USAG levels and colleges

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok so different colleges will accept you at different levels of USAG so i was wondering about what level these colleges would be.

Towson University (maryland)

Southern Utah University

University of Maryland

University of Pittsburgh

University of North Carolina (chapel hill)

Most of these teams have mostly L10s and maybe the occasional strong 9 who had a strong event or two. UNC, Towson, and MD I would bet on having pretty much all former 10s in a given year. Pittsburgh may have some 9s. Don't know much about SUU. But colleges don't really accept different levels, D1 schools in general are recruiting for L10 routines (which match up reasonable well with the NCAA reqs). They may take 9s who haven't had a chance to compete L10, but have L10 routines on some events or are close.

Southern Utah almost definitely has all former L10s. Like gymdog said, it's not really what level you last competed so much as what level your routines are. All schools want 10.0 SVs; the closer you come to that, the higher likelihood of being "wanted."

T.Gym's post made me smile because my daugther has competed against two of the teams on the list last year (Towson and Pitt).

To answer the question, ALL of those teams will generally only look at Level 10s. The only hope for a Level 9 is if she has tape or youtube showing that she can perform a 10.0 start value routine. So someone with a full twisting layout yurechenko has a great shot. Someone with E level skills has a great shot. Everyone else, not so much, unless they come close to that 10.0 start value (e.g., are working on those skills and can show promise/progress on video).

All this assumes that you also have the grades to meet the school's admission requirements.

Last edited:
ok thank you i have four years still and i think that my best bet would be spcailizing in floor and getting all my values there. and im almost sure i have the grades so far for my hs classes to meet requirements.

Dd's coach has always stressed vault and bars. Most girls can do floor and she never really mentions beam. But she always says that the scholarships come for vault and bars. I, personally, don't know if that is true, my kid is only in middle school. ;)

Well im not sure if thats true or not... but i hate vaulting and i am horrible at bars. decent on beam and by far best on floor.

I was a college gymnast that was recruited because I was strong on vault and had power on floor. However, I also had all around start values at a 10.0. I think it's better to be an asset all around. 9.9 SV's would be ok if you are clean and consistant and will average the same score every meet. I had teammates that had 9.9SV's but were consistent every meet at getting a 9.7 and they competed all season. I was also told when I was being recruited by one school that they were particularly looking for bars and some were looking for beam. A lot depends on if their seniors they are losing are strong on a certain event.... they will need replacements to fill those shoes.

Dd's coach has always stressed vault and bars. Most girls can do floor and she never really mentions beam. But she always says that the scholarships come for vault and bars. I, personally, don't know if that is true, my kid is only in middle school. ;)

Happened to talk with a college gym coach who came by our gym(he is friends with some of the coaches). He was NOT there to recruit--none of our girls are old enough. He said 1st he would look at a girl who is fairly strong in AA and L10 or as he called it Level 9+. Said to him floor is not a selling point to coaches, vault might get some notice, but just being an outstanding vaulter and a level below on other events, probably will not get a scholarship. The event he said college coaches drool over is bars with beam as a runner up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back