Parents Vacations?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tomtnt

Proud Parent
Parents of level 10 gymnasts:

Are you still able to take longish summer vacations with your gymmie? We've been pretty good with taking 1-2 wk vacations since the beginning of gym but now my DD is worried about losing skills while away. I tell her girls come back from longer breaks due to injuries and are able to get their skills back. Want her to be able to enjoy vacation and a break from gym.

For us 1 week might be ok, 2 would be too much. We also try to time them with scheduled gym breaks or right after the end of season because then the gym is cycling all the girls accordingly. Strength and conditioning seems more at risk than skills, but summer is really hard because they are working on new skills and then leaving can destroy all that progress on the new skill. The established skills come back quickly but those skills they are just learning can disappear pretty quickly. Yes, they will come back, but generally unless the gym is closed we try to keep it a long weekend.

Another option would be to look for a gym in the area you are vacationing that she can train at a couple of times while you are away. DD did this last summer and she really enjoyed it!

Recommendations by all the major sports medicine organizations are for a MINIMUM of 4 weeks a year in 1 week or longer increments. Without that long of a chunk, the risk of overuse injury skyrockets and your gymnast winds up missing more time due to injury. That doesn't mean she should do nothing...but hiking, swimming, surfing, dancing, etc are all excellent ways to keep moving and prevent "getting out of shape." We implemented a 2-week break for our whole gym at the end of last season...drastic reduction in injury and more regional qualifiers (and hopefully nationals too). Gymnastics is still far behind in the current research with regards To injury prevention. More knowledge for parents and coaches = safer and healthier gymnasts. Even the other "early specialization" sports like swimming, figure skating, etc
are encouraging better and more useful rest in their athletes. TAKE THE VACATION and have her find a fun new activity to try along the way. She will come back missing the gym and energized to work hard, but also physically in a healthier situation.

Parents of level 10 gymnasts:

Are you still able to take longish summer vacations with your gymmie? We've been pretty good with taking 1-2 wk vacations since the beginning of gym but now my DD is worried about losing skills while away. I tell her girls come back from longer breaks due to injuries and are able to get their skills back. Want her to be able to enjoy vacation and a break from gym.

We always took a 2 week vacation every summer....and never set foot in another gym when on vacation....and no skills were ever lost. Vacations from gym are needed for mind and body, for both the gymnast and the parents:p

Our entire gym breaks for the first two weeks of July right after school gets out. When they come back conditioning and new skill development is the focus. They do get conditioning sheets to work on during the break.

This is such a good point and probably why there are so many overuse injuries in gymnastics. but I wonder if there are any level 10 or elite coaches who would go for this

Recommendations by all the major sports medicine organizations are for a MINIMUM of 4 weeks a year in 1 week or longer increments. Without that long of a chunk, the risk of overuse injury skyrockets and your gymnast winds up missing more time due to injury. That doesn't mean she should do nothing...but hiking, swimming, surfing, dancing, etc are all excellent ways to keep moving and prevent "getting out of shape." We implemented a 2-week break for our whole gym at the end of last season...drastic reduction in injury and more regional qualifiers (and hopefully nationals too). Gymnastics is still far behind in the current research with regards To injury prevention. More knowledge for parents and coaches = safer and healthier gymnasts. Even the other "early specialization" sports like swimming, figure skating, etc
are encouraging better and more useful rest in their athletes. TAKE THE VACATION and have her find a fun new activity to try along the way. She will come back missing the gym and energized to work hard, but also physically in a healthier situation.

We always took a 2 week vacation every summer....and never set foot in another gym when on vacation....and no skills were ever lost. Vacations from gym are needed for mind and body, for both the gymnast and the parents:p
Mine is not a L10 but this is my philosphy and I don't ever see it changing.

I am a coach of optional level gymnasts...take the vacation. You only have a short time with your children and vacations are an important time for families to make lasting memories.

Disclaimer...this has become much clearer to me since having my own children!

This is such a good point and probably why there are so many overuse injuries in gymnastics. but I wonder if there are any level 10 or elite coaches who would go for this

Our gym does have a pretty big level 10 team, but no current elites (they have a handful planning to test elite however).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back