Parents Update

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Empowered

Proud Parent
So we spend two days doing trial training at a new gym last week. My daughter liked it there and loved that she got to work on stuff she never gets to do at her gym like backwalkovers, bhs, front limbers, etc. The only thing she didn't like was the hour long drive to get there.

The coaches said they definintely saw here moving up with their level 4 girls this year and competing come fall which at the very least lets me know her coaches and I aren't imagining her ability. They said she was powerful and extremely strong and they felt she'd have her bhs within a couple weeks! It seems like a great fit except for the commute.

I sent emails and left messages in an attempt to speak to the Team Coordinator at her old gym and as of yet still haven't heard anything. I appreciate all the advice to ask her what my DD is missing, what she needs to do in order to advance, however if I cannot even get her to talk to me, it's kind of a moot point what I say.

Her coach apologized that the team coordinator hadn't gotten back to me and said there have been several complaints about this kind of non-professional attitude. She said she feels in her heart that my DD should be training with the level 4's and has no idea what the hold up is.

So now I as the parent have to make the decision for my child, do I stay where we are and hope they move her up (praying all along she doesn't get stuck not progressing for another year) or do I move gyms now and just hope in a month she isn't dreading yet another hour long drive to the gym.

*Sigh* Fun Times!

I am so sorry. What a tough spot you are in. I can't imagine an hour drive either. My daughter loves the gym, but hates being in the car, so I don't think she would want to do that either. I know there are lots of girls here that DO do the hour drive in the car, maybe they have some tips for keeping the car ride fun?

Have you talked to the owner? I think that after waiting this long to get a response from the team coordinator, a call to the owner is in order.

Good luck and hope some parents that do long drives to the gym will chime in with some things their girls do on the drive to and from gym. :D

I don't envy you, that's for sure! Pixie's gym is the only gym in the area and if we wanted to move her up to one of the "better gyms" in the state that would mean driving at least an hour. I can't imagine driving that twice a day for 5 days out of the week. That's a big commitment and time away from my other kids. And we're just not willing to make that yet.

However, if that's your last resort I can understand making that drive as I would look at it as an investment in my child.

Which ever way you decide to go, if it were me, I wouldn't make a final decision without talking with the team coordinator first. And since you are unable to talk with the team coordinator I would next look to getting in touch with the owner.

Good luck!

The only thing I can add is from the perspective of a parent who drives a lot to the gym. I spend at least 15 hours in the car a week drivng my two girls to gym. They do not train on the same days or at the same time. If it wasn't for a wonderful hubby and a 16 year old son who help me by dealng with meals, childcare etc there is no way I could make it work. Being in the car a lot is not for every kid or family. My kids have no choice they spend about 2 hours a day on the school bus!

Your DD is very little and you have to decide whether the investment of both time and money is for you right now. Also will you drive there and back or will you hang out a the gym. Check if that is okay at the new gym, some do not encourage parents hanging out for many reasons, other gyms are totally okay with it.

If you do have other kids, how will they fit into the equation, will their needs be attended to or will they have to also make sacrifices for the new gym as well? All things to consider.

I think Bogwoppit makes some very good points. At level 4, she is still learning the basics. Is it worth it to spend 2 hours in the car every time you make that trip? Along with all the sacrifices to do that? If your daughter is talented and sticks with gymnastics, this could be a decision that may well wait til she's a bit older and more advanced? I do agree that it is unprofessional not to receive a return phone call. Can you try to get in touch w/the owners of the gym? You do deserve a response from them!!!

Good luck with this decision. This is definitely a hard one!

If it was me, and the team-coordinator did not respond to my call, I would find out when she is at the gym working and go talk to her in person. Yes, its sort of an ambush, but she should have called you back. Honestly, I like face to face conferences when talking about my kids with teachers or coaches. I get a better feel for what they are thinking.
Just a suggestion before you make any changes.

Well, we drive 45 minutes and I can say it gets really exhausting. Between my two dd's I go M-F, I am actually looking for a house closer to gym, we are moving anyway and if I'm gonna move, I want to lessen my drive please.

I am really sorry you have to deal with it anyways, and I'm sure whatever decision will be the best for your dd.

I do have to add one thing My dd's gymmie friends are some of their best friends and it is very hard that they live that far away. Just a thought.

Good Luck!

That's a tough call since she is just starting out in gymnastics, I can not imagine spending 2 hours in the car everyday to go to gymnastics. Is there another option or another gym closer? If not I would try talk to your old gym and do not burn bridges with the old gym some gyms are just picky who they let on the team but maybe if your talk to them she can take classes to move her in that direction. You also have to figure out time to do homework and gas money and then you could be stuck there for 3-4 hours while they practice. You are in a tough spot but I would think it through before you jump into the other gym and I would find out exactly how many hours and days she needs to be there to practice. Your daughter was complaining about the commute the first time it could get really old doing that a couple times a week. Hope things work out for you.

I have to agree with other posters. Get some answers from the gym you're at. If that means going in to make an appointment to talk with the owner then so be it. Don't know how long dd's practice would be at the new gym, but my guess is you wouldn't feel like driving an hour just to drop her off and drive home plus she is rather young and you may not feel comfortable leaving her. So, could you and the family handle having you and dd gone for x hours/week. Then there are issues with weather, school(would you have to take her out early?), getting homework done etc.

Depending on this new gym, you may get involved in booster club things that require you to be at the gym on a day when dd doesn't have practice which means even more driving. Another poster brought up a good point that these kids usually become good friends, but your dd wouldn't have anything in common(like school) with the other girls and might be left out of some little after practice or social activities because of the long drive for you---such as staying for an after practice lunch and you need to get going!

You already said she's not happy being in the car for 1 hour and each practice would be 2 hours. Last thing you would want is getting home with a grumpy/tired child and then trying to get shower, dinner, homework done.

I know trying to get straight answers from gyms can drive parents insane!!! I'm going through that right now with a coach that apparently doesn't know how to use a phone. Be persistent, have your questions written out and see what the owner can tell you. Then you can sit down and see if this gym is worth staying at or look elsewhere.

I agree with the others in that you should consider that drive very carefully before switching gyms. Don't forget that as she progresses on team it will soon be 5 days a week for 3 or 4 hours. How will you pass that time? And if you do have the time, don't forget the extra expense. Not just gas, but the hidden costs in those extra miles like tires, oil, mainenance, depreciation, insurance, etc. Its also a year-round commitment. What's that drive going to be like in the winter? Just some things to think about.

Our drive is a little over an hour one way to my daughter's gym. Our last gym was about five minutes away. We've been to our new gym over a year now and my daughter has not once complained about the drive. She normally has her nintendo ds, ipod, and other things to entertain herself and she also finishes up any homework that she may have. We keep a small reading light in the car in case of homework. She's learned to finish her homework most days at school during study hall, lunches, etc....Our old gym hired an absolute horrible coach so staying there was not an option. My daughter went to a trial practice at our current gym and fell in love with it. I have to say it was the best move we've ever made. The drive is long and I can no longer go home during her practices but I've met some really great parents that I hang out with and her coaches are so wonderful. While your daughter is young right now if they aren't advancing her up to level 4 right now and she's ready what are they going to do once she is competing level 4 and ready for 5? Will they consistantly hold her back and waste years of gymnastics time for her? My daughter was a level 5 when we moved a year ago and she is now training level 7. Her highest score in 5 was 29.9. No one took the time to coach her. Her score at her last meet was 35.5. The difference is amazing! Higher scores and with harder routines and skills! I guess what I'm trying to say is that the drive is long but factor in everything else such as coaching, advancement, and what you will be doing. My daughter almost missed out on a great opportunity because I wasn't sure about the drive but now I actually look forward to it because it gives me one on one time with my daughter. Oh-and friends can be great even if they are far away. My daughter makes plans for Friday nights and I will drive her there, she will stay overnight with her friend, and then I will pick her up after practice the next day. It doesn't say any driving time for me but it does allow me to be at home a lot more. It's great in the summer too. She's already stayed over two nights in a row with her best friend and she's much closer to them then any of her school friends. All in all it's been a great experience for her. Sorry for rambling!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back