Parents Update on my DD and her back

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Trixiebelle

Proud Parent
Here is the email I just sent her coach. I think it sums up what's going on pretty well. While I'm sad it isn't something minor - I am so very grateful it isn't something that requires immediate departure from the sport. So long as she is not in danger of causing permanent damage, I will continue to support her and her passion for gymnastics. I will however expose her to other sports and hobbies along the way. As I told Trixie at the appointment today, I want her to be excited about it, have fun with it and enjoy every moment of it. When those things start to fade - due to pain or something else, there is not shame in moving on to another chapter.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dear Coach XXXX,

We met with Trixie’s Dr today and the news was good to fair. Her scoliosis has not progressed and has even straightened a bit on the lumbar curve (Yay!) She will be screened every 6 months as she is still growing.

As for the pain – it is spondylolysis. At today’s physical exam, Trixie was completely pain free and was given the go ahead to start back at gym. I have asked Trixie to ease into it (as she was saying she couldn’t wait to do 10 giants) and to not push herself too much for at least another week. She does not have to completely avoid tumbling but should perhaps only tumble as much as needed to get her ready for tomorrow.

Long term prognosis is fair. She has a chronic fracture with no slippage. Based on this the Dr. feels that she can continue so long as she is pain free. He told her she will continue to have flare ups like she did and the frequency, duration and intensity of these flare ups will ultimately challenge her and probably cause her to move on from gymnastics. He stressed the importance of taking a break from activity when the pain flares up and to really listen to her body. Most importantly though is that it is very unlikely that this will progress into something more severe. That was my biggest concern.

Trixie loves the sport, the gym and you. We did a lot of talking this week and she shared with me how much the gym means to her and even told me you are like a second Mom to her. The prospect of having to tell her she had to leave all that was almost unbearable to me and I’m grateful that today went as well as it did. Between you and me? I think her dreams of college gymnastics are beyond her reach, not for lack of passion or determination, but that her body just can’t keep up.

I keep going back to something you shared with us parents years ago and still have on your website – that you strive for your gymnasts to enjoy and participate in the sport as long as they can. I hope that Trixie can continue to have fun, reach personal goals and feel a part of something bigger for as long as she wants to.

Thank you for all that you have done this past summer and are doing to work with Trixie and help her through this. I don’t know how much longer she will be able to continue but I do know that she will be able to come to that decision on her own terms over time.

Great letter, made me misty... Glad no progression of injury and even some improvement. Trixie sounds like a wonderful girl!

I am glad to hear that she can continue with the sport that she loves! Hope that she can stay pain free.

Very nice, well-written letter. The bottom line is that, for most girls out there, this sport is just brutal on their bodies. It's not their fault.. it just happens. Good luck to her for her upcoming meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back