Up-Training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TigerPawLove

Gymnast
When you first started Gymnastics, did you do a lot of up-training? And I don't mean working on a pullover in level 1, I mean my first lesson we were doing layouts on tumble trak, double fronts into the pit, and front tucks on floor. Our level fours are working layouts on rod floor and level fives are working fulls into the pit.

Is this normal? There has never been a time where we don't up-train, besides when we work routines. Even then, my level two routine had alot of level 3 and four skills.

How far should we be up-training?

Up-training is really common, they have you start drilling/working skills into pits/on tumble track so when it's time to move them to the floor, you're ready and it'll be a quick transition. So as to how far you should up train....Probably no more than 2 or 3 levels above.

2 or 3 levels. And really you're just working drills of those skills.

Thing is, I've seen gyms that do this and at the same time their basics and form were subpar. So fun, great atmosphere but definite weak spots were prevalent.

So then they tried to add that back in but now you're playing catch-up. That's what you have to be careful about.

Yes, in Australia everyone uptrains significantly. Our seasons are set up different to the way they do things in the US.

We uptrain about 2 levels, but it depends. We don't really uptrain if there's a meet coming up, though. When I was a level 4, our head coach didn't uptrain AT ALL. She ended up getting fired (for other reasons) and our head coach now uptrains us. When I look back, it's crazy that we weren't allowed to do kips until after all the big meets (states etc.)
^ sorry for all these words I hope they don't done stupid ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back