WAG USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 14190

Please join us this week in writing letters to USAG in regards to the following. Every Email counts and absolutely will be noticed so this is your chance to make a difference. The 5 week gap next year effects every athlete nationwide. The proposed location effects all the families nationwide who have to pay more to travel to Indianapolis.

Pleas pass on to all your parents and coaches.

ATTENTION
It has been brought to our attention that USA Gymnastics is hosting the JO National Championships in Indianapolis in 2019 and subsequent following years. The new date for Westerns and Nationals will be one week later than this year.

There are multiple concerns with this scenario.

Lets first start with the most important problem which is the date and the five-week gap between Regionals and Nationals. Yes, you read that correct…. five weeks.

It is the opinion of all coaches we’ve spoken to nationwide that a Five-week gap between Regionals and Nationals after a full season is unsafe for the athletes. This will absolutely increase the number of injuries (which is already high with the current 4-week gap) Furthermore, each week that JO Nationals is pushed back is a week into Final Exams, Proms and Graduations. Many Athletes already had to study while at Nationals and return home to start Finals. With the new date for next year, those same athletes will have to train for nationals and take finals during the same week and possibly need to skip one or two days of finals, so they can attend Nationals. If these athletes are not able to balance both final exams and National Championships. This will decimate the senior age groups coming to Nationals.

Why are we making it even harder on our athletes who have worked for years and dedicated their lives to this wonderful sport! For what we ask? Because USA Gymnastics didn’t book the venue in time to get the date they wanted? Will USA Gymnastics even entertain an alternate host or venue? Why not? We ask? Is the safety of our athletes not the top priority or is it USA Gymnastics convenience above all else?

What about the economic impact caused by having nationals in the same region/place year after year? It is well known the price of travel/ flights is most costly from the west coast and Hawaii. So why would USA Gymnastics set a National Championship event in the same location knowing that it’s going to cost some families thousands of dollars more, every year to travel. What about the lost wages for that families who spent the entire day traveling because it takes eight hours to fly there? What about the extra day, hotel, rental car, and food that it takes for the west coast athletes to acclimate to the three to seven-hour time change. Why doesn’t the national office care about the financial ramifications for our athletes and gyms? Is this for USA Gymnastics convenience again?

In every sport the culminating event is moved around the nation. The NBA, NHL, MLB all host the playoffs at each team’s venues. This is done because of the fans and of course having that home field advantage. Even the Super bowl is contested in a different city of our Nation every year. In 2016 the national office claimed to bring in $35 Million. This does qualify us as a premier women’s sport in the United states. JO Nationals should be held in a different region each year. Just as Championships of the USA are held in different parts of the country every year. This will give the opportunity to our fans in many parts of the country to experience our beautiful sport and not give any region the home field advantage. Convenience?

Will USA Gymnastics under the new leadership of Kerry Perry continue to do what’s best for USA Gymnastics and ignore the well being of it’s clients. Most of whom are children. Sure, looks that way.

We are asking all concerned coaches, parents and athletes to voice their displeasure with this decision by the National office. USA Gymnastics continues to say that they want to empower our athletes. Then why are they not doing what’s best for the athlete’s safety, education and the families financial wellbeing. Convenience, again? After so many years of USA Gymnastics doing what’s convenient, and so many children getting hurt. We can No longer be silent! Please help us make them understand we demand what’s best for our athletes.

Please make your voices heard the week of June 25 – 30th!

Kerry Perry

President USA Gymnastics

Annie Heffernon

Junior Olympic Program Director

Krissy Klein

Women's Program Coordinator

Ron Galimore

USAG Chief operating officer

Kim Riley

Director of Athlete and Coaching programs

I didn't post the emails on here because I didn't know if that was allowed. However if you don't have them IM me and I will give them to you. Unless someone thinks it's okay to post them, then go for it. I also did not create this thread to debate this issue, so I won't engage (for once). :)

Our gymnasts have always had to miss prom because its always that weekend. Now our level 10 qualifiers will get to go to prom for once. I don't see the problem in regards to school, because in the south, we get out earlier, so for all these years the southern gymnasts have had to do all the things you mentioned. Now, a different segment of the country will have to learn to deal with that, and it won't affect most because most schools get out in June. I also don't see why training will increase injuries, since they should be training the same as they do all year.

I also like having a central location that you know about ahead of time. It helps with planning, saving money to go, travel time, etc. Lets talk about plane tickets to Minneapolis or California from the southeast. I never could go with my daughter to her far travel meets, because tickets were the cost of a mortgage payment, and some of us gym parents really work hard to just pay the minimums needed. We don't have booster clubs to help with the cost either.

I'm not just being difficult or contrary here, but I just don't understand the outrage about this. There has to be a reason, and maybe they aren't sharing that reason right now. Maybe they have studied this and come to this conclusion, I don't know. I'm just tired of everything in this country being an "outrage." I have the same financial complaints and concerns about missed work now that parents are required to go with their gymnast for travel meets because you can't send them with their coach.

I'm ok with taking a "wait and see" approach to this. I always have with gymnastics, and it has always worked out fine.

Nothing is ever completely fair in gymnastics or life. But the same gymnasts, same clubs, same Regions will now ALWAYS bear a higher cost burden. The clubs and families furthest from Indianapolis will bear a larger cost burden in perpetuity. For a National championship that involves a competition between Regions, this shouldn't be, especially when the alternative of rotating between Regions has worked just fine for a long time.

If choosing a permanent home for Nationals is so necessary, why didn't they also choose a permanent location for weSterns and Easterns? Those comepetitons are the same size.

I sure as hell am not going to take USAG's word and just "trust" them that they have studied this and have a good reason. I do not trust they they always have gymnasts and clubs well being at the forefront of their decision making. They are in self preservation mode right now.

Sorry wanted to correct something I stated above. JO's is about 650 kids, Easterns/Westerns about 450 each. Not same.

In regards to travel costs, I just want to point out that I priced a ticket for next May from LA to Indianapolis and from a locale in the southeast to Indianapolis and the cost was $20 higher for the southeast location...although it was a shorter trip by 10mins. Not to say I think it should be in Indianapolis every year because how boring. Unfortunately, Alaska and Hawaii I fear are always going to have to pay the piper so to speak when coming to Nationals

In regards to travel costs, I just want to point out that I priced a ticket for next May from LA to Indianapolis and from a locale in the southeast to Indianapolis and the cost was $20 higher for the southeast location...although it was a shorter trip by 10mins. Not to say I think it should be in Indianapolis every year because how boring. Unfortunately, Alaska and Hawaii I fear are always going to have to pay the piper so to speak when coming to Nationals
We already checked flight costs from various cities across the country (doesn't matter east or west) and certain airports are hundreds more to fly in and out of. And many airports do not have direct flights. Now to be fair we didn't try and purchase tickets a year in advance which is unrealistic. We picked various dates 3 to 5 weeks ahead. For instance we typed in Tampa, Jacksonville, Atlanta, San diego , Portland, Seattle, NY, LAX, Long beach, San fran, Raleigh , Denver, etc... The cost variance between airports is pretty drastic. Some paying almost double. So hosting a meet in the same location year after year absolutely does financially hurt the same families in certain areas. Okay so no big deal right ? except USAG hides behind the "no one wants to host Nationals" sign.. Well... No one wants to lose money by hosting a meet because USAG is taking all the profits and won't even add 10 dollars onto the entry fees to give an alternate host some money. They can't say, we won't add money to the entry fee because we don't want to financially burden the families then at the same time host Nationals in the same venue which costs the same families literally hundreds and thousands more... That is one of our objections. Hope that makes sense.
I see GAgymom has been dealing with her daughter having finals during nationals this year. I agree, Nationals should be held 3 weeks after regionals. Period. this needs to be a set rule. western/ easterns 2 weeks, or the week after JO's.

One advantage to having it in the Midwest is that possibly more people could consider driving to the meet. I’m not sure what the realistic driving distance is. And I know a couple years ago when it was in Indy, people flew into Chicago (direct) and then drove to Indy and saved a ton of money. Not defending USAG... giving ideas of how to manage it. One thing I would consider if I were Region 1 is complaining about the 8 am sessions... it used to be 2 sessions per day and the sessions weren’t such an early start time.

I’m totally not getting the injury argument. They train year round. They aren’t doing anything new or different from States to Regionals or from Regionals to Nationals.

As far as location Region 6 is headquartered in Mass. Guess where Region 6 Regionals are. Mass no surprise there.

NYS kids not done with school until almost the end of June.

Me I’m thrilled Level 8 States got moved up. We’ll be able to take a couple days off at Easter break.

Regarding flights. We’ve been known to drive to a further airport for things like a better price or direct flight.

There is the flip side to nationals being closer to regionals. 3 weeks will make it tougher to get travel. Flights will be more expensive.. IT is harder to get time off.

I do like 4 weeks. 5 weeks is ok. the 6 weeks last year was WAY.TOO.LONG!

Reactions: sce
I’m totally not getting the injury argument. They train year round. They aren’t doing anything new or different from States to Regionals or from Regionals to Nationals.

As far as location Region 6 is headquartered in Mass. Guess where Region 6 Regionals are. Mass no surprise there.

NYS kids not done with school until almost the end of June.

Me I’m thrilled Level 8 States got moved up. We’ll be able to take a couple days off at Easter break.
You should talk to your coach to explain cycles and keeping a level of performance up during a condensed season in regards to injury

You should talk to your coach to explain cycles and keeping a level of performance up during a condensed season in regards to injury

I will admit..the 6 weeks between regionals and nationals was tough. it was hard to maintain that competitive edge, especially when everyone else was in 'off season' mode. 5 was not as bad, really, but I think 4 would be just perfect.

THIS. if your team trains the same way all year, they are probably doing something wrong... Though there is no real "off season" for gymnastics - the noncompetitive season is dedicated to conditioning, strength, skill acquisitions and very to no impact landings... extra long break between regional and national definitely increases the risk of injuries.

Please join us this week in writing letters to USAG in regards to the following. Every Email counts and absolutely will be noticed so this is your chance to make a difference. The 5 week gap next year effects every athlete nationwide. The proposed location effects all the families nationwide who have to pay more to travel to Indianapolis.

Pleas pass on to all your parents and coaches.

ATTENTION
It has been brought to our attention that USA Gymnastics is hosting the JO National Championships in Indianapolis in 2019 and subsequent following years. The new date for Westerns and Nationals will be one week later than this year.

There are multiple concerns with this scenario.

Lets first start with the most important problem which is the date and the five-week gap between Regionals and Nationals. Yes, you read that correct…. five weeks.

It is the opinion of all coaches we’ve spoken to nationwide that a Five-week gap between Regionals and Nationals after a full season is unsafe for the athletes. This will absolutely increase the number of injuries (which is already high with the current 4-week gap) Furthermore, each week that JO Nationals is pushed back is a week into Final Exams, Proms and Graduations. Many Athletes already had to study while at Nationals and return home to start Finals. With the new date for next year, those same athletes will have to train for nationals and take finals during the same week and possibly need to skip one or two days of finals, so they can attend Nationals. If these athletes are not able to balance both final exams and National Championships. This will decimate the senior age groups coming to Nationals.

Why are we making it even harder on our athletes who have worked for years and dedicated their lives to this wonderful sport! For what we ask? Because USA Gymnastics didn’t book the venue in time to get the date they wanted? Will USA Gymnastics even entertain an alternate host or venue? Why not? We ask? Is the safety of our athletes not the top priority or is it USA Gymnastics convenience above all else?

What about the economic impact caused by having nationals in the same region/place year after year? It is well known the price of travel/ flights is most costly from the west coast and Hawaii. So why would USA Gymnastics set a National Championship event in the same location knowing that it’s going to cost some families thousands of dollars more, every year to travel. What about the lost wages for that families who spent the entire day traveling because it takes eight hours to fly there? What about the extra day, hotel, rental car, and food that it takes for the west coast athletes to acclimate to the three to seven-hour time change. Why doesn’t the national office care about the financial ramifications for our athletes and gyms? Is this for USA Gymnastics convenience again?

In every sport the culminating event is moved around the nation. The NBA, NHL, MLB all host the playoffs at each team’s venues. This is done because of the fans and of course having that home field advantage. Even the Super bowl is contested in a different city of our Nation every year. In 2016 the national office claimed to bring in $35 Million. This does qualify us as a premier women’s sport in the United states. JO Nationals should be held in a different region each year. Just as Championships of the USA are held in different parts of the country every year. This will give the opportunity to our fans in many parts of the country to experience our beautiful sport and not give any region the home field advantage. Convenience?

Will USA Gymnastics under the new leadership of Kerry Perry continue to do what’s best for USA Gymnastics and ignore the well being of it’s clients. Most of whom are children. Sure, looks that way.

We are asking all concerned coaches, parents and athletes to voice their displeasure with this decision by the National office. USA Gymnastics continues to say that they want to empower our athletes. Then why are they not doing what’s best for the athlete’s safety, education and the families financial wellbeing. Convenience, again? After so many years of USA Gymnastics doing what’s convenient, and so many children getting hurt. We can No longer be silent! Please help us make them understand we demand what’s best for our athletes.

Please make your voices heard the week of June 25 – 30th!

Kerry Perry

President USA Gymnastics

Annie Heffernon

Junior Olympic Program Director

Krissy Klein

Women's Program Coordinator

Ron Galimore

USAG Chief operating officer

Kim Riley

Director of Athlete and Coaching programs

I didn't post the emails on here because I didn't know if that was allowed. However if you don't have them IM me and I will give them to you. Unless someone thinks it's okay to post them, then go for it. I also did not create this thread to debate this issue, so I won't engage (for once). :)
home field advantage didn't help region 5 the last two years.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back