Off Topic *UPDATE on 4th grade instrument!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello all! Some of you know that dd recently chose the flute to play for 4th grade band. I just wanted to give you all a little update! She is doing great!!! She practices on her own (without me having to remind or nag her:eek:) and she even takes the time to clean and polish and whatever else they have to do to take care of it! Talk about self-motivated!!

Here are some clips of her:

YouTube - Merrily We Roll Along

YouTube - Hot Cross Buns

Enjoy!!

GREAT JOB!!! :)

I always wanted to play the flute....but had to start with the clarinet when I was a kid....cause that's what my Father played and we had one in the house. Once I started band, I picked up on it real quick and could learn a new instrument in no time. So when the band needed a certain instrument, the band director would give it to me to learn. When I graduated from High School, I could play the clarinet, saxaphone, oboe, trumpet, baritone, french horn and the piano lol....but NEVER got to learn the flute...always enough flute players lol......

That's what Shawnee wants to play when she gets into 4th!! :) My oldest tried the sax last year in 4th, but had trouble reaching the keys...so he got frustrated and gave it up....now he wants to learn the D R U M S !! (yikes!!!) but there are enough drums in the elementary band...so he is waiting until Jr High next year! lol.

Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!!

And by the way....Shawnee watched your dd's cheer video and LOVED it! Said she was AWESOME! I think our two would have alot in common lol

GREAT JOB!!! :)

I always wanted to play the flute....but had to start with the clarinet when I was a kid....cause that's what my Father played and we had one in the house. Once I started band, I picked up on it real quick and could learn a new instrument in no time. So when the band needed a certain instrument, the band director would give it to me to learn. When I graduated from High School, I could play the clarinet, saxaphone, oboe, trumpet, baritone, french horn and the piano lol....but NEVER got to learn the flute...always enough flute players lol......

That's what Shawnee wants to play when she gets into 4th!! :) My oldest tried the sax last year in 4th, but had trouble reaching the keys...so he got frustrated and gave it up....now he wants to learn the D R U M S !! (yikes!!!) but there are enough drums in the elementary band...so he is waiting until Jr High next year! lol.

Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!!

And by the way....Shawnee watched your dd's cheer video and LOVED it! Said she was AWESOME! I think our two would have alot in common lol

Thanks Carin! Wow! You're a one woman band!! LOL Awww-your dd Shawnee sounds sweet! Yes--I'm sure they have a ton in common and would get along great--between cheer and gymnastics what else is there to talk about!!! LOL Tell Shawnee Danica says thanks for the nice words on her cheer!

Does Shawnee miss cheer at all? I ask Dani that every once in a while and she says she really doesn't miss it. She says that gymnastics is so much more fun and there is more to do. She also says she like gymnastics better because "the beam doesn't get mad at me or tell me to 'pull up' when I fall off". We had some rough times last year with cheer :-(

I know lol...it drove me nuts....cause ALL I ever wanted was to play the flute....but I figured if I was agreeable and learned all these others I'd get the chance....never happened lol. When Shawnee said she wanted to play the flute.....I can admit it I was like "YES!" lol

No, she doesn't really seem to miss cheer at all. She does miss her coach terribly (they were very close...she did her private lessons with her, taught her her individual routine, and taught most of the tumbling classes she took too...so they spend more time together than the other girls) But they email back and forth and she is planning on coming to see her compete in the spring. ( I have a cute video we made for her coach for a gift at the end of last season....I should post it) But she has already fallen in love with her new coach...who is very nice.

We had a tough last year too....the parents can be brutal.....and cause of them even the kids....there were a few on her team who would tell her....."My goal is to be better than you...how do you like that?" So you can imagine where they got it from. There were parents who watched for the sole purpose of waiting to see her mess up so they could comment on it. She is just a fast learner and they did not like it at all.

She already likes it much more....she LOVES the beam. And there isn't the pressure to hurry up and learn a skill so you can move right on to the next, even if it isn't perfect. Since switching her tuck has gotten SO much stronger....her standing is high off the ground now. And she has been working on layouts....but she doesn't feel pushed..which she did before.

That's awesome! I am so happy that she is doing so well! Not having that pressure "to get another skill" is so nice. Sounds like we had the same kind of year. We had a lot of brutal parents as well who would wait for my dd to mess up so that they could comment on it. DD is extremely flexible so she made a great natural flyer and I guess a lot of parents/kids were jealous of that. It definitely rubbed off on the kids because some kids would say things like "I'm going to mess up on purpose so we all lose" or "You are the worst flyer ever!" (to my dd), or "You're too fat to be a flyer" (to another flyer on our team)...I could go on and on. It was pretty disturbing and sick if you ask me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back