Parents USAG Rules on moving from Xcel to DP Chapter 8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter competed Xcel Bronze last year and is now moving to the DP Level 3. The coach wants her at L3 even though she has every L3 skill and basically most L4 (she even has her Kip). My DD is 10 and she would prefer to be with kids her age and her skill level.
I was reading the rules of USAG and in Chapter 8 it says “if a gymnast competes any other place , including Xcel, they must start at L4 if they move to the DP.”
Do you know if this is a strict rule or more a guidance? I do not want to be that parent pushing the coach but I feel like it is best for the kids to have them at the right skill level. Thanks!

Levels 1-3 are optional, so no minimum score is required to compete at these levels. I believe that this statement means that they are required to score out of level 4 before moving up. They would still be allowed to compete level 3, they just couldn’t start at any level above 4.

Yes… strict… they must start at L4 or below. They would need a mobility score at L4 to move to L5.

Originally, I was agreeing with the other posters that she could start at a level lower than 4. But after reading the rules, I think she has to start at 4 unless there is a way to petition down to 3. I took this directly from the 2021-2022 rules and policies pdf: Athletes whose competitive experience has been in any system (including USA Gymnastics’ Xcel Program) must enter the DP at Level 4.

I found it on the page labeled 81 of this doc. https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/2021/2021_2022_w_rulespolicies.pdf

Originally, I was agreeing with the other posters that she could start at a level lower than 4. But after reading the rules, I think she has to start at 4 unless there is a way to petition down to 3. I took this directly from the 2021-2022 rules and policies pdf: Athletes whose competitive experience has been in any system (including USA Gymnastics’ Xcel Program) must enter the DP at Level 4.

I found it on the page labeled 81 of this doc. https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/2021/2021_2022_w_rulespolicies.pdf

No… this is incorrect. It’s Level 4 or lower.

No… this is incorrect. It’s Level 4 or lower.
I'm just a parent reading the rules so I'm most likely incorrect. The rules are extremely confusing if that's what the rule says but not what it actually means.

I'm just a parent reading the rules so I'm most likely incorrect. The rules are extremely confusing if that's what the rule says but not what it actually means.
I agree it is very confusing. When I read that rule I thought they were imply that they did not want kids competing at a lower level (L3) to have an advantage since they already had competition experience. But I see maybe they are saying they just cannot start higher than L4.
I was reading it this way since I want my daughter in L4.
Thanks for all of your feedback!

It appears that part may be written vaguely.

Levels 1-3 really don’t exist in a competitive sort of way to the national office. These levels are under full control of each state board. States don’t even have to offer competitions at Level 3. This is most likely why it is written as that they must start at Level 4.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that many athletes have gone from Xcel Bronze or Silver into Levels 2 or 3.

The coach wants her at L3 even though she has every L3 skill and basically most L4 (she even has her Kip). My DD is 10 and she would prefer to be with kids her age and her skill level.

As far as this goes... I would recommend asking the coach for a meeting to see exactly what she would need to compete Level 4.

My daughter competed Xcel Bronze last year and is now moving to the DP Level 3. The coach wants her at L3 even though she has every L3 skill and basically most L4 (she even has her Kip). My DD is 10 and she would prefer to be with kids her age and her skill level.
I was reading the rules of USAG and in Chapter 8 it says “if a gymnast competes any other place , including Xcel, they must start at L4 if they move to the DP.”
Do you know if this is a strict rule or more a guidance? I do not want to be that parent pushing the coach but I feel like it is best for the kids to have them at the right skill level. Thanks!
I agree that you should have a meeting with your coach. The coach probably wants her at L3 for better competition results. However, if she feels like she wants to push herself to L4, then talk to the coach about it, and make sure that her feelings are heard. Good luck!

Yes… strict… they must start at L4 or below. They would need a mobility score at L4 to move to L5.
Thank you for your response - the rules do not say that you can go below level 4, it say "Must enter at L4", - here is the exact wording:

B. Athletes whose competitive experience has been in any system (including USA Gymnastics’ Xcel Program) must enter the DP at Level 4.

Thank you for your response - the rules do not say that you can go below level 4, it say "Must enter at L4", - here is the exact wording:

B. Athletes whose competitive experience has been in any system (including USA Gymnastics’ Xcel Program) must enter the DP at Level 4.

I know the exact wording... it's either not correct or has never been followed. As someone who was actually on our state board... it's Level 4 or below in my state and region. An Xcel Bronze can definitely move into Level 3.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 12.22.18 PM.png

If a DP Level 1 or 2 is recommended to enter Bronze or Silver in the same document... then why would a Bronze or Silver be required to enter Level 4 when moving the other direction?

You are reading as a minimum entry requirement when it is in fact a maximum entry requirement. The rule is written to ensure that all xcel transfers can't advance in DP without first proving that they have the skills to pass L4. L4 is the first mandatory level in DP. That is why it is written this way. Every gymnast in DP must pass L4. It cannot be skipped. It is not meant to exclude gymnasts who enter at a lower level.

You are reading as a minimum entry requirement when it is in fact a maximum entry requirement. The rule is written to ensure that all xcel transfers can't advance in DP without first proving that they have the skills to pass L4. L4 is the first mandatory level in DP. That is why it is written this way. Every gymnast in DP must pass L4. It cannot be skipped. It is not meant to exclude gymnasts who enter at a lower level.
Thanks for the explanation! I know the rule about attaining the minimum scores at L4 and L5 before moving up but I did not apply it to this rule. That makes much more sense to me now based on your explanation. It would be helpful if the rules had said "enter the DP at level 4 or lower."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back