Parents Update on mental blocks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Texasmomof3

Proud Parent
I posted in the summer about my dd developing a mental block on vault. (That level 8 vault is apparently terrifying for some kids). I pointed her to doc Ali but otherwise resisted even talking about it. Then the fear spread to beam. I told her to not worry about it and it would come back.

Today, middle of practice, she texts me In All Caps OMGOMGOMG. Then comes a video of her doing a tsuk over the vault. Then comes a video from yesterday, her doing a standing back tuck on beam. She also has her series back. And is landing the round off again most of the time. She is over the moon.

I'm so glad we just left it alone and didn't talk about it or push. And she is so proud of herself for figuring it out. She got the official "you are competing level 8" nod today, as vault was all she needed.

You know how hard it was to never once ask how things were going and just trust that it would work out. Two months of torture, I tell you."

This. I am trying to do damage control. I think I asked too much. I have since backed off, but think I was "trying to be helpful" too much. Ugh, the balance between being supportive and being annoying.

So glad to hear that your dd found her way!!

ETA: I do not know why it posted like that; the whole post as a quote. Oh well

@Mish I really feel your pain. On the one hand, I wanted my dd to know I am here for her, as her advocate and her biggest fan, and I will do anything in my power to help her. But on the other hand, everything I have heard and read says it is best to not talk about it or bring it up, because the more you focus on it, the more pressure the athlete feels. So I completed avoided the topic with her, all the while hoping I was really doing the right thing. (I did speak to the coach once, early on, and he assured me that she could do the skills and it was just a self-imposed pressure that she would get over in time and he wasn't worried about it.)

I posted in the summer about my dd developing a mental block on vault. (That level 8 vault is apparently terrifying for some kids). I pointed her to doc Ali but otherwise resisted even talking about it. Then the fear spread to beam. I told her to not worry about it and it would come back.

Today, middle of practice, she texts me In All Caps OMGOMGOMG. Then comes a video of her doing a tsuk over the vault. Then comes a video from yesterday, her doing a standing back tuck on beam. She also has her series back. And is landing the round off again most of the time. She is over the moon.

I'm so glad we just left it alone and didn't talk about it or push. And she is so proud of herself for figuring it out. She got the official "you are competing level 8" nod today, as vault was all she needed.

This is great news!!

Any advice for an early block for my first year level 3 girl on back handsprings? She's 10 now. Last year when she was 9, no problem, I have video of her doing them both ROBHS and standing BHS. She's getting it back with some extra privates, but has admittedly said how scared she is to go backwards now. :( Her first meet is this weekend and she won't be doing it.

This is great news!!

Any advice for an early block for my first year level 3 girl on back handsprings? She's 10 now. Last year when she was 9, no problem, I have video of her doing them both ROBHS and standing BHS. She's getting it back with some extra privates, but has admittedly said how scared she is to go backwards now. :( Her first meet is this weekend and she won't be doing it.

Does she say or know why it's scary now? Is she doing the meet but just not doing the BH? I hope so. I wish I had some good advice. I just hope it's something she can overcome sooner rather than later.

When I got this text yesterday I thought of this post & had to share. We did a 30 min private w/her coach last week where he told her that she needed to "trust the process". She's a type A perfectionist & needs reminding that she can't fix everything on her own. Since last Wednesday I've been asking her "Did you trust the process today?" jokingly but also to reinforce what her coach said.

So she sends this - all in caps - which is what made me think of this post. But then she says she can't hear! Her sinuses are so congested that the pressure in her ears was all wrong & everything was really muffled! How did she do a 3.5 hour practice so congested?? That makes me dizzy just thinking about it. These girls are so tough!

Attachments

• IMG_4594.jpg
    IMG_4594.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 74
@momstrong She's 14 -- just started 9th grade. And she is one who always wants to question and understand everything before doing it, because she doesn't trust the process if she doesn't understand it. So being the last to try a skill isn't new for her, really. But being paralyzed with fear was totally new.

@GymMom4 And one thing I love about our gym is how even though we have amazing national champion/natia cup/ ranch caliber gymnasts, they are also willing to accept a kid who didn't start gymnastics until she was 9/10. Many gyms at our caliber would never have looked at my dd because she isn't in their mold, but our owners and coaches look at the kid and how hard they work rather than their age, their body type, etc.

@GymMom4 And one thing I love about our gym is how even though we have amazing national champion/natia cup/ ranch caliber gymnasts, they are also willing to accept a kid who didn't start gymnastics until she was 9/10. Many gyms at our caliber would never have looked at my dd because she isn't in their mold, but our owners and coaches look at the kid and how hard they work rather than their age, their body type, etc.[/QUOTE]

Awesome gym. More should follow this gyms lead.

Does she say or know why it's scary now? Is she doing the meet but just not doing the BH? I hope so. I wish I had some good advice. I just hope it's something she can overcome sooner rather than later.

Yes, I believe there are several girls that will be starting with whatever the huge deduction is on floor because they are not doing the BHS. She just says that she is older now and knows what can happen and going backwards is scary. I think she's working through it and doing it with a spot in class, so that is progress!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back