WAG Vault Table Fears

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I grew up vaulting on the old horse (not particularly well, admittedly, but basically competent), but that was 20 years ago. I never actually competed as a child and I completely missed the transition from the horse to the table. I'm having a lot of trouble adjusting to the table. It's an issue with both the FHS and tsuk-entries--I can nicely land them to my feet with stacked mats, but I will balk at the table every single time without a spot. I can't even bring myself to do a squat or straddle through (just squat/pike-ons). As an adult athlete I have very limited access to a coach who can spot, so I need to find a way to train through the fear issues mostly on my own.

Again--the basic skills are safe, it's just a fear of taking them over the table. Ideally, I'd like to compete a 1/2 on with repulsion to feet (level NAIGC developmental). Does anyone have any suggestions on working through this?

I started off with just going over the table. Forward rolls mostly. Then forward rolls putting my hands further and further. Then some heel drive and I had an front handspring (well, maybe it didn't look like that the first times). Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back