Parents Vault Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ty’s Dad

Proud Parent
Don’t know if I’m in the right place to post this, but what are the judges looking for with the level 7 vault? My daughters coaches say it’s the run and punch, but my daughter is so small she’s not/can’t punch hard. Is everyone getting low 9’s high 8’s on the vault?

It’s a new vault that are still figuring it out. And they only do for a season (theory). Long term scores don’t matter.

And if the best vaulter gets the top score it doesn’t matter if the top score is 9.7, 9.2 or 8.8

It’s a new vault that are still figuring it out. And they only do for a season (theory). Long term scores don’t matter.

And if the best vaulter gets the top score it doesn’t matter if the top score is 9.7, 9.2 or 8.8
It actually does matter because my daughter set goals for 38AA at every meet

Reactions: sce
The run is not judged in L7. I found this link to be helpful in explaining the new vault timers.
https://gymblogcentral.com/new-level-6-7-vault-judges-eye/
And I’d encourage your daughter to set goals unrelated to scores. She has no control over them. She does have control over sticking a skill, or staying tight on an event etc.
Being small doesn’t mean you can’t vault well. Simone Biles is smaller than my 13 year old and is a very good vaulter.

Your daughter seems quite talented with lots of potential from your other posts. IF you want your daughter to last in this crazy up and down sport, please help her to adjust her goals. A 38AA at EVERY meet? That allows no room for error and at some meets based on judges may not even be possible no matter how perfectly your daughter competes. Your daughter has a lot of years to go in this sport, and the skills and risks will get harder as she goes up in levels. It would be really good to help her adjust goals now- to things that are in her control before she gets to upper optionals. My fear is that a goal like hers right now has the potential to reinforce in her mind that she isn't good enough. One day your daughter will be done with this sport and all she will be left with is the memories and lessons learned. Do you want her to look back and remember all the times she wasn't good enough or be proud of what she did accomplish?

Angle of repulsion, block, direction of momentum, dynamics. Vault scoring will be hard to figure out this year with the timers. Even some judges are still adjusting.

Agreed on the score goal. If your DD sticks with this sport, she will reach the point where she fails at skills and falls at meets. Learning how to fail and leave a bad event behind is absolutely necessary for long-term success. Encourage her to do routines that satisfy herself, and to leave whatever happens, good or bad, behind her when she rotates to the next one. Doing the best routine that is within your potential to do is far more important than the score the routine gets.

She might need to adjust that goal. Scoring is not a great goal, as it really is out of their hands. As for the vault, it is a timer for a flipping vault so they are looking at body position in and off the table and repulsion off the table.

Angle of repulsion, block, direction of momentum, dynamics. Vault scoring will be hard to figure out this year with the timers. Even some judges are still adjusting.

Agreed on the score goal. If your DD sticks with this sport, she will reach the point where she fails at skills and falls at meets. Learning how to fail and leave a bad event behind is absolutely necessary for long-term success. Encourage her to do routines that satisfy herself, and to leave whatever happens, good or bad, behind her when she rotates to the next one. Doing the best routine that is within your potential to do is far more important than the score the routine gets.[/QUOTE

As sce and profmom say..... Scores are not a good goal to have. Especially as the skills get harder and the scoring gets harder. What the exact score is changes meet to meet, judge to judge.

Yes the scoring gets harder. A leap at 120 gets credit in L4, 150 in L5 (please don’t correct me if my specifics are off, you all get the idea).

At L7/8 and higher it takes 180 to get credit.

The gymnast has no control over what the judge will do. They can only control what they do.

Longevity in this sport comes from what happens in between the scores.

Goals should be about improving what they do. Better form. Improving strength, skills. I want my turns to be steadier. I want a higher amplitude in my layout. More speed on my run. A better block.

And if your daughter goals involve higher level gymnastics. Really the score of this vault doesn’t matter. It’s about the intent of the vault that matters. That’s the tsuk or yurchenko. That they will be flipping much longer then the timer. Her focus should be on doing it, not the score.

Speaking from personal experience. A couple years ago I embarked on a journey to lose some weight and get healthier. My goal was never about a number on the scale, it’s beyond my control any specific week. What I eat, drink and how I move are in my control. That is where my goals were and are focused.

So it goes with scores

Your daughter seems quite talented with lots of potential from your other posts. IF you want your daughter to last in this crazy up and down sport, please help her to adjust her goals. A 38AA at EVERY meet? That allows no room for error and at some meets based on judges may not even be possible no matter how perfectly your daughter competes. Your daughter has a lot of years to go in this sport, and the skills and risks will get harder as she goes up in levels. It would be really good to help her adjust goals now- to things that are in her control before she gets to upper optionals. My fear is that a goal like hers right now has the potential to reinforce in her mind that she isn't good enough. One day your daughter will be done with this sport and all she will be left with is the memories and lessons learned. Do you want her to look back and remember all the times she wasn't good enough or be proud of what she did accomplish?
This is why I rarely post in this place yall read way to much into it. My daughter on her first meet came up short on her 38 goal. She wasn’t mad at all because she still took 1st but everyone has a goal. Some have a goal to go to the Olympics some has a goal of a full ride to a D1 college who are you or anyone else to tell any kid to adjust their goals and dreams. If that’s what my daughter wants to do then my wife and I are behind her 110%. Yall need to stop acting like yall know everything trying to break down a comment. I asked about vault not to break down my daughter goals

@Lance there are parents on this forum with so much knowledge and experience. They are trying nothing more than to help you help your daughter achieve her long term goal. Suggesting that you help your young daughter adjust her goals and mental outlook to a more attainable achievement is commendable. Your backlash goes against everything this place is about, open helpful communication. When things are said over and over by people from all areas of this country in the same sport maybe you should take a moment to reflect on what is being said.

I will put it this way and maybe it will help. An athlete can have all the talent in the world but is she leaves her sport she can not reach her goals.

The easiest way to score high at Level 7 vault is to be able to do the real vault. For example... if an athlete can do a good layout Yurchenko... then they should be able to score a 9.5 or up at Level 7 doing the timer.

Here's what I saw at a recent meet...

Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 9.59.55 AM.png

This same meet 2 years ago (front handspring) had 67 athletes score above a 9.475. This meet is Circle of Stars.

I don't think anyone was trying to "break down" your daughter's goals. It is great to have a goal and work for it. I think it is hard to have a goal based on someone else's opinion on any given day.

Parents who have been around a while were just giving some advice based on something you told them. That is what we do. This is a new vault, and judges, coaches, and gymnasts are still learning what to do with it. It will take time. and really, the progression is the key!!

Judges can vary from day to day. My son had a judge this weekend that took almost a full point off of his rings for something that know one seemed to know about. It killed his AA. But...because his goals were to make an event final, land his double lay off high bar, and hit is pommel, he let the score go. He met 2 of 3 goals.

Over the years, many of us have seen super talented, highly driven girls burnout because they weren't winning every meet, or they didn't have a certain score. So while it seems like criticism it really is just some good advice from parents who have been there and seen it.

Your daughter seems super driven and highly talented, and young. Things are going to get harder and harder. It won't come as easily. That drive will have to get her through, as well as some grit. Good luck to her!

@Lance there are parents on this forum with so much knowledge and experience. They are trying nothing more than to help you help your daughter achieve her long term goal. Suggesting that you help your young daughter adjust her goals and mental outlook to a more attainable achievement is commendable. Your backlash goes against everything this place is about, open helpful communication. When things are said over and over by people from all areas of this country in the same sport maybe you should take a moment to reflect on what is being said.

I will put it this way and maybe it will help. An athlete can have all the talent in the world but is she leaves her sport she can not reach her goals.
Then that’s a decision she has to live with. My goal as a parent is to do my best to get all my kids to be the best adult they can be and help them get to their dreams, but one thing I’m not gonna do is tell me daughter “naw baby you should adjust that dream because more then likely you can’t do it” you may have a girl in your gym with not a lick of talent but will you crush a little girls dreams of doing what she wants to do? These are kids (well my daughter is) let them have goals and dreams

@Lance I think you are blind to what is being said. No one said for you to tell your daughter she has no talent, its probably the opposite. She probably has loads of talent but as you say she is young and she needs you to guide her to accomplish her dreams. It was suggested you HELP, as a parent should, her change her goals or simply focus on skill acquisition and not scores as a way to judge progress. If you don't want to hear what others have to say why read the forum why ask questions? Good luck to your daughter.

I have a L7 daughter in Region 5. We have only had two meets so far, but the high vault scores in every age group in every session at both meets were around 9.1-9.3. There was one outlier at one meet in one session with a 9.5. The VAST majority of scores are clustering between 8.5 and 9.0. There is not as much variability in vault scores as in other events. I checked a few other meets in our area (mymeetscores), and this seems to be consistent -- at least in Region 5. (Also, for what it's worth, one of the best vaulters on my DD's team is the smallest, weighing in at about 55 lbs dripping wet. She has good explosive power though!)
Good luck to your daughter this season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back