Parents Update on mental blocks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

@momstrong She's 14 -- just started 9th grade. And she is one who always wants to question and understand everything before doing it, because she doesn't trust the process if she doesn't understand it. So being the last to try a skill isn't new for her, really. But being paralyzed with fear was totally new.

@GymMom4 And one thing I love about our gym is how even though we have amazing national champion/natia cup/ ranch caliber gymnasts, they are also willing to accept a kid who didn't start gymnastics until she was 9/10. Many gyms at our caliber would never have looked at my dd because she isn't in their mold, but our owners and coaches look at the kid and how hard they work rather than their age, their body type, etc.

I love all of this! Inspiring, since my dd is also not the mold at 10 and just starting JO. And also not small/compact, rather tall/lanky. Inspiring!

I love all of this! Inspiring, since my dd is also not the mold at 10 and just starting JO. And also not small/compact, rather tall/lanky. Inspiring!

My daughter didn't start gymnastics until a few weeks before she turned 9 but about 6 months later she made level 3 team - without having a ROBH. She was the *very* last person on her level 3 team to get it. She doesn't have a naturally flexible back or shoulders - but she had a lot of determination. She competed level 3 as a 10 year old.

Now, 5 years after her first gymnastics class (she started in late Sept after the 2012 Olympics) she is heading into level 9. She is almost 14 & at 5'3" has caught up to me in height - so she's definitely not the "typical" gymnast. But her drive, hard work & determination have gotten her to where she is today. And her coaches of course. I'm very glad that our gym looked past her age & saw her willingness to work hard. I hope your daughter enjoys it as much as mine does.

I swear the mental blocks are harder on the parents than the kids. We hate seeing them suffer, amd would do anything to be able to help them get through....there are so many approaches to try, motivational cds, doc ali, not mentioning it, counseling through it, etc....but in the end all we can do as parents is think many a good thought that they get through it, and be encouraging and loving as they navigate through their fears. I remember reading how failure is the first step in success, and feel that this is true not only with this sport but in life. I cannot count all the times my dd has gone through mental challenges with this sport (and dont want to!), but I can say that because she has gone through them before, she knows "this too shall eventually pass," and does her best to stay patient through the process. This does not mean it is easy on her (or me, lol) during this time! I swear I have scars on my tongue from keeping my mouth shut at times when I know she doesnt want to hear anything from me. I have found what works best is to follow her lead. There will be days where she wants to talk about it, and days where she doesnt. I never ask; it is all child driven. One thing i have found that has helped my dd when she is down about it (on the down days, that is the hard thing with these blocks-everyday the mood seems to be different) is to divert her focus to one of the other events that is going really well for her, and talk about how far she has come. It is fun to talk about the past and bring up old memories. By doing this, it also quietly reminds her of how far she has come with the event/skill she is blocking, without touching on the skill itself.
Op and others, i hope your children get through these blocks smoothly. And for the adults can I suggest wine. And chocolate.

I swear the mental blocks are harder on the parents than the kids. We hate seeing them suffer, amd would do anything to be able to help them get through....there are so many approaches to try, motivational cds, doc ali, not mentioning it, counseling through it, etc....but in the end all we can do as parents is think many a good thought that they get through it, and be encouraging and loving as they navigate through their fears. I remember reading how failure is the first step in success, and feel that this is true not only with this sport but in life. I cannot count all the times my dd has gone through mental challenges with this sport (and dont want to!), but I can say that because she has gone through them before, she knows "this too shall eventually pass," and does her best to stay patient through the process. This does not mean it is easy on her (or me, lol) during this time! I swear I have scars on my tongue from keeping my mouth shut at times when I know she doesnt want to hear anything from me. I have found what works best is to follow her lead. There will be days where she wants to talk about it, and days where she doesnt. I never ask; it is all child driven. One thing i have found that has helped my dd when she is down about it (on the down days, that is the hard thing with these blocks-everyday the mood seems to be different) is to divert her focus to one of the other events that is going really well for her, and talk about how far she has come. It is fun to talk about the past and bring up old memories. By doing this, it also quietly reminds her of how far she has come with the event/skill she is blocking, without touching on the skill itself.
Op and others, i hope your children get through these blocks smoothly. And for the adults can I suggest wine. And chocolate.

LOVE hearing from awesome veterans like you as we start this process. Your advice and experience is so valuable.

I posted in the summer about my dd developing a mental block on vault. (That level 8 vault is apparently terrifying for some kids). I pointed her to doc Ali but otherwise resisted even talking about it. Then the fear spread to beam. I told her to not worry about it and it would come back.

Today, middle of practice, she texts me In All Caps OMGOMGOMG. Then comes a video of her doing a tsuk over the vault. Then comes a video from yesterday, her doing a standing back tuck on beam. She also has her series back. And is landing the round off again most of the time. She is over the moon.

I'm so glad we just left it alone and didn't talk about it or push. And she is so proud of herself for figuring it out. She got the official "you are competing level 8" nod today, as vault was all she needed.
you are a great mom!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back