Vault handspring VIDEO !!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mado4

Coach
Proud Parent
Okay…one of my girls has a pretty good handspring on vault..but she can just not stick it. She has to make a pretty big step which leads in my country to a deduction of at least 0.5 ...

Any idea how to get her to stick it ? Usually her first flying phase is better but this video gives an idea about what I am talking about ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZjCl91-k9M&feature=youtu.be

That vault looks pretty good, with potential to work a handspring front, but that's not going to help her stick the handspring vault. The best tip I can give you is to have her keep her chin tucked in as she comes to the board, and leave it tucked in during the pre-flight. This should give her a slightly lower pre-flight that moves more directly to the table, which would allow her to push off with her body at a lower angle.

The push-off can be adjusted to slow down her rotation by hollowing during the push as if she were snapping down from a back handspring. That wouldn't work for a handspring front, but will allow her to work on sticking her handspring vault, and it would also place her in a good position for handspring fulls. I don't really like the idea of slowing down her leg speed as it could form a habit that's hard to break when it comes time to train handspring front, if thats a future goal.

One other way to go about sticking the handspring is to train her to come on to the table with a lower angle, but instead of teaching her to slow down her feet, have her start closer up on the runway, reduce her run by two or four steps, and just work the skill with less energy by handicapping her run speed. This would have the additional benifit of making her work her run for all it can be, and when it comes time to advance to a salto vault the steps can be added back to her run for additional power.

I've had pretty dood luck with this method. It works so well that I have my beginning and intermediate team kids start their vault practices with a three step run that ends in a rebound to a stand on the table, followed by five step runs that end in a modified handspring. The rest of the practice includes handsprings from a seven step run, as well as handsprings, handspring fulls and tsuk timers from a nine step run. They only go beyond nine steps when it's time to transition to competition vaulting, or to turn a salto vault.:eek: :confused: :D

Holy cow, that's one big vault! I have 2 questions though...1.Do you not use runways up to the vault in germany? and 2.The vault table looks shorter than it is here...hmmm.

Tell her to hollow when she's coming off the table. This has happened with a bunch of the girls in my gym, including me, and my coach just says "hollow coming off" and it's fixed almost immediately.

Holy cow, that's one big vault! I have 2 questions though...1.Do you not use runways up to the vault in germany? and 2.The vault table looks shorter than it is here...hmmm.

1. regular gyms don't have a runway…the gymnastics gyms you have in the states are here the special gyms for future olympians :)

2. the vault table is at its highest….125 cm the hight olympians jump...

:)

Tell her to hollow when she's coming off the table. This has happened with a bunch of the girls in my gym, including me, and my coach just says "hollow coming off" and it's fixed almost immediately.

Well I was thinking about doing the hollowing stuff but I met once the coach of a world class gymnast and he always said not to let the kids hollow in their handspring..the hollow would take away the hight…When I tried it with my kids their vault improved a lot but now they have their problems with the sticking...

I looked at their arms again…like it was said before she brings her arms to the front and not to the side…this could cause the forward rotation right ???

That vault looks pretty good, with potential to work a handspring front, but that's not going to help her stick the handspring vault. The best tip I can give you is to have her keep her chin tucked in as she comes to the board, and leave it tucked in during the pre-flight. This should give her a slightly lower pre-flight that moves more directly to the table, which would allow her to push off with her body at a lower angle.

The push-off can be adjusted to slow down her rotation by hollowing during the push as if she were snapping down from a back handspring. That wouldn't work for a handspring front, but will allow her to work on sticking her handspring vault, and it would also place her in a good position for handspring fulls. I don't really like the idea of slowing down her leg speed as it could form a habit that's hard to break when it comes time to train handspring front, if thats a future goal.

One other way to go about sticking the handspring is to train her to come on to the table with a lower angle, but instead of teaching her to slow down her feet, have her start closer up on the runway, reduce her run by two or four steps, and just work the skill with less energy by handicapping her run speed. This would have the additional benifit of making her work her run for all it can be, and when it comes time to advance to a salto vault the steps can be added back to her run for additional power.

I've had pretty dood luck with this method. It works so well that I have my beginning and intermediate team kids start their vault practices with a three step run that ends in a rebound to a stand on the table, followed by five step runs that end in a modified handspring. The rest of the practice includes handsprings from a seven step run, as well as handsprings, handspring fulls and tsuk timers from a nine step run. They only go beyond nine steps when it's time to transition to competition vaulting, or to turn a salto vault.:eek: :confused: :D

no, no, no in bold. no time for a dissertation here. best way to practice 'sticking' is to do front tucks off the table or the end of a balance beam. spotting with the eyes on a horizontal plane. or place something on the wall for them to spot in their field of vision.:)

Mado4. Just a note. In future it is best to post video you need technique help on in the coaches forum, as you will get lpts of help from gymnasts and parents too!

Only Dunno and Iwannacoach are coaches in this thread. Hope that helps.

1. regular gyms don't have a runway…the gymnastics gyms you have in the states are here the special gyms for future olympians :)

2. the vault table is at its highest….125 cm the hight olympians jump...

:)
I wasnt talking about the height, that looks normal. I was commenting on the length of the table. Maybe im just crazy, who knows!

no, no, no in bold. no time for a dissertation here. best way to practice 'sticking' is to do front tucks off the table or the end of a balance beam. spotting with the eyes on a horizontal plane. or place something on the wall for them to spot in their field of vision.:)

We already do that : they can stick a front tuck from the beam and from the table without any problems.
But on the handspring vault they have still too much forward momentum …should they move their arms earlier to the side ?

And what vault jump would you introduce next ? what do you prefer ??

well, tell her to look back at the table just a bit longer before she spots the end of the landing mat. and maybe 'press' the arms sideways just a bit also.

the next sequential vault in line would be a handspring full.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back