Parents Validate me, please! (illness and meets)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'd say what happens tomorrow should be a significant weight in your decision. If he goes to practice and makes it through, the balance tips in favor of competing. If not, then I'd lean against. Recovery from flu is quite variable, but I do think that on average, kids tend to get over it quicker than adults. But if he's still feeling enervated, better to skip this one.

Assuming the current trend continues, I can send him to practice tomorrow and see how he does. He's now been fever free for about 18 hours and I'm having problems keeping him chill. He's honestly doing better than when he just has allergies going on. So, if the trend continues, he'll go to gym tomorrow and I guess that will be my final call. (If he can't do it tomorrow, then I'm scratching him for sure. If he can, we'll see how he's doing - if he's just barely making it through, or if he's just like normal.) He'll also presumably go to school tomorrow, and that might take all the available energy, too. So, I'm not longer thinking there's no way he'll go - but I'll still be conservative and won't put either him or someone else at risk.

Isn't this whole gymnastics deal a big marathon...not a sprint? Is missing one meet going to make a huge difference? You don't get a medal for being a martyr. I feel like sometimes people (parents often) in this sport get some satisfaction or feel as if it defines them and their kid if they push through an illness/injury/etc. (A giddy mom letting me know at one of our first meets how her kid competed with a fractured foot against the advice of both the coach AND the trainer...like she was GIDDY! I was a little :eek:...she said oh HECK no! We ARE competing....oooookidokie mama...sorry, I digress).
I realize there are some times to push, but erring on the side of getting some strength back, in my opinion, is always going to be a good idea.
And the flu this season is no joke...the body is weakened even if a kid "feels" fine. Secondary infections sometimes rear their ugly head. So...count me in as one who will validate you! :)

So, update - I guess between the shot and getting the Tamiflu in his system only about 9 hours after symptoms started really did the trick. He was fever free less than 24 hours after his 103.2 fever...I kept him home the next day also to play it safe and he was so crazy, lol. Went to school Thursday and seemed fine, so took him to gym and stuck around to make sure he was OK. He made it through all 4 hours there just fine. School today, and lots of energy afterwards. So, we are going to let him compete (barring any setbacks). He probably won't be totally on top of his game because of missed practices, but I'm no longer fearing it won't be safe. (Well, no more than usual! ;)) I think since he was only truly ill for such a short period and he's in such good shape that he just got really, really lucky.

If I was facing the same situation again, though, I would still expect for him not to compete. I count this as a total fluke and luck.

So, update - I guess between the shot and getting the Tamiflu in his system only about 9 hours after symptoms started really did the trick. He was fever free less than 24 hours after his 103.2 fever...I kept him home the next day also to play it safe and he was so crazy, lol. Went to school Thursday and seemed fine, so took him to gym and stuck around to make sure he was OK. He made it through all 4 hours there just fine. School today, and lots of energy afterwards. So, we are going to let him compete (barring any setbacks). He probably won't be totally on top of his game because of missed practices, but I'm no longer fearing it won't be safe. (Well, no more than usual! ;)) I think since he was only truly ill for such a short period and he's in such good shape that he just got really, really lucky.

If I was facing the same situation again, though, I would still expect for him not to compete. I count this as a total fluke and luck.
Glad he recovered so quickly, I hope he has a fabulous meet this weekend.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back