WAG Vacation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello! My family is taking a vacation, but I have a meet the following week. I don't feel prepared at all, since I have had numerous injury's recently that have kept me from being at practice. Is there anything y'all recommend to do during vacation to keep mentally prepared and keep my routines sharp? Any advice would be appreciated.

Is your gym going to let you compete at the meet if you miss practice in the week leading up to it? You may not need to worry about what to do while away. We always took a vacation but in the summer and not in the middle of meet season .

Is your gym going to let you compete at the meet if you miss practice in the week leading up to it? You may not need to worry about what to do while away. We always took a vacation but in the summer and not in the middle of meet season .
I'm the only one who is competing, long story I have to do this meet before I level up because of a gym preference, and this is my only meet option.

Oh no, I sent before I meant to. I am skipping level 8, and going to level 9 but I have to do a level 8 score-out meet, and my gym prefers I score out this year so I can focus on my level 9 routines this summer. Then I have one week of practice before the meet :).

I would say don't worry about it. If you have an abs routine that you do everyday in the gym, you might do it during your vacation to stay somewhat in shape but otherwise, just enjoy your vacation.
You probably won't have a great meet but if you have your skills now, it should be fine, at least if your one goal is scoring out.
Just be careful not to over-train when you're back, because you don't want to tire yourself out before the meet.

You don’t need to score high on a score out meet. Most gymnasts score the minimum requirement to move up levels. First speak with your coach to discuss your readiness. He/she might be able to put your mind at ease.

While on vacation, do some handstands, core work and some stretching. Stay active, walk, swim. You can also do some mental choreography. Go through your routines in your head and envision perfecting them. Go through each routine skill by skill talking yourself into what goes with skill (i.e., straight legs, point toes, hollow, tight abs, see the beam, breathe, every little minute detail). If you have 1 or 2 lb hand weights, put them on and do just the arm movements of your vault, beam and floor routines.

I’m only recommending the above because you feel you are not ready and you are at a higher level. Typically, I’d say, forget gym and enjoy your vacation.

Hello! My family is taking a vacation, but I have a meet the following week. I don't feel prepared at all, since I have had numerous injury's recently that have kept me from being at practice. Is there anything y'all recommend to do during vacation to keep mentally prepared and keep my routines sharp? Any advice would be appreciated.
Just stretch a little do a little workout and practice simple things like handstands and cartwheels don't try anything without proper equipment tho.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back