Parents Vacation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I took ladybug into gym today to find that over half the gym is on vacation. So my question is...
When is it a "good " time to take vaction and for how long?

Some of theses girls as well as boys have been on 2 or 3 "vacations" not gym camps already this summer. HC is feed up. Did I mention that some phone calls didn't even come in until this morning! I can't really complain about an empty gym because ladybug had an awsome 2 days worth of practice. She got in the car to say she can't wait for tomorrow practice lol. Just a little bit of a brag alert :D She landed her valdez as well as 1 handed valdez on the HB. She had been working the valdez before and it was a hit and miss skill but she was knocking them out like she was on the floor. She also landed her halfs on her feet on the floor lol and was given the okay to start working fulls. She was griining from ear to ear. Now if only she could get those dang on giants lol. That kip fairy still around? I need her sister the giant fairy lol.

Nequia

So I took ladybug into gym today to find that over half the gym is on vacation. So my question is...
When is it a "good " time to take vaction and for how long?
It depends on how serious your gymnast is with the sport. Naturally, the longer she breaks from the gym, the more she has to work to catch up. Also, the higher the level, the more difficult it becomes. I assume yours is a L6/7. Things do become a bit more serious at that stage.

With that said, you have to spend time as a family. That is extremely important IMHO. If you're only going to be away for a week or two, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just have her play a little catch up when she returns.

BTW, our gym is pretty liberal about vac time in the summer, even though the most intensive training is during the summer. They do ask for a headsup from every parent of all team girls.

Every year, HC complains about kids missing summer practices but no one seems to care much. We do not go on vacation until the end of the summer, when gym is closed. However, this year with Labor Day being so late, we booked the "wrong" week so we will be missing gym AND school!!!

We have girils who are away 3-4 weeks and some that go to sleepaway camp ALL SUMMER. I just don't know how they can come back and expect to be prepared for the next level especially for girls competing in the fall, which is the compulsory group...less experienced, fewer skills, and then the parents complain when they don't do well, it is the gym's fault!!

NOt an issue in our gym, the team trains from Sept until May. In the summer girls can choose to train or not. This of course means that some girls don't move ahead in the same way as bigger gym, but it does mean coaches and fmailies get a break from the long haul of driving. In Septemebr the gym is full of rusty, sore gymnasts!

If your gym doesn't set guidelines then parents can, and will, do as they please. Nice bonus for your gymmie though. SOunds like she is having fun with her summer training.

Our family is on a pretty tight budget, so for us, vacation means camping! We usually go a couple of times and plan them for the gym shut downs (our gym has 2 weeks, 1 in July and 1 in August closed) It's easy as we have great lakes on either side of us, within a 90 minute drive. We take my sisters, their kids and my mom, and rough it and play at the beach!

This summer's trip was shorter, due to my treatments, but still fun, and too much a tradition to pass up.

Congrats to your daughter on the skill development! A little extra attention is a wonderful side effect of the vacationing girls!!

Every year, HC complains about kids missing summer practices but no one seems to care much. We do not go on vacation until the end of the summer, when gym is closed. However, this year with Labor Day being so late, we booked the "wrong" week so we will be missing gym AND school!!!

We have girils who are away 3-4 weeks and some that go to sleepaway camp ALL SUMMER. I just don't know how they can come back and expect to be prepared for the next level especially for girls competing in the fall, which is the compulsory group...less experienced, fewer skills, and then the parents complain when they don't do well, it is the gym's fault!!

Sounds like our gym to the T. I cant even get a whole week of in the summer let alone 2-3 wks.My dd is one of the few that does not really miss in summer ,but this year she went away for 2 1/2 wks to stay with her grandparents and visit alot of relatives.Had to play catch up when she returned of course those two weeks they had learned there routines.If she wants to go visit next year I think she will go the first of summer instead the middle of summer.The team has 1wk off in the summer which is this week has been a nice break.

Daughter has missed about a week and 1/2 of time but I let them know a head of times. She has about 10 days off from gym at the end of summer before she starts school but some kids have to go back to school after gym camp closes for the summer and those kids started gym the first week they got out of school so I can not see them getting upset about them missing a week or 2 for vacation. They have to go during the summer or else they can not remain on the team but I think if they miss here or there it is not a big deal. It has never happened to us but they say if the gymnast misses to much or falls behind they may need to take private lessons. Luckily my daughter has all her level 5 skills so I am sure she will be fine. I usually only let my daughter miss if we are vacation because it costs so much I do not want her to miss to much.

Lots of girls seemed to take vacations this summer. We aren't in the position financially to take vacations, but if we were, we would take it whenever we could. As long as it wasn't smack dab in the middle of meet season. Gym is for fun, so the coaches would have to deal.

Congrats to your DD on all those awesome skills!! Hope the giant fairy visits her soon! My daughter enjoyed having smaller training groups this summer when girls were out and at camp, too.

Seems like girls miss a week or so here and there through out the summer, but only one is gone for the entire summer (trip back home to cambodia). The HC really just want to know when someone is going to be gone--and as a general complaint--if HC has a problem with it, can they PLEASE talk to the people at fault and not make a general complaint to the entire gym?? Drives me crazy when people do that!

Our gym is very liberal on vacations. I think they feel vacations are healthy.
They also know that the kids who miss a lot, will not move up as quickly.

Usually the kids who are really into gymnastics know not to take more than a week....HC always tells em that a week off from gym is like a month....a month off is like a year...

HC also knows which are the kids always there and moving up quickly and are serious vs. kids that take the whole summer off.

HC also MUST take at least two weeks off....parents welcome it...we all can tell when coach is overworked and cranky!!LOL.

Vacations are necessary.....Kids, Coaches & PARENTS need vacations.........It's up to the parents to see how they should be worked in and how much time should be taken....

Last edited:
HC always tells em that a week off from gym is like a month....a month off is like a year...
That's a bit exaggerated. It all depends on the level and the individual kid. Downtime of a few days at L4/5 is easy for most kids to make up, especially if she is active or conditions somewhat while on vacation.

Nonetheless, do expect some catching up if you're gone for a week or more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back