Vault finals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Maybe dumb question, but is there really such a difference (from the 'knees saving' point of view) between Amanar and TTY? Not that I want to doubt Simone's coach. Just curious.
Every extra 1/2 twist is more risk of landing while still twisting... Which can damage knees and ankles. I know a girl that basically had a career ending injury while training twisting skills. Was still twisting on landing. Took a 2nd ortho to finally tell her she needed surgery (after missing 4 months already). She tried to come back twice (a year after the injury and then again 9 months later), but was not the same. She has moved on to bodybuilding.

Every extra 1/2 twist is more risk of landing while still twisting... Which can damage knees and ankles. I know a girl that basically had a career ending injury while training twisting skills. Was still twisting on landing. Took a 2nd ortho to finally tell her she needed surgery (after missing 4 months already). She tried to come back twice (a year after the injury and then again 9 months later), but was not the same. She has moved on to bodybuilding.

I understand that every 'next level' skill involves more risk of injury than the 'previous level' one, but for Simone, with her perfect Amanar, TTY would seem to be natural next challenge. I understand they probably focused on perfection of Cheng for Rio.

Whereas I believe that they (Simone and her coach) wouldn't even think about Produnova. I am sure Simone would be able to master it like no one even did, but the risk involved isn't worth it.

It cut me off before I could edit.
I would like to add, I do understand why they didn't tried to work on TTY during the year leading to Olympics.
And I also understand that Simone probably retires after Olympics (sight), so no more gymnastics challenges for her.

It's just that talking about 'valuing her knees' sounds (at least to me) like TTY has much harder impact (and thus much more long-term damage to knees etc) than Amanar.

I would like to add, I do understand why they didn't tried to work on TTY during the year leading to Olympics.
And I also understand that Simone probably retires after Olympics (sight), so no more gymnastics challenges for her.

It's just that talking about 'valuing her knees' sounds (at least to me) like TTY has much harder impact (and thus much more long-term damage to knees etc) than Amanar.
From what I had heard before, originally Simone was planning to have the TTY for Rio, but never got it to hard surface because of injury concerns. I can't remember where I saw it though. I will have to see if I can find it.

Maybe dumb question, but is there really such a difference (from the 'knees saving' point of view) between Amanar and TTY? Not that I want to doubt Simone's coach. Just curious.
The short answer is "yes."

yes, huge difference when you add

greater likelihood of landing while still twisting and just blowing your knee ligaments.

There's video evidence that both Kohei and Simone have done totally insane stuff in the gym into pits or onto mats. They never worked these things into competition shape because they didn't have to. They have both been clean enough to win with what they've got. I am sure that not competing right up the edge of their capacity is part of the reason that both have been simultaneously so successful and so relatively uninjured.

Sigh. Thinking about the upcoming closing ceremonies and this having been the last time seeing both of these remarkable athletes compete AA is hard! But doing what each has done and walking out on top -- I don't know if we'll ever see this again from any one person, much less two.

I do think Aly, MyKayla, Ashton and Gabby are through with elite gym.

Reactions: sce
I agree.
I'm not convinced Simone is done. She'll take a break but I would not be surprised to see her in Tokyo.
yes. that's hard to predict. I doubt even she or Aimee know. We'll see. Aly is done for sure. In a good way. She is leaving the sport having met all of her goals and having exceeded all expectations. I hope she goes to college now and goes on to have a wonderful life.

I don't know about Ashton...she's not doing NCAA and I read somewhere that she had limited herself to bars and beam to "save her body so she could go for Tokyo"....I do think Gabby is definitely done asshe has many endeavors outside of gym to pursue with and without her family . I think Skinner may have thoughts on Tokyo where she was I the mix for Rio but her social media screw ups may prompt her to just soldier on with NCAA. ...and Aly, well I think she's done with elite but she could surprise you down the road by sticking around and seeing how it goes, and that wouldn't surprise me either..

I don't know about Ashton...she's not doing NCAA and I read somewhere that she had limited herself to bars and beam to "save her body so she could go for Tokyo"....I do think Gabby is definitely done asshe has many endeavors outside of gym to pursue with and without her family .
Not so sure what Gabby's options will be after this Olympics. I doubt there will be much in the way of commercial endorsements or other opportunities. She is very much last Quad's girl and is so outshone by Simone as an AA champ and Aly as a return Olympian that I think her ride is coming to a fast end.

I guess what I meant is that I don't see Gaby continuing on with elite gymnastics...and I figured that that would probably be due to the endorsements and the like that she already had in place before Rio...I think she would still post Rio have things like the Kellogg tour and cereal box type things but I agree, Simone and Aly will be riding the wave out of Rio as this quads girls...

I guess what I meant is that I don't see Gaby continuing on with elite gymnastics...and I figured that that would probably be due to the endorsements and the like that she already had in place before Rio...I think she would still post Rio have things like the Kellogg tour and cereal box type things but I agree, Simone and Aly will be riding the wave out of Rio as this quads girls...
I think some of the negative publicity re: gabby at this Olympics will have a very bad impact on her commercial opportunities, which would have been limited in any event because of her limited role in Rio. I just think its pretty much over for her after kellogs.

I think Gabby, if she wants it, will be in the spotlight and be able to largely support herself with those opportunities for some time to come. Like Shawn Johnson, Nastia and others who have become celebrity athletes. Though Gabby wasn't the 'star', gymnastically, of the final five, Gabby still has lots of fans world-wide, and well-deserved. I think her comeback despite knowing she wasn't realistically in the Repeat Gold AA race makes me love her more. That is a tough mindset- to know people less familiar with gymnastics may be disappointed that you didn't repeat Gold, to have just 'one job' (basically) to do bars for the team, let the newcomers have the spotlight you once had, and still step up and do your job and do it like a boss. So proud and happy for her.

She may be done with elite-level comps, but life in tours, appearances, endorsements, maybe announcing (if it fits her), shows like Dancing with the Stars perhaps...are likely still open to her. Even if she ultimately decides the celebrity scene spotlight isn't a fit for her more reserved personality, I hope she continues to be a part of the gymnastics-appearance scene and inspiring little girls and boys with all she has accomplished.

That said, I have avoided watching her family's 'reality show' so far - I do hope the editing of that show doesn't paint her or her family too poorly and ultimately hurt her in the name of quick ratings. 'Reality shows' scare me that way. I have a 'honey-boo-boo' knee jerk reaction to the genre... [shudder].

Nastia and Shawn have marketable personalities. Thats the difference.

There's truth to that, meaning those fun, outgoing personalities do 'sell' more naturally, for sure, but I don't think Gabby is completely un-marketable either. She is still an Olympic AA Gold Medalist, and repeat Team Gold medalist. If she chooses to play the endorsement and appearance game, I do think she could continue to have a good run and be in the public eye a long time. I don't think she is as 'ruined' as her tougher critics imagine. Lots of little girls and boys adore her. Ultimately it might not be a fit and might cause her more stress to keep up with 'marketability' of celebrity-hood. I hope she does whatever brings her happiness.

ETA: realized off topic. Won't reply again on marketing topics here since this is vault final thread. Go Vaulters!!! :D:D:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back