Jul 8, 2014
Thanks for the help guys! I'm doing Xcel Gold, but working on a series for Platnium. Some of these are very interesting! I might do a Valdez. Its a fun skill and I haven't seen anyone do it. Another girl is doing a front walkover cartwheel, and I don't want to steal it from her.

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
Mar 15, 2010
Canada
Don't know if you're looking for mounts, but yesterday I taught myself pike press to HS, pike press through to v-hold on beam. I haven't seen it and it looks very pretty.

Different dismounts: gainer off the end or off the side, one of my friends did HS-swing through to gainer half off the side which was cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.