Coaches Vaulting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was wondering what the typical vault setting is when you start your vaulters going over the vault? Is it better to start higher or start lower?

Also, do you know if their are required minimums for different levels?

There are no height requirements other than that they be within the maximum vault height (I forget the exact measurement of maximum height, but I know it's at 6 on most tables I've seen).

I generally have my girls start with it fairly low, and then adjust it according to where I think they need it.

The key is that the vault needs to be high enough that they hit it solidly before they rotate past vertical. However, it also needs to be low enough that they don't spend all their energy just getting to the table, so that they have enough momentum when they hit to get a good block off.

In Canada, our girls under twelve (non elite) have the vault set at 115cm, the high school age girls have it set at 125cm or FIG standard.

Geoffrey your explanation has finally helped me work out why the vault looks so low in many youtube vids I have watched of USAG compulsories. My DD would be thrilled, it is so much work for her to just get onto the vault, a pop off is a challenge, flopping over the top is more like it!!!

Your system makes so much more sense.

I typically start lower and then go from there--just as GT said.

Another question for vault--do you folks believe in putting a sting mat (or some sort of 4in or smaller) on the vault table when the kids first learn going over? Personally, I don't see the need for it since they're able to use the whole table and I'd be spotting them anyways. If the old horse were still in use, then yes I'd use a mat, but I feel the table gives the kids enough comfort, space, and assurance to complete a vault.

If they're actually performing the vault with a landing, the answer would be "no" most of the time because at this point there should be no reason from a confidence perspective. However, I do sometimes cushion the table with a sting mat as a protective means...just to save the wear and tear on their wrists, elbows, and shoulders.

When kids are first learning to go over the table, I've always got them just doing handsprings to their back and stuff. So, "yes," I will often pull a mat over the table until they're confident and understand that the suede on the table is nothing more demanding than what they were doing with the 4 incher. It's just a little firmer.

The beauty of putting in this step is that is helps me to alleviate the need to spot, usually. Essentially, I'm just progressing on from the doing the handstand falls (to their back) that they've been doing in preparation. If I'm spotting, it's purely for shaping purposes and nothing more. If I have to spot for something more, then I've gone to fast with that gymnast and we need to back up.

I agree; I sometimes put a sting mat or a 4-incher over the table when having girls do handsprings to their backs in preparation for learning a handspring vault, but I don't do it when they're doing the actual handspring to their feet.

We have height limits in Australia aswell. The level 7-10's here must vault at 125 cm's which is the standard international height. Our level 6's can vault between 120-125 cm's. Level 5's from 110-125 and level 4's from 105-125. With a small kid lower is better, with a kid who does not get much power from the board lower is better but therwise we tend to keep it high. It can be easier to vault on a higher setting, the kids tend to stay open a little better.

i have a question, im just learning tsuks and im the only one doing them now so i was wondering what would be a good vault height for me. i don't want to put it on 6 cuz i can barely make it over. im 5'6" if that helps. im sorry its such a vague question

i have a question, im just learning tsuks and im the only one doing them now so i was wondering what would be a good vault height for me. i don't want to put it on 6 cuz i can barely make it over. im 5'6" if that helps. im sorry its such a vague question

I can't really tell you without seeing you vault. In fact, I probably couldn't tell you without coaching you for a week or so at least. Really, you want it at whatever setting works best for you.

It should be high enough that you can contact it on the way up in a correct entry, and block off of it solidly. You don't want it too low, because then you'll have to reach down and have a low entry, killing a lot of potential power.

It should be low enough that you haven't run out of steam by the time you block; you should still be moving up and forward with enough force to block off the table and get significant additional height. You don't want it too high, because this tends to cause your hands to remain on the table too long, and kills your block.

At 5'6", however, getting over a table at 6 (assuming 6 on your table is the same as 6 on the one at my gym) shouldn't be too difficult if you have a proper entry; it's completely possible that there are other problems you need to fix besides table height, most likely occurring in your hit on the springboard and your preflight. But this is pure speculation on my part; the best person to ask is your coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back