WAG vault- uhhh what to do when they just don't get it

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

They haven't done anything like that but this past practice they were having her run and jump with no springboard just like she would if their was one and try to jump straight up onto a resi mat and she was able to do it every time. After she showed she could do it a few times they would bring her back to the vault and again she couldn't get up much less over. So they would send her back to do it again. They don't do much in the way of drills, they just go for it.

They haven't done anything like that but this past practice they were having her run and jump with no springboard just like she would if their was one and try to jump straight up onto a resi mat and she was able to do it every time. After she showed she could do it a few times they would bring her back to the vault and again she couldn't get up much less over. So they would send her back to do it again. They don't do much in the way of drills, they just go for it.

--
Sounds like they are working on it, just be patient, it takes YEARS for some kids and others may never get good at them. Not to mention it's trick that you hardly ever see in upper level optionals.

It does sound like they're working on it but if I had a kid that was as far from it as you say I would go back a couple steps. Rather than do the drill they were doing and then go right back to it, have her do that drill for a week or more, then the next drill, and the next. And she needs more flat backs, tons more. And then flat backs to a mat behind the table. I agree that she will get it eventually if she just keeps trying but it's frustrating for all. I think they should go to a place she can vault comfortably and work on changing it bit by bit until she's ready. Once in a while they can try one over the table to see how the progress is going, but if she's not ready, step back down. This advice comes from a coach whose girls spent almost all summer doing straight jumps (after competing old 5), before moving to flat backs over the table. Their scores have gone up by about .8-1.0 a gymnast.

Vault is my DD nemesis too. Is your DD small?? Does she even get over???
Mine is. She is also scared of the vault. Some days she does the front handspring OK, other days she doesn't even get over.
Head coach also is like 'don't worry she will be fine'. On the other events she is training L5! ( she just finished L3)
I guess if she has everything else, they could not hold her back!!
Don't worry, she will get it.....reps and time, and speed!
PS our small L10 could never do a good FHS vault. She does a yurchenko instead.

My dd did vault for the first time during her last session ans she ended up in tears because she couldn't get it right and keep making the same mistake, her coach took her aside and told her not to worry and that she will soon get it, her coach was right, she did end up doing it better during that session.

My dd is 7 and is very small and light so vault is going to be hard for her during these early stages. Dd's group are working on handstand flat backs and building to handspring vaults (what ever that is).

Well, DD was at camp for spring break this week. She did fine on Monday, but that was it.
She was not able to do it the rest of the week. Crying, stopping, stopping crying....Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday!!!!

I wish the coaches could be more helpful than, you have to get over, you have to do it now! You have to!!!! Oh well.....

I told DD that when she DECIDES to do it she can do it. When she DECIDES NOT to she can't do it.....no gray area with vault.

She will get it. I know she will....in the mean time, many hugs and kisses and tissues.

On the flip side, she did BWO on high beam solo, cast handstand, (no solo) and a really nice ROBHS back layout, on track....a really nice one too! Coach was surprised.

Well, DD was at camp for spring break this week. She did fine on Monday, but that was it.
She was not able to do it the rest of the week. Crying, stopping, stopping crying....Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday!!!!

I wish the coaches could be more helpful than, you have to get over, you have to do it now! You have to!!!! Oh well.....

I told DD that when she DECIDES to do it she can do it. When she DECIDES NOT to she can't do it.....no gray area with vault.

She will get it. I know she will....in the mean time, many hugs and kisses and tissues.

On the flip side, she did BWO on high beam solo, cast handstand, (no solo) and a really nice ROBHS back layout, on track....a really nice one too! Coach was surprised.
==
ohh.... well thats a different story. So she is running down and stopping? If so then this is an completely different topic.

Feeling the FHS frustrations too! DD never got above an 8.6 all year, and she scored 37.25 at states, so imagine how good it would have been if she could vault! Very frustrating.

I could have written this post myself. My daughter did old 4 last year and while she struggled with vault in the beginning of the season, by the end of the season she got it together and was scoring high 9's. In the first meet of new level four, she had a 6.5 on her FHS vault. I approached her coaches and asked if she should be scratching until she fixes that or if they could do privates to help her. They refused both. Unfortunately, it has not improved very much. Her highest score has been a 7.8 and she has states next weekend. I suspect that it will be the same or lower, because it has not changed at all. She has been scoring 9's on every other event. It is obviously really affecting her all-around score. Her problem is that she does not block off of the table. She arches off. I have watched enough practices to know that they her not doing anything specific to help her. They usually do a "pop pop" drill where they are running, hitting the springboard, and pop-popping their hands on a mat - if that makes sense. She can pop, but only a little. They have one other drill where they run on the floor and do a front handspring on a mat into the pit. She does fine with that. But when it comes to the actual table, she just completely arches off. Her run is great and she does not slow down. When they do the drill where they run, hit the springboard, and jump up straight onto the vault table, she's able to do that perfectly. I really do not know what her problem is. They mentioned shoulder flexibility, but she does not have a problem on any other skill and her tumbling skills are very advanced. She has also been doing a lot of shoulder flexibility exercises at home... every day... all season. I had asked them to videotape her because she is a really visual learner and I am not sure that she is always aware of what her own body is doing... but they haven't. So I guess we kind of have two problems, her vault and the fact that no one seems very concerned about fixing it! Sigh.

My daughter was horrible at this vault. She just began scoring well on it in Level 7. It took her two years to get there. Don't worry, my dd's Yurchenko pike and tuck look way better and were easier for her to get. Go figure! I'm just relieved to be past them. I feel your pain though, stick in there, it gets better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back