Vaccine anyone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18037
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When a vaccine is available will you and your family get it?

• I will but not my children

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will not but my children will

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am pro vaccine, but I am also pro thorough, unrushed research, and cases like the one linked above (which wasn’t even particularly rushed) illustrate how a vaccine can seem fine but not be. We also had a flu vaccine in Australia about a decade ago that turned out to not be particularly suitable for children - something discovered only after it was rolled out to the public in Australia (the US subsequently recommended against it for children under five for their following flu season).

So for me it will depend how long the vaccine takes to be offered to us, and what form the vaccine takes. I would be more comfortable, for example, going in early with an inactivated partial virus vaccine than with a replicating viral vaccine that has had both a rushed development process and a rushed manufacture timeline.

But as my family currently sits in a low risk profile, in a country with currently low virus numbers, I imagine any vaccine that becomes available will be rolled out in other parts of the world, and then here to high risk folk first. I probably won’t have any choice but to sit back and see how it works in a large population, before I have to choose for my family. In all honesty, we will probably just say ‘jab us’ and hope for the best!

We have always felt really privileged to have access to a free vaccination program for most of the nasty things in circulation. It is sobering to ponder how the worry we feel about covid was once just a background to everyday life, and that it wasn’t just one dangerous illness that was an everyday reality, but many.

If the vaccine has gone through the normal testing process, yes. If it has been rushed through, no, not right away.

My answer would be different if Covid mutated to become significantly more dangerous, or if we had high risk people in our family.

However, when we had a mumps outbreak a few years ago, people either had to show proof of vaccination or they were out of the dorms.
So not required. Of course choosing not to has a consequence. Finding somewhere else to live.

Theoretically, yes.
But in practicality, it seems we never seem to get around to doing the flu shot - and by the time we do it's usually already real late in the season. We have to make a conscious effort to remember to do it or it won't happen. Especially the husband.

My 3 will be in college or military by the time is rolls out and I'm sure it will be required for them to continue where ever they are, if in fact they haven't contacted it by then and there are no long term antibodies, though if there are exemptions, they likely will use them given the extensive history of autoimmune issues in our family. I am not sure about me as I have an autoimmune disease which places me both at higher risk of complications from the virus and from vaccines. Given that I am in a low virus rural area, I likely will wait to see how certain populations respond to the vaccine first.

Regardless, they need to research the antibodies more to determine whether there is long term protection from the virus. If there is, a vaccine 18 months out is less likely to be needed/completed.

I likely will not get the vaccine even if recommended by my doctor or “experts” or not until there is substantial proof that it is vitally important and necessary for my wellbeing. I’ve never had the flu shot either and I am not young!

I’ve never had the flu shot either and I am not young!

I started demanding the flu vaccine after I had the flu twice in one quarter during college (presumably different strains, but they didn't do rapid in-office flu tests back then). That was before the flu vaccine was routinely offered to young people as it is now.

I am a little skeptical about how thoroughly the vaccine can really be tested on an accelerated timeline. See, e.g., the dengue vaccine fiasco:

So true. Inadequately studied vaccines can become really scary really fast.
At the same time, safe and effective vaccines can be global game-changers.

It is critically important to learn from the failures.
One recent example in the US involves the anthrax vaccine. This was a politically charged, rushed implementation of a vaccine that was not ready to go. If we don't want history to repeat itself, the bullet-points in the conclusions section of this 2002 paper elucidate some of the contributing factors:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1447151/#:~:text=The%20anthrax%20vaccine%20was%20never,vaccine's%20production%20has%20been%20substandard.

In the background however, vaccines have been the single biggest success story of modern medicine due to both the sheer number of lives saved and the immense improvement in quality of life for people: smallpox, polio, measles, diphtheria and tetanus - to name just a few.

A methodical, disciplined approach to the development and rollout of a safe and effective vaccine is what is required for it to gain my trust.

The situation is getting very real here...our children's hospital is admitting adults now on all their campuses, and hospitals are filling. I know some non-covid patients are being diverted to other cities so that our hospitals can still claim they have room. A respiratory therapist friend says the situation is getting pretty crazy in the medical center.

The numbers (of tested/admitted/ICU) are skyrocketing and I hope we don't end up with a NYC situation here, but I think it's coming.

The situation is getting very real here...our children's hospital is admitting adults now on all their campuses, and hospitals are filling. I know some non-covid patients are being diverted to other cities so that our hospitals can still claim they have room. A respiratory therapist friend says the situation is getting pretty crazy in the medical center.

The numbers (of tested/admitted/ICU) are skyrocketing and I hope we don't end up with a NYC situation here, but I think it's coming.
Here in NY we didn’t have the lead time Places now have.

Slowing the spread and containment is at relatively simple. Masks, hand sanitizing limit crowds.

That people don’t get it boggles my mind, especially the mask thing. A small price to pay to be able to move about and keep the spread low.

I was slow to the mask thing. Listen to the experts, think about close contact in a hospital enviroment.

Then logic prevailed. Slow/limit spread. For years we see.... Wash hands, cover coughs and sneeze.. It’s not new. Hmmmm cover, gee masks.
we now have them in various styles, colors and representative of our personalities.

Yeah...Texas is special and thinks no one gets to tell us what to do. :rolleyes: Our judge put out a mask order and the police said they would refuse to enforce it, and then the governer said the judge wasn't allowed to tell people they had to do anything. So we almost fully reopened and *maybe* 1/3 of people were wearing masks, and most of those were wearing them incorrectly. Massive memorial day parties, then the protests too. Churches are open and singing. People are eating out in restaurants almost as a point of defiance and bars are crowded.

The part that makes me the most angry is that I am already starting to hear here and there that hospitals are running out of the good PPE and having to use makeshift or second rate things again. I find that completely inexcusable. If you're going to open the entire freaking state, you better have mountains of PPE in storage for our medical people. :mad:

So the judge was finally allowed to tell BUSINESSES that they couldn't allow people in without a mask, so we are seeing more masks, as of yesterday, but still not everyone and still often not correctly. I fear the cat is out of the bag already. We don't have a curve at the moment - the line on the chart is vertical.

Churches are open and singing.

This is one of the very riskiest things for people to be doing right now. I sing in a choir. Our weekly rehearsals have been replaced by Zoom check-ins where our choir director summarizes all the webinars he’s attended in the past week about the hazards of singing during a pandemic. Last week’s discussion was all about how singing in a mask shoots the droplets out the sides of the mask onto the people behind you. We are now recording virtual choir videos, and it is unlikely that we will sing together again in person until there is a vaccine. Our technophobic director has had to become an overnight expert on video production, with a minor in fluid dynamics.

I'll wait until the vaccine is released to make a decision. We get all the others though... so there is no reason to think that my family will not get it.

Watch and read about Djokovic tournament. And again I’m a let’s get things going person, key word safely.... photos of him with a bunch of fans no masks. Film of everyone partying at night again no mask. Completely irresponsible no wonder they are Covid positive.

They could of had the matches, safely. They elected not to.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back