US gymnast hurt at camp??? FIG code killing gymnasts...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

bribri514

I don't want to be a rumor monger but I've seen some pretty reliable info that another gymnast was hurt at camp and everyone is saying it was Macko :-/

From Larry Nassar's facebook;

"Day 3 and the first day of competition for the selection for the teams. We had a very unfurtunate injury. These athletes train so hard, it is so very sad to see one of them injured. The sport needs to change and change soon. It has reached the level that the human body can not progress beyond. The FIG rules need to change and they need to do it very soon so that the sport can survive."

Wow. I agree personally and I know a lot of other people do too. I've always been a "power" gymnast myself but think the FIG code has gotten ridiculous and rewards routines that huck harder skills with little regard to mastery or execution and you know artistry (it is called womens ARTISTIC gymnastics not womens DOING THE HARDEST SKILLS POSSIBLE WITHOUT BREAKING YOUR NECK FALLING COMPLETELY ON YOUR FACE WITH A COUPLE LITTLE HAND POSES AS "DANCING" gymnastics.

First off, best wishes to Mackenzie if she's the injured one and I hope to God it's not too serious and she'll recover.

Secondly, it's pathetic when most teams, especially the US, can't have a healthy senior roster by Worlds. Furthermore what will happen to the girls who are training Juniors now at this level... I can't imagine what sort of injuries they're in store for. I love gymnastics and everything about it but it's not worth your health or safety, short or long term. I don't want to be over dramatic but the FIG should address these concerns in my opinion. Thoughts?

I actually show my baby girl vids of the "old timers" Nelli Kim, Olg Korbut, Nadia etc from when I was little, when artistry was much more important, if you look back at those routines they seem almost basic now, but they had style and grace, I totally agree with you.

'margo

Thanks Iwannabemargo.

Also a lot of people have responded to these concerns from many by saying gymnastics has always been dangerous and difficult and we should stop complaining that it's gotten too hard, because it's an elite sport and it shouldn't be made easier.

My response to that is we're not "complaining" gymnastics has gotten too hard and to make it easier. It will always be a hard sport. The new code however, makes it UNNECESSARILY DANGEROUS. The old code still made the sport hard and the athletes worked their butts off. It was still dangerous in a way, but was working on being controlled. No one should have to risk their life for a sport, and it's ridiculous to think they should. It's also ridiculous the US can't field a healthy roster out of all their senior elites because they're too injured from the code and the way the US/Marta set up the incredibly high number of selection camps and do them right before major comps (like what happened in the Olympics in '08). What's the point in making a sport so dangerous and injury making that no one is healthy enough to compete?

I might possible be corrected by people who've been around the sport longer and are more involved in the higher ups, but this is just something I've observed and feel pretty strong about anyway.

I can confirm that it was indeed Macko. She injured both ankles on her double pike off the balance beam. Not sure of the extent of the injury yet. I hope she recovers in time for her NCAA season.

Poor Macko :-( One of my friends is at camp now but she couldn't really say much about it, understandably. I hope she gets better soon and can still do NCAA. Do you know what the injury is?

I can confirm that it was indeed Macko. She injured both ankles on her double pike off the balance beam. Not sure of the extent of the injury yet. I hope she recovers in time for her NCAA season.

This is just horrible. One of my DD's friends from a different gym actually broke both her ankles in June doing this skill. It has been a really difficult summer for her, but at least now she is in a walking cast on one side and a super/duper ankle brace on the other.

That breaks my heart! I love Macko and I hope it's not serious. I agree that too many amazing gymnasts are getting hurt these days and while I don't know what could be done to prevent that, something should be done!

That sucks...

Get well soon Macko!

I've always been a "power" gymnast myself but think the FIG code has gotten ridiculous and rewards routines that huck harder skills with little regard to mastery or execution and you know artistry (it is called womens ARTISTIC gymnastics not womens DOING THE HARDEST SKILLS POSSIBLE WITHOUT BREAKING YOUR NECK FALLING COMPLETELY ON YOUR FACE WITH A COUPLE LITTLE HAND POSES AS "DANCING" gymnastics.

I actually show my baby girl vids of the "old timers" Nelli Kim, Olg Korbut, Nadia etc from when I was little, when artistry was much more important, if you look back at those routines they seem almost basic now, but they had style and grace, I totally agree with you.

I agree, I think some of the artistry is being lost, it is becoming power tumbling with a few poses in between. I love to watch the older style gymnastics, there are a lot of really beautiful and interesting moves that are not done any more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back