WAG Vaults at 9 and 10

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! My daughter is doing 7/8 this season and so vault has been on my mind a lot recently. I’m curious about the vaults where the gymnast does a front handspring off the springboard and then a tsuk or another front handspring before flipping (Whitman, Zuhlke, etc). My daughter has become interested in these sorts of vaults given that she is a strong front tumbler. It looks like she couldn’t compete them anyway till 9/10 but I was wondering how commonly these sorts of vaults are competed compared to tsuks and yurchenkos? Do they tend to score well? Just curious what parents of upper level gymnasts have noticed. Thanks!

I don't know a whole lot about this level, but I did hear at a work meeting that they weren't very common.

My level 10 daughter does a front entry vault. She is usually the only one at a meet doing that entry, was the only one at states not doing a yurchenko vault. Coaches do not favor them as it a difficult to get a 10 start value. In my opinion they are undervalued.

I think the front handspring onto the board (Whitman, Zuhlke) is extremely rare.

A front handspring vault (the level 4/5 vault, but flipping) is something you will see at those levels, but not as common as yurchenko or tusk.

This is such an interesting topic! I showed it to my daughter who is also a strong front tumbler and she would like to consider some of these vaults but said no one at her gym does them so she will never have an opportunity to train them. If a gym doesn't train these vaults it's probably not going to happen. It must take a very out of the box gym to train these.

. It must take a very out of the box gym to train these.
I don’t think it has to do with the gym being “out of the box”. Honestly front entry vaults are hard and require a different type of strength than the yurchenko. Really has to do with getting a 10 start value at level 10. A front - front is a 9.7 start, a front - pike a 9.8. These are the most common front vaults. Most coaches want a 10 start value at level 10. That being said there are many level 10s doing yurchenko vaults that are not a 10 start.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back