Parents Update: New Here - Not on Team Yet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AV24

Proud Parent
We went today and had DD's rec class, and then we stayed for a 30 min private lesson to see what it was all about and so I could talk to the coach in person when it was over.

I tried to get clarification from him about the whole team issue, and he brought in another coach to help translate since his English is a bit broken. Basically, he is not 'promising' team to her, but he does see potential. He said it could take a long time, but there is still a chance. So I tried to get his opinion on why he recommends private lessons instead of only rec. It was super confusing to me, because even with a translator he just kept saying 'it will help' and 'the team coaches are always around here looking.'

We weren't really getting anywhere, so I thanked him and started walking away. One of the girl's team coaches stopped me as I was walking by. She said she was sort of eavesdropping and wanted to know if she could help. So I asked her all of the same questions. She was encouraging and said that my DD is definitely not too old. If she was 9, she would tell us to look around at other gyms, but because she is 6, there is still plenty of time. The preschool girls aren't the only ones with a chance to move up. She wasn't familiar with my DD (I had her waiting in the lobby), so she said she couldn't give me any specific idea about her potential, but she could say that in May the team coaches usually scope out the rec girls to see if there is anyone who is able move to team.

So - that was very helpful!! At least I know the process for moving to team, and I also don't feel so rushed to get her on there immediately. As far as the privates go...that is where I am still unsure. The lesson she had today WAS very good. He was actually able to correct her form each time she did something, and that does not happen in a typical rec class. She does need a good bit of work on her form in the basics (cartwheels, handstands, etc...). She can do them, and she's coachable, but she has never had the chance to learn all of those skills 'cleanly' like I know they should be done. It was crazy how quickly she caught on today when he was focusing on just her. He kept talking to me at the end about how strong she is.

The other thing I noticed was that during the time slot of the private lesson, the rec classes were over. That is why the team coaches were able to talk to me, and I'm sure there is a much better chance that she will get seen by them when the gym isn't so crowded. I told him I would have to think more about the privates and that I would call the gym to let him know.

Overall, I know there is no crystal ball, but I did get encouragement that there may still be a chance for her to make the team at some point in the future. Everyone I have spoken to has been extremely friendly and eager to help, so I feel much better about things. For now, we will just stay where we are. Thank you for all of the advice! It's nice to be able to get opinions from people who have been there. :)

It still might be a good idea to go to a meet with your Dd so she can see what she is aiming for. While there, you could keep an eye on the other team interactions. I am skeptical of starting on team without considering other options. Too many CB families have jumped in only to wonder later if it was the right choice. You are at the perfect time to make a careful choice, even if you stay at your current gym.

At DD's old gym, they didn't spend time on form in the rec classes either. I was always waiting for her to make the team so she would finally get some good correction, and they seemed to choose girls for team who were able to present proper form on their own. Once we switched gyms and her form was paid attention to, she caught on very quickly. I think the privates sound like they will give your DD and edge that will help her get noticed, because if she already has the natural talent, a bit of form correction can go a long way. If I were you I would think about once or twice a month.

I tried to get clarification from him about the whole team issue, and he brought in another coach to help translate since his English is a bit broken. Basically, he is not 'promising' team to her, but he does see potential. He said it could take a long time, but there is still a chance. So I tried to get his opinion on why he recommends private lessons instead of only rec. It was super confusing to me, because even with a translator he just kept saying 'it will help' and 'the team coaches are always around here looking.'

. :)

I'm sorry but by his clarifying that he is "not promising team" to you, I would see the handwriting on the wall here that he is stringing you along for as long as you'll put up with it...she's 6 years old and should be able to do "team" of some sort (Levels 1-4) and if no one in that gym has her heading in that direction (without "privates" while still in rec) , then I'd cut my losses and go elsewhere...I most certainly would not continue to fork over money for privates, given the ambiguous statements of the coaches...

I have to agree with Bookworm, something just seems off. If they see potential in her, why not put her in a pre-team/developmental stream now? Why make you pay for months of privates with only the possibility of making team? Very odd.

I agree bookworm. Privates for a 6 year old in rec does not seem necessary and I have never heard it done. If she has potential they should want to develop it in the traditional manner.

They only move kids up once a year, and we started a month after they had formed their classes. They start competing at level 4 (maybe 3 now). I didn't commit to the lessons today. I am still thinking about it. He didn't promise she would make team, because he can't. He THINKS she will, but he can't promise that, because he doesn't make those decisions. All he can tell me is that he sees her potential, and there is a shot.

Could he be stringing us along? Yes.
Do I think the private lessons will help her irregardless of his intentions? Yes.
Will she take privates every week? No.
Would I rather her be invited to preteam or a developmental class? Of course. But if they don't do mid-year invites...

I tend to agree with Ligymmom about the form issue. A few lessons here and there will help her a lot with the basics that she isn't getting in the group. I'm not going to send her for privates every week. I feel better after talking to the female team coach about her age. We still have time. I don't feel like this year is her only shot at team. And we may still move gyms, but I don't want to do that until at least the summer. How can she get noticed by the team coaches if she doesn't stay at the same gym for more than a few months? We've only been there since June.

And yes, txgymfan, I definitely still want to take her to a meet. I'll pay attention and try to learn as much as I can about gyms in our area to help us make sure we find the right fit. That was excellent advice, and I think I know which meet we're going to first. In the spring we'll reassess our situation. It's a learning experience. There is no crystal ball. We just have to do what is best for our family. It isn't 100% about her, either. My older son takes rec classes, too, and he doesn't adapt well to change. I would like to make things work at this gym if at all possible.

Mellow Yellow, it seems like you are going into this "privates" thing with your eyes wide open. At least as open as they can be at this point. I encourage you to continue to do your research and reassess often (especially at $40 for a 30 minute lesson!) If they are interested in your DD for team it shouldn't take long for you to see signs of their interest. The occasional pat on DD's head from one of the team coaches, a team coach stopping momentarily to observe as they walk by, team coaches greeting her by name as she encounters them in passing, etc. At our gym we have 3 rec levels (beginner - 1 hour, intermediate - 1.5 hours, advanced - 2 hours) and rapid progression through those levels along with some of the above mentioned is the best indication of interest.

Whoooooa, she's only 6? I guess I missed that in the other thread. 6 is extremely young. I thought she was 8 or 9. This makes less sense to me now. I definitely recommend going for evaluations at other gyms, if there are any, to see how their programs work and how she would fit in.

[quote="Mellow Yellow, post: 258241, member: 15659"How can she get noticed by the team coaches if she doesn't stay at the same gym for more than a few months? We've only been there since June.[/quote]

She'll get noticed for team because another gym will place her directly into the developmental classes (pre-team) where she will be expected to make team when she has the skills. Or they will place her directly onto team if they compete the very lower levels.

I hate this kind of nonsense at gyms. The head games.

In my opinion, every girl who loves gymnastics enough to show up and give good effort for 2.5-3 hour workouts including conditioning and real flexibility should be offered a level of preteam or team that will be safe for her to participate in given her skill level.

[quote="Mellow Yellow, post: 258241, member: 15659"How can she get noticed by the team coaches if she doesn't stay at the same gym for more than a few months? We've only been there since June.

She'll get noticed for team because another gym will place her directly into the developmental classes (pre-team) where she will be expected to make team when she has the skills. Or they will place her directly onto team if they compete the very lower levels.
[/quote]

This was exactly my point...if they see she has "potential" she should be able to be placed on some sort of team level, even if it is a lower one, without privates while continuing in rec. She's either team material or she's not, in that particular gym, and regardless of whether they place girls on team in this particular month, I'd want an answer because you can bet if a talented gymnast of any level walked into that gym today and the coaches thought she could help the team, she'd be on the team...I agree with emorymom, this is nothing but head games..

While I too am skeptical of the whole "privates for 6 year old rec kids" thing, I think Mellow Yellow needs to be comfortable with her decision. If I recall correctly, Mellow's DD has only been in rec at this facility for a short time. At our gym (a very large and busy gym), when a child starts in the rec program the whole 1st eight week session is used to evaluate the child for everything from physical ability to commitment (ie does the child attend regularly) to maturity. It would only be after that initial eight week session that a parent MIGHT notice some interest. Every now and then a "wonder child" shows up who is scooped up for team immediately but that's not the norm. Our gym doesn't string people along (at least not from my perspective) but, because we have no shortage of girls looking to get on our team they do take their time before offering up the team option. They want to see a certain level of commitment at the rec level although, that commitment does NOT include privates for 6 year olds rec kids.

As long as Mellow understands that the whole "privates" thing is a huge red flag and she should be actively investigating other gym options (going to some meets, etc) I think she'll be fine. She's right in that a FEW privates at this current gym while she is investigating and coming to terms with her options should only help her DD's gymnastics.

Mellow, you've received some excellent advice here on CB. I too am concerned that your current gym or at least that particular coach MAY be a bit more interested in your money than your DD's potential gym "career". But... I could be wrong. Ultimately you have to be comfortable with your decision!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back