WAG USAG suspension for sexual misconduct

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DebraNC

Proud Parent
A coach/owner was suspended this summer by the USAG. The individual and their attorney are stating that this is due to a consensual affair with another coach 13 years ago.

Is that something that would actually trigger a suspension?

I've seen the media stories. The coach and his lawyer are claiming that the consensual affair with another coach was the reason for the suspension. SafeSport has not completed its investigation and there is no comment from that side. SafeSport really does not have the capacity to conduct thorough investigations quickly, so there's no telling how long it will take for this to reach any resolution. A consensual relationship between two coaches of equal standing would not, by my read, violate the SafeSport code. If, however, it were something like a state chair and a junior coach, it might. But I know nothing of the particulars in this case other than what has been reported.

The line of "consensual" is a murky one when it comes to boss/employee relationships. A sexual relationship that invovled a misuse of a power imbalance could violate Safesport, under certain circumstances.

Agreed, but the story here is that the coach with whom the relationship took place was employed by a different gym.

Agreed, but the story here is that the coach with whom the relationship took place was employed by a different gym.

Yes, the owner/coach has said it doesn't relate to anyone involved at his gym. I'm assuming someone would have reported this incident and it seems to be beyond the bounds of credibility that a 13 year old consensual affair would have been reported or a suspension would have resulted from a report.

Ah, in that case I would assume, like you said, that we don't know all the particulars. Perhaps a different violation of consent was accused?

You could likely Google it, based in the information in this thread. It was in the news.

He was on the suspended list for a little while, then he was removed.

I am guessing that safesport and USA Gymnastics did not find reason to keep him in the list after investigating the allegations.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back